Sign in to follow this  
Benr98

FDC Vinyl is bubbling

I recently bought a couple rolls of FDC, and for me it doesn't seem to cut as well for smaller detailed graphics, so when I enlarged the graphic it cut well, than placed on the back auto glass, it bubbled!  I was doing a 2 color, black Oracal 651 and white FDC, the black was fine....any ideas?

Thanks.

Jenny

It was applied dry and the glass was room temp (it's a spare side window we practice with in the house)  :lol:

FDC was the bottom layer and it was applied dry.

Myron believe it may be the transfer tape, he really doesn't care for it....I do have an order of Perfect Tear on it's way here now.

I have never had much luck with doing dry on glass. The bubbles aren't the fault of the vinyl except to the extent that some adhesive is stronger than others and doesn't allow much room to squeegie out the bubbles.

Remember,once it sticks when dry, it's pretty much where you put it. Unless you are very VERY good,you are likely to have a few bubbles when doing dry. The glass is solid and the air has nowhere to go.

Try wet and see what happens.

Ok BannerJohn, going to go cut it again and try it wet.  I'll let you know what happens.

Hey before I forgot, how do you apply your vinyl wet, meaning what solution?

Jenny

The application tape can make a difference...too much tac and it can pull sections up. The importnat bit is HOW you remove the tape. ALWAYS pull the tape off,back against itself... NOT directly up.

im doing a 2-digit #......2 layers..........first # i did dry, more bubbles than a glass of champagne............2 # did wet, not 1 bubble.  Even was using clear app tape.

David

a little secret I use.....I leave a TINY bit of the edge top and bottom of the vinyl uncovered by tape. This helps to line up if I have a reference line,but also gives the fluid someplace to go. Speeds up the tape removal.

Well got the roll of Perfect Tear application tape and did another 2 color decal with it.....all I can say is:  :woohoo:  it did WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks for recommending that application tape we LOVE IT!!! No bubbles, no problems!!  :you rock:

Jenny

Guest Terry

The application tape can make a difference...too much tac and it can pull sections up. The importnat bit is HOW you remove the tape. ALWAYS pull the tape off,back against itself... NOT directly up.

Here is what I do, one more tip... Spray the front of the transfer tape - wait till it turns milky an rolls up, now it will pull off without lifting your vinyl creating popping bubbles. Tip is NOT for clear tape.

PS- The spray soaks in to the transfer tape in about 3 minutes and releases the glue.

All the vinyl i use is fdc, I have a few bubbles here and there, All i do is a dry install, never have tried wet application, what i do if i get bubbles is (not sure if your suppose to do this or not) I use a very small sewing needle, the smallest you can find from the sewing department at walmart, I just poke the bubble in the center with the needle and work the bubble from outside in, works great if you only have a few, been lucky i dont usually have enough to worry about, Also make sure the surface is clean, dust and dirt and other contaminents can cause bubbles where the adhesive doesnt make contact. Most other bubbles i can usually squeege out the side.. Hope this helps, i am new myself...