SignAmigo

Cutter Choices

Hey Guys.

Been a long time since I posted.

I am a sign designer looking to get back into making some signs. (www.signamigo.com) So I'm shopping for a vinyl cutter.

I'm not looking into getting into quick sign shop type signs (banners, coro signs, magnetics etc), rather I only want to make higher end hand made dimensional type signs. So this cutter won't be used 8 hours a day. I really only want to use it for cutting paint mask, possibly plotting patterns, and where vinyl might be needed as embelishment on a sign.

I thought about an older Roland PNC1100, since I've owned one in the past and loved it. It's slow, but a real workhorse. But I think I'd rather have something newer, only because I forsee less problems getting it setup and running off of windows.

So I'm looking for something reliable that will be there when I need it, and that hopefully I can run directly from Corel Draw

Do any of the US Cutter models fit that description? Would the SC series be enough for me? I've always owned Rolands before, so I don't want to be disappointed with my purchase. I can always look for a used unit if need be.

Thanks!

Phillip

• Like 1

After owning a Roland any of the value cutters will be a let down . There are some midline simi professional cutters but if you can afford it I would go with the Roland they start out at about $1600.00 and if you watch you can find demo or refurbed even lower . At the min I would go with a pcut if you can't afford the roland or graphtec .

Dan

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the honest input. Maybe I'll keep looking for a used PNC 1100. Those tend to be in my price range ($300 or so)

At the price point of $300, you can certainly benefit from owning the SC.

If you order one, be aware of the manufacturing flaw regarding the right-hand pinch-roller assembly.

The factory installs the set-stop screw too far over to the right on the rear rail, and that position allows that roller to completely MISS the grit roller underneath. I have mentioned this a few times in these threads, and feel it is worth mentioning each and every time someone asks about the SC.

At some point, the Chinese factory will correct this, but in the meantime, it's a serious defect (vinyl will just crumple and not feed properly if you slide the pinch-rollers all the way over to the right, beyond the grit roller, where the set-position is improperly defined).

How long have you owned yours? Have you owned other cutter brands to compare it to? Are you happy with the reliability and cut accuracy?

I upgraded from the MH Refine 34" and have used this SC (LIYU) 34" since May of this year.

It's an OK unit, but I'm not completely in love with the stepper motor operation (I would much prefer a quieter, servo cutter).

Accurate? Yep.

Fast? I've seen higher-end machines blow it away.

Efficient? Never had it glitch. (serial connectivity)

At some point I'll get it sold on craigslist and take out a loan for a ZenBlack.

Hey Slice ,

What is the difference in the green to black Zen ?. USCutter has refurbed greens for $700 this week .

Hey Slice ,

What is the difference in the green to black Zen ?. USCutter has refurbed greens for $700 this week .

I think the main difference is the Black has the emulated tangencial cutting head and comes with a stand and media basket. Does the refurb come with a stand?

I believe so ( almost sure :) ) , They have a weekly e-mailing list you can subscribe to . The sale lasts for 2 days & it has been more than that . Jacelyne ( sp ? ) sends it out & seems to be in charge of that ( contact her if interested in that deal ) . I have 2 Copams that I have been very pleased with for 5 years , but have been thinking about upgrading every time I get some spare $$$ . I am a fan of buying the refurbs even though I have never done that . Having a machine checked out by the USC techs is much better than taking an unopened box IMO .. even if it had a problem & was sent back for repairs ..

ZenBlack is on my wish list for Hanukkah.

For sure want the media basket, and that "emulated tangential cutting head" sure sounds like I should have it (provides a higher quality of cut).

Go Graphtec or go home

Once you go Black, you'll never go back.

I would look for one of the older Rolands if that is what your used too. There is just no comparison. If you are adamant on new go with a new Roland or Graphtec, Both are good mid-grade machines.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the help. Sounds like an older Roland is the way to go.

Anyone have a PNC 1100 they'd like to let go of? :)