Sign in to follow this  
Momster

Computer doesn't recognize cutter

Hi everyone, got my new Laser cutter ready to go, instatted software and blade. I can not figure out how to get the computer and cutter to "see" one another. How do I send something to be cut?? I need a driver, I think.

Diane

What software are you using and which cutter do you have? Are you trying to connect with USB or Serial?

Its a LaserPoint from USCutter, it came with SignBlazer. My laptop has "com 14" port and SB doesn't have tha option available.

Diane

You will need to go to your device manager and change the COM port # to something lower than 8. SignBlazer only reads up to COM8.

How can I change that in my computer?? I am putting it on my laptop and I only have #14 and #15 ports available. Not really sure where the 1st 13 are though!

Diane

Right click on the USB to Serial in your Device Manager, then click on Properties, then PortSettings tab, then the Advanced button, then change the COM port to 8 or lower. I would suggest 4-8, and if they are in use, try one anyhow.

Ken, I got that far, then when I clicked yes, the computer went to blue screen and shut down!!

Diane

Does it do this with every COM port you have tried? Not sure, Windows and USB is wonderful, isn't it?

:notsure:

Whew, finally got it to work, we did replace the cable, not really sure what worked in the end, just kept changing to different settings. Now, I need to learn how to use the SignBlazer.

Everything we would import changed into a bmp and it said it can't cut that. Thanks for your help Ken!! I hope it gets easier from here.

Diane

If you importaan aimage that isn't vectorized (bitmap,jpeg,etc,,and picture) it will say that. You have to vectorize it for it to cut. There are instructions elsewhere on the forum on how to do it in SignBlazer.

Glad to hear it is now communicating, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the cable.

:thumbsup: