Sign in to follow this  
wilson750

Transfer tape help!!

I am new to this..I made up two coroplast signs,I have a problem getting the vinyl to stick on the transfer tape!! Any tips would be great!! I bought a roll of transfer tape from ebay!!

I haven't had a need to do any of those signs yet, but I have learned one thing not all application tape is the same.  I was given a recommendation on here for 'Perfect Tear' and we it works SO much better than a roll we too got off Ebay.

I'm sure someone will post soon on how to help you more with your signs.

Jenny

You can't just place the tape on the vinyl and go...you have to squeegie the tape down HARD onto the vinyl. There is a difference in tape but the type of vinyl also makes a difference. In my experience, gloss vinyl is easier to stick to than matte.

It is also helpful to turn the work over,and peel the paper from the vinyl, instead of trying to pull the vinyl up with the tape.

On coroplast... I get great results,no bubbles,when doing dry, by rubbing down with the squeegie first..ALWAYS rubbing in the direction of the flutes,never across. THEN I use a tennis ball (Thanks,Bear!) to rub down again,in the direction of the flutes...both before and after removing the tape. GReat results every time.

Do not despair... as with all things, it just takes practice.

Also, I agree with the previous poster..PerfectTear is the best I've used so far.

Tennis ball? hmm..I will have to try that!! I just have been using a credit card to press it down.. Iv been pressing hard..when i am pulling it off i have to let it lay back down and press again for the letters that dont stick!! also when you pull the transfer tape out to lay on top of the vinly,is there any trick you have for me on that?

Thanks for the help

One thing I found out late is that there are different tackyness to the adhesives on application tape. I had the opposite problem with mine at first. I couldn't get the application tape off of my vinyl. Now I know to ask for the proper "Tack" when I order it.

Tennis ball? hmm..I will have to try that!! I just have been using a credit card to press it down.. Iv been pressing hard..when i am pulling it off i have to let it lay back down and press again for the letters that dont stick!! also when you pull the transfer tape out to lay on top of the vinly,is there any trick you have for me on that?

Thanks for the help

Sometimes,the odd letter won't stick. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. The thing with coroplast is that it is not totally flat. You have to force the vinyl down into the grooves (hence the tennis ball). Last week my brother did TWO 4x8 feet coroplast signs..4 colors,shadowed text, with a huge graphic. I tremble at the thought.

I also heard to use a rivet brush to get in the grooves on the coraplast

That's what I heard too but after seeing the prices of the rivet brush...well I can get 60 tennis balls for the same price.

(mini hijack) ... Why is colorplast problematic? ... and what are flutes?  :P

(mini hijack) ... Why is colorplast problematic? ... and what are flutes?  :P

Once you learn the cords, you can make magical music on the flutes.

:)

dang ... maybe I can hook-up with the Lucky Charms leprechaun, the Trix bunny, and the Tucan from Fruit Loops and we'll be all set to start our own band ... I could also hire the Keebler elves for back-up.  :) :) :P

Naw, but seriously ... what is colorplast and flutes? ... or maybe it's code in some kind of secret cutting society that I'm not invited to  :'(

The flutes are the hollow areas iside of the coroplast. When you see a metal step-stake stuck into one,it is stuck into the flutes.