I'm a few days in with my LP 24 and I'm eager to hit the ground running, however even the most simple of my designs are coming out wrong.

The cutter depth is perfect, I couldn't ask anything more of it, it's great.

The lines it cuts aren't lines, they are a very fine series of dashes, which I'm fine with as long as its clean, but its not.

When I try to weed, the cut doesn't seem to go through the same spot every time, I adjusted the vector to see if it was just that plot point, no joy

hole.png

This error does not repeat itself at the same plot location each time (inconsistent)

Straight lines are wavy and the depth is not consistent in the cut

off.png

On smaller text it drags against the work and lifts some of the material

lettering.png

There is a major issue with tight corners as well

edges.png

I cut these images correctly each and every time with my MH721 using the same Signblazer software, the same .SBD, the same computer.

This is a new blade (the one that came with the machine)

I'm convinced its user error, it has to be... any suggestions/tips would be very much appreciated.

How about a picture of some backing paper after the vinyl has had a decal cut & the complete decal removed ? ( There should be just a small consistant crease in it " IF " the blade is adjusted right . ) take a picture of the backing paper behind the bad cut in your 1rst picture .

Pressure should be close to 100 grams . What pressure are you using ?

Take the blade holder by hand & cut some scrap vinyl to see if it cuts smooth or tears like the pictures shows .

Any damage to the plastic cutting strip ? any foreign material inside the blade holder ?

I have never had this type of problem , but think it is a blade depth , pressure or cutting strip issue . Static problem ?

What speed are you cutting with? Make sure the blade can turn freely in the holder and check for dirt/debris. Try it with the pen holder and paper and show us the results... Don't assume the blade depth is correct or that the blade is good. Check!

These pic's look like a file that's been vectorized and cut without been cleaned up.

I know someone who done this... Client sent a file and he just cut it without checking it... Looked just like this.

Sorry for the delay, I'm working extra hours for the holiday.

The requested pics of the peeled back vinyl...

drag1.png

As you can see the silicone backing is creased but not broken to the fiber portion of the paper.

drag2.png

I've decided to eliminate the possibility of it being a software issue, or even a PC setting by using the built in test mode function.

Handy feature btw :)

I tested the head by itself by hand, good attention to detail, the blade is not spinning in the cradle.

So although this is a factory new plotter, it appears to need a new blade cradle.

I was hoping to test it with my very proven cradle from my 721 but I think the shaft is 2-3 MM off and I don't want to force it into the holder.

Next for the pen request.

Luckily I have some really nice Oracal 651 Matt White

I learned during test cuts for speed and pressure you can actually adjust them mid test, you just have to know where to hit "mode"

Since pressure isn't an issue in a pen test (past ensuring proper ball contact), I put the pressure to 135 and left that as a constant.

pen1.png

I've circled a few focus points

I'm not a very good photographer, these are with my cell phone and my attempt to adjust lighting with a florescent lamp.

Starting with the off shapes.

pen2.png

pen4.png

The jump lines

pen3.png

pen8.png

The wavy straight lines

pen6.png

Which are really defined in letters

pen9.png

I thought maybe it would be good to eliminate using the pen stylus on vinyl in the chance there would be a drag issue.

I switched the media to Bristol Board.

Same pressure and speed settings, same stand alone built in test mode design

pen10.png

I ran the test more than once, 8 times in total, each time the scaling was kept to the factory setting as to keep a clean control.

pen12.png

The line breaks from the @10 setting were no longer a constant however that was the only change and I believe that to be media related not an improvement of device performance.

pen11.png

Signs, all the vectors I use are created by me with the application of vinyl in mind from the start.

That sign for the Toronto Underground was a commission that I created based off of their logo and cut without issue on my 721.

To test another vector, one with a bit more detail... using the pen stylus on Bristol Board I plotted the Dragon logo I made for Wengs Kitchen.

dragon.png

While I have no illusion that the original drawing of the dragon was not by anyone at that restaurant, I drew mine in pencil from a menu first for Mr. Weng, then spent over a week creating the vector with deliberate weeding cuts in mind.

Again this is a proven vector, and complicated in design, which is the reason I chose it to stylus plot, not to showboat how I can recreate internet overused art. :)

dragon1.png

I tested more than one for consistency, and I'm both sad and glad I did

dragon3.png

While in the first run (with easyweed on) I saw significant dragging (PUN!)

dragon2.png

That was not the case in the second attempt

What I did see what unintended cuts

dragon4.png

dragon5.png

dragon6.png

dragon7.png

every time I think I have my head wrapped around it, something doesnt quite add up and I feel like I'm back to square 1 :(

That's really weird !

Is your machine new ?

Just a thought... If you took the side cover off on the left hand side, there is a belt there that drives the roller.

Is it possible it is loose and needs tightening and is slipping causing the problem... Think l have heard this somewhere before.

Worth a look l suppose.

Assuning you bought the cutter fron USCutter , I would call them tomorrow . They are on Pacific time . It must be something wrong with the cutter .

Brand new cutter, not even a week old.

I’ve pretty much have spent every spare minute I’ve had trying to get it to work.

Because this is new hardware I’m not going to take it apart to make any corrections despite being more than comfortable/qualified to do so :)

I just had to make sure to exhaust all logical possibilities before calling US Cutter today.

Brand new cutter, not even a week old.

I’ve pretty much have spent every spare minute I’ve had trying to get it to work.

Because this is new hardware I’m not going to take it apart to make any corrections despite being more than comfortable/qualified to do so :)

I just had to make sure to exhaust all logical possibilities before calling US Cutter today.

Are you operating this unit with a usb cable, or using a usb to serial cable adapter (keyspan)?

I've been using USB and Signblazer, I have about 2 years in with this setup on my other plotter.

The "Test Mode" images you see are from the LP's built in testing system, this is with only the LP plugged in, and the USB disconnected (as it provides a small % of power).

Also the electrical that is connected is a clean source, new romex, dedicated connection/breaker, only one outlet that powers the plotter and PC, to eliminate the possibility of fade I also ran the PC from a clean outlet separate.

The shop I built for my vinyl business is 50 feet from the main electrical feed as well.

I took layout, planning, and preparation of the space very seriously. ;)

If this was not having the same issue with the built in Test Mode, I would even go so far as to wonder if not necessarily ground, but Phase could be the issue? I would be sure if you have seperate dedicated outlets for each- that they are at least on the same phase....

I have split power feeds for the shop and for the house.

To be sure I moved the unit into my home office and tried it there, the result is the same.

I tried calling support when they opened, after being on hold for 19 min... the automated system terminated the call

It is 10:30 on the east coast , so it is 7:30 on the west coast where USCutter is . I don't know the hours they keep , but keep the time zone issue in mind . I would call every phone # listed for them as there has been phone system problems . I am sure the beginning of every week is a busy time for them .. especially after a long weekend :)