markvvq

THICKENING LINE DRAWINGS

Is it possible or practicle to thicken up lines so they can be cut out in vinyl? I have a file I saved as an AI file and would like to make it into a vinyl sign. It gets a business name going through the open section!

Mark

DIAMOND-LG.ai

just choose the line and stroke it, then to be able to cut the line you have to convert that stroke to outline.

just choose the line and stroke it, then to be able to cut the line you have to convert that stroke to outline.

What do you mean by "stroke it"? Are you saying to change the line from a hairline to a thick line? I tried that and the lines ran together. Also how would you convert stroke to an outline. Would you convert to a .bmp and use trace?

Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to help me!

Mark

What do you mean by "stroke it"? Are you saying to change the line from a hairline to a thick line? I tried that and the lines ran together. Also how would you convert stroke to an outline. Would you convert to a .bmp and use trace?

Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to help me!

Mark

I tried to figure it out. Are you refering to using the caligraphy pen and converting the hairline to a stroke? That sort of worked but it made the lines wonky. I chose the paralell looking stroke and made the lines 5 mm. It seems like it would take a lot of work cutting and joining lines too. Maybe just easier to re-draw the project. I am trying to learn shortcuts to save on design time. I switched from Corell 12 to X5 and it is quite different.

If you select the line you want thicker, with the line selected right click a color, then change the strokes thickness to the desired thickness in in the option box at the top with the pen tip next to it. once its the thickness you want go to arrange and choose convert outlines to objects.

can you upload the image and tell me which lines you need thickened?

I u/l the file in my original post. I will need to thicken all lines. It might be more efficient to re draw it the correct thickness.

here is what I come up with... all lines are 1/16"

Wow, you did a much better job than I did. I did spend quite a bit of time trying to get it to work. I was unable to select all lines and apply the stroke globally. I tried ungrouping and that didn't help. I also tried using the weld command to fix overlaping lines and got a lot of extra bits that would not work. Would you mind telling me what steps you took to get it to this point. Also is Corel the best program for this kind of job?

Thanks for all of your help!

Mark

Actually I did everything I said in my first post but in the end I welded the diamond lines together and the letters together. I'll try to do a screen video and get you a link to it.

Actually I did everything I said in my first post but in the end I welded the diamond lines together and the letters together. I'll try to do a screen video and get you a link to it.

That would be great. I have used Corel for a while but for a completely different purpose. These tools are foreign to me.

Mark

Check your spelling.

are you talking about the e I left off of the word "completely".? Where is spell checker on this forum?

Spell checker works automatically when I write in the reply box. It makes a wavy red line under a word that is not spelled correctly..

Mark, I realize this is an old thread.....so not much help with this specific project.

But if you are using Corel and ever come across this issue again............it can easily be fixed in a few clicks

Group your Diamond art and select it

Add a small contour to the outside

Ctrl+K to break apart the contour group

Delete your original set of lines

Click, click, click...........you're all done

Should take you less than 10 seconds

Hope some of this information helps

I'm new to this forum, let me see if I can figure out how to attach a new eps for you

I did what you said and it did work after fideling with the offset. I gept getting the offset to large dialog. I will have to see if it is thick enough to cut. It would only go so big before it would fail. Also when I broke the contour there was nothing to delete. I only contouresd to the outside did you countour to both sides? I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thank You,

Mark

Something doesn't sound right

I used a contour to the outside at about .04 inches I think......I'm not in front of my computer to check for you right now

If you get a message like that in Corel, it's almost always because you have excessive nodes or you have a one or 2 nodes that are wacky

(1) After you do the first contour, that you think is too small, Ctrl+K to break the contour group apart

(2) Select the small contour you just made, switch to your shape tool, marquee select all the nodes on that contour and click on the reduce nodes button

(3) now try making a contour around that small contour

Bet you dollars to donuts it will now work like a charm.........

let me know

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I've been using/teaching Corel for about 20 years now, everyday, all day long

Every once in a while I hear of a 'strange' one but for the most part after all this time, I usually have a good guess as to what may be causing the issue (smile)

The part that's confusing me is when you said you didn't have anything to delete when you broke the contour apart

Are you contouring lines or are you contouring lines that have been converted to objects first?

Diane