carlytorres

What you do when clients start talking about another sign store?

A client came today with his brother to make some decals for his car. I was making them when this guys start making quistions about the price and saying that other guy sell the same at a lower price like a car sun vice in two colors from about 6x46 inches decal that I sell for $20 he said that the other guy sell it on $10. A 8x4 inches 3 color decal I sell it at $6 the said that the other guy sell it at $2 . My question is : how I have to deal with these people and how I know if my prices are really high?

I wonder why they didn't get the other guy to do it.............was he closed, out to lunch? I think they was trying to talk you down some.

I wonder why they didn't get the other guy to do it.............was he closed, out to lunch? I think they was trying to talk you down some.

They said that the other guy is 45 minutes away and Im 15 minutes In car from their house, today was the first time the came to my business maybe looking for price and because they needed the work fast. I dont know if they will come another day :-/ (sorry about my english im form puerto rico hehehe)

Do these people realize that a 45 minute drive is going to burn the "savings" by using fuel??? I probably would've told them where to go and how quickly they could get there as nice as I could!!

• Like 1

Jeremy has a good point about the gas they would burn. Maybe they will come back.

Your English is fine, I understand what you're saying...:-)

• Like 1

I am pretty harsh but I tell them to go there then and proceed to ask them to leave.

If they want to discuss it all I tell them is that I can only give you my prices with my materials. Then proceed to give the sales pitch about you specific materials and the brand itself, not just "premium vinyl" that comes from the cheapest vendor on ebay, How you rotate your stock to keep everything current and in date, and how your expertise in this field will give them a professional product that is more than worth the price you are asking.

Just because you can make the product (everyone with 200 dollars and a computer can make any vinyl decal) does not set you ahead of anyone else. You need to become a business man (or woman) and sell your products at the best prices your market will allow. That is what makes or breaks every 2 bit shop that opens up.

• Like 1

thanks , I think people here in Puerto Rico want things for free B)

Its like that everywhere... They want the impossible for free...

Bruce

• Like 1

I would have sent them down the road to the flea market! Three color layout with cut vinyl for $6 is crazy and a PITA! You should have let them know your shop min. is $45 or what ever it is.

• Like 1

thats one thing i Hate,, I know never turn down a job, but, if someone told me that they could get it cheaper somewhere else, i would honestly just tell them to go there then.

there 45 minuets away, all for 10 cheaper which that is what they will pay in gas to get there and back lol.

But yea, if that was the case, tell em, ok no problem have a good day. I dont mind dropping the price a little, but not 10 dallors, for something like that,

if ya did drop it, they would of told there friends and so one and they all would be trying to stuff ya out of cash.

• Like 1

thats one thing i Hate,, I know never turn down a job, but, if someone told me that they could get it cheaper somewhere else, i would honestly just tell them to go there then.

there 45 minuets away, all for 10 cheaper which that is what they will pay in gas to get there and back lol.

But yea, if that was the case, tell em, ok no problem have a good day. I dont mind dropping the price a little, but not 10 dallors, for something like that,

if ya did drop it, they would of told there friends and so one and they all would be trying to stuff ya out of cash.

I could tell them where to go quick fast and in a hurry and it may not be the other sign shop . There are the same type people in the home improvement business too always that the Joe blow construction co is cheaper I just smile and tell them that they should go with them then but no they want me to do the job because they know I will do a good job they just want me to match the other price it never happens if any thing I add a little for the aggravation . I will never give a price that is not fair but I will not work for subpar wages either . Give a fair price that you are satisfied with and they take it or leave it .

Dan

• Like 1

This happens a lot at all kind of businesses. I sold equipment at a John Deere dealership right after graduating from school in Des Moines. It's a common tactic used when trying to get a better price.

We also sold Stihl chainsaws, trimmers, etc. There were 5ish Stihl dealerships also in the area, usually within 5 miles of our store. "I usually do a lot of business with "Business A" up the street, why should I buy here?" My response - Well why aren't you there?

They obviously either A) Disrespected their old supplier and wasn't welcome anymore or B) Are too ignorant to see high quality products with the customer service to back those products up. Let them leave, you probably don't want their business anyways.

• Like 1