randalle

vinyl on a softball?

I have a customer that asked if I could put vinyl on a softball to use as a trophy to give to the players at an all-star game. I think they are meant to be for display purposes only...

Good idea, bad idea, terrible idea??

I put one of my logo's on one to test conformity and even though it is only 651, it went on very well. I just don't want to do something that will peel and look bad. Obviously, playing with the ball will destroy the vinyl... but that is their decision.

Anyone ever done anything like this before? Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

I would warn them that the surface of a baseball is not the best for vinyl . I think 651 will work good though . I used 651 on a tire cover on a Jeep Wrangler I had . Held up great for several years . Still on the cover ... I kept it , sold the Jeep ... It had my company info on it . On very hot days , i could peel the letters off VERY easily & put them back on .

YW :)

What about cutting the design in reverse and painting the graphics on. I would spray it.

What about cutting the design in reverse and painting the graphics on. I would spray it.

Just a thought before hand... Make sure that when you pull the vinyl off that it doesn't pull the surface of the ball off with it

good luck

MM64 B)

cool idea snapper, just rattle can it with some spray paint?

Well if you don't have an airbrush it'll work just fine... Krylon would be my choice.

Just a thought before hand... Make sure that when you pull the vinyl off that it doesn't pull the surface of the ball off with it

good luck

MM64 B)

Gerber Mask is what I'd use has a non-permanent adhesive so it should not harm the surface at all. Or frisket paper.

I have a customer that asked if I could put vinyl on a softball to use as a trophy to give to the players at an all-star game. I think they are meant to be for display purposes only...

Good idea, bad idea, terrible idea??

I put one of my logo's on one to test conformity and even though it is only 651, it went on very well. I just don't want to do something that will peel and look bad. Obviously, playing with the ball will destroy the vinyl... but that is their decision.

Anyone ever done anything like this before? Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

I tried that as well...no luck the vinyl would not stay stuck to the ball. I was using a new ball. The cover has too much oil in it for the vinyl to stick.

This was my first time to sponsor a girls softball team and they won the championship! Four of my team made the All-Stars!!

how about a silkscreen type template for some screening ink?

i just stick normal (651 or equiv) vinyl on a screen and it works great, even washable and reusable.... might be tough for any fine lines and stuff though.

good luck

MM64 B)

Tested that, won't be an issue. I was slightly amazed at how little real estate exists on a ball. Dang manufacturers have writing all over them. :(

Well if you don't have an airbrush it'll work just fine... Krylon would be my choice.

Gerber Mask is what I'd use has a non-permanent adhesive so it should not harm the surface at all. Or frisket paper.

I'd love to knock the dust off the old airbrush. This would be a great excuse. I'm 50/50 on that vs krylon. Good ideas, thanks!!