jeremychance

New SC owner, new to cutting

Hi All,

I am a new SC owner, and new to vinyl cutting. I am hoping someone can point me to info on calibrating my machine? I've cut a number of things already, but there are distortions. Particularly, straight lines perpendicular to the face of the cutter have slight curves from the corner. Please see the attached image of a test pattern, the bottom left corner is the most noticeable and typical distortion I am experiencing.

post-25483-0-26068200-1340569754.jpg

Thanks!

Jeremy

Hi - it looks like your blade offset is off, what software program are you using? if you are using Signblazer you should have

your offset around .25- at least that is where it should be set with the Pcut and I think it is the same for the SC,

however I could be wrong. I am not sure if you can change the offset setting on the SC machine itself.

Hi - it looks like your blade offset is off, what software program are you using? if you are using Signblazer you should have

your offset around .25- at least that is were it should be set with the Pcut and I think it is the same for the SC,

however I could be wrong. I am not sure if you can change the offset setting on the SC machine itself.

Hi MB20Music,

I was able to find the offset setting in the cutter setup menu. It was set to .0098. So, I'll start playing with those settings! Many thanks

a very good read to help you get started, download in first post

http://forum.uscutte...your-first-cut/

Hi Skeeter,

Thanks for the suggestion. I read the document, and it leads me to understand that most cutters have an X/Y axis calibration method, but I am not seeing it in the SC series manual. I'll keep looking!

Anybody else encounter this issue, or have calibration tips?

Thanks!

Jeremy

what cutting software are you using?

Your problem looks like blade offset settings. start at 0.25MM and adjust at .05 + or minus and see which way gets better.

Update:

It turned out to be more serious than offset settings. The left carriage wheel was actually off the track. It seemed wrong to me, but I didn't know any better so I didn't look terribly close at first. It was corrected easily, and the .25 mm offset settings are quite accurate. I just hope I didn't damage the machine. A pen plot test sounded better than before (obviously) and looked a lot better too. I cleaned the track because some paint got scraped off. It feels a little rougher, but not by much.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the suggestions and the welcomes.

Jeremy, howdy!

I wouldn't worry about anything from this point forward, since you have gotten it re-aligned and that'll be fine.

Those are well-built machines, and can likely provide years of reliable work.