OWJones

Another layered vinyl on tile

Link to related story - http://www.hlntv.com...d-having-affair

One of our reserve sheriff deputies was killed a little over a week ago, and as you can imagine that sort of thing doesn't get overlooked in a small town. When people on a local, public forum started asking about memorial window decals, someone mentioned my small start-up and next thing I knew I was opening my big mouth and offering to make the memorial decals fo' free - as in I eat the cost of vinyl, labor, etc. (it's a long story and it seemed to make sense at the time).

So, of course things blow up completely out of control and the decals are selling as fast as I can make them (all the money is going to the "Shop with a Cop" charity in the deceased's name) and I'm getting requests to make them and mail them all over the country. Yay!

Today I met with the girl's mother to present her with a stack of 10 decals for her family. I also cut one extra big and applied it to a 11.5"x11.5" tile for her (see attached).

The good news I'm scoring tons of local good will and orders for other jobs are pouring in, the bad news is I'm almost out of green and sunflower vinyl (got some ordered) *and* I have to return to my *real* job first thing in the morning and work 10 hours shifts, so I'm going to be up until the wee hours every night cutting, weeding, picking and layering... fun, fun, fun.... Zzzzz.....

Quick edit with something I overlooked - the 67-17 in the middle is her badge number which the sheriff's dept. has officially retired.

post-24492-0-72441900-1339037692.jpg

Edited by OWJones
  • Like 1

Looks good though, It's a tough job and often goes unthanked.

My vision stopped me from being hired by the Polk County Sherriffs Dept. here in Iowa. APPARENTLY you're required to have better than 20/100 uncorrected vision, and 20/20 corrected. Can't tell me there's not an old fat cop that is worse off than me or anything. Anyways- I get to be here with all of you great people instead so I am good.

Everyone will ALWAYS remember your charity and free will, in turn they will also, or should expect to pay well for quality work otherwise.

This may sound cold but please tell me 1989 was her start date not birth date?.... Regardless you are doing a great thing for your community and if Earl Hickey taught us anything you will be rewarded

No, she was only 23 and expecting...... SAD story.

I heard about this through the grapevine. My brother in law is a Des Moines Police Officer, City-OF... We haven't lost anyone in a while thank goodness- although a few close calls.

In the past couple years we had a guy run from my brother in law and 2 other officers, in the pursuit they attempted to pull the guy out of his truck, when his partner got knocked over, and the guy ran over his head and pelvis with an F150. His partner was in critical for a long time- and after 9 or so months was back on the job.

Another officer was shot in the hand- while trying to apprehend a guy who'd shot his wife dead and was boarded up in his apartment.

the latest, an out of state driver, during the Iowa state fair- hit an officer and threw him 40 feet or so with an F350 (if I remember correctly), that's been a year ago, and the officer is just now starting to really recover, and speak/walk etc.

Prayers to those who serve and protect.

You have my utmost respect for doing that. I have been a volunteer law enforcement officer for the past 32 years and still do it as an Auxiliary State Trooper. It is a thankless job, and in most cases, mine included you don't get paid anything. I have attended way to many funerals in my career and there is nothering more sobering than an " end of watch announcement" made over the police radio at a funeral. You are doing a great service and it is done very nicely.

Mark

• Like 1

As soon as the City of DSM starts seeking reserve officers, I will be the first in line. It's paid at 1$/year so it technically isn't volunteer, although it IS> I could care less- It is a fantastic way to serve the community. Even the turds that we have in today's society.

We had a horrible instance here..... And I am in no way trying to take from this story but ours burns my behind so bad on what the big brother knows and doesn't share..... Look up the recent story from the bank robbery in Ravenna Michigan and look at how the FBI had been chasing the subjects but yet didnt' warn our local law inforcement........ Its an on going deal but a lot of the stories from the news have "magically" disappeared..... I have been on this story since day one and have had countless BS charges against me since...... IT IS JUST SCARY!!!!! There is a whole nationwide following on what happened here.... Again I am in no way taking from the OP but wanted to voice my opinion on what is happening in our own back yards......