OWJones

Copyright/trademark question - local public schools?

I know that attempting to make designs based around college/university names and/or athletic team logos is wrong, wrong and more wrong. However, what about local public schools funded by tax payer dollars?

Has anyone investigated the legalities around producing "My child is an honor student at <local public school>" or "<local public school> Football is #1!" and similar items?

I know I can't be the first one to be curious and I'm guessing one of you has already learned the answer - and hopefully you'll share you're knowledge!

Thanks,

Michael

It is a logo or trade mark that is protected in black & white . It can also be a saying etc that is associated with a specic business etc . but if a generic saying , not much concern IMO .I have read the copyright law , but don't remember the exact wording . 1 thing I do remember is ' If something makes you think of the copyrighted company , it is infringement " . My take is if you are making a few for family & friends , not much exposure even if not completely legal . Make them in volume for sale , you better make sure the i is dotted & t is crossed precisely .

I contacted 3 of my local school boards and asked about making stuff with the team mascot... 2 of them said go ahead as long as it promoted school spirit and wasn't being negative towards the team or school spirit and the 3rd said I could make them but I had to make them for the school and they would sell them.... Basically that worked out best for me because the place large orders so I run off 50 at a time instead of 1 here and there... To sum it up as long as you have permission from the school board it is ok.....

• Like 1

I do alot of apparel for local schools. I also have rights to them and they set the pricing. Everything that leaves my shop for a school, either in walk in sale or thru the schools online spirit store has a set price that gets a portion back to that school district.

I know from working with them most do not take kindly to anyone reproducing things in multiples. Doing 1 for yourself and your daughter is fine but you start giving them to alot of others your taking away much needed dollars from your districts already low funding.

Please purchase these things from the right venues and support your local school where your children do or did attend.

• Like 1

... and the 3rd said I could make them but I had to make them for the school and they would sell them....

I wouldn't have a problem with that, except school is out for the year and they won't have much opportunity to sell them until next year.

I have some friends that run a small store downtown and they offered to put some of my decals out for display/sale and take orders for custom work, so I wanted something safe and popular to display and I'm trying to avoid anything that could be copyrighted or trademarked after reading some of the horror stories on these forums...

I'll try and contact the local school board and see what I can find out.

Yeah the school board is always in or have a superintendent that is there year round. For selling in a place like that look into what is popular in your area ie. hunting, fishing, hiking etc. and make a few of them that are not copyrighted then leave a picture book of the work you can do or have done and have the store take orders and give them a cut. You will need to make up a standard order form but that is easy.

You should be able to email someone in administration and they can patch you through to who you need to contact.....

as long as you just use the name of the school you are fine. Mascots,logos,etc are most likely trademarked.

• Like 2

as long as you just use the name of the school you are fine. Mascots,logos,etc are most likely trademarked.

That's what I was thinking... Our local school mascot is the Bulldog - and I've found the same bulldogs that the school has used for years on numerous websites as part of "free" vector clipart. They did get a local student to design new bulldog logo, so I'll need to call the school board next week and find out about that, but I was planning to stick with mostly text and the occasional paw print.

I don't mind cutting the school in for a share of any profits, I just need something that will be popular. The store that my friends run is a combination body piercing parlor, with a large selection of body jewelry / neon hair dye / retro-gaming store (older video game consoles and games) / local artist studio where they have several professional photos, drawings, sculptures, etc. It is a rather eclectic collection and draws a mostly younger crowd. I've got a large selection of hunting, fishing, etc. and so I'll try some of those and see how they do.

Thanks for all the advice!

Make sure you have a display board of some sort showing that anything you cut can be customized... I do a lot of horse heads and sports figure with a name...

I sent off an email to the president of the local school board asking about copyright issues. She forwarded it on to their public relations/communications manager and two weeks later she got back to me to say "public school names are not covered by copyright".

I'm going to err on the side of profit and assume that means I'm safe. Right after I print a copy of her e-mail and file it away for safe keeping...