forsalevinylsigns

Dog cant walk...

Hello everyone, I have a 5 year old dachsund, black labrador, and german sheppered mix. Two big dogs and the small Dachsund. I heard my Dachsund cry the other night and I looked outside and she was sleeping I thought she was having some type of dream(nothing out of the ordinary)The next day, I find her dragging her feet. It seems like she has broken something or something bit her and infected her? She does/used to get into fights with the bigger dogs and Im guessing one of them fell on top of her or? Anyone have any suggestions on how I can help her get walking again?

Please click here 4 video

Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqVz...el_video_title

Take the poor thing to the vet.... Almost looks as if she/he has broken the farthest portion of his or her back actually and is paralyzed as there doesn't appear to be any pain. Poor pup!

Poor Pup!

You should take your dog to a veterinarian What is wrong can be determined by his breed. Usually the shorter- lower to the ground breeds "dachshunds" are the ones that will have problems with slipped disks.

You said you hear the dog cry out? This could have been the dog having a stroke, which in turn could mess with his movement as well.

My dogs feet were dragging to the point where she couldn't walk. Which turned out to be arthritis, and she was put on rimadyl.

Your veterinarian will test your dogs reflexes and see how much of a signal the brain is sending to the back legs. You can do some tests - squeeze his back legs and each toe pad individually to see how quickly he responds.

It should be very quick. If that doesn't happen, and the reflex is slow maybe there are some medicines that can help.

For right now keep your dog comfortable, keep away from stairs, carry him up and down stairs as he doesn't have much strength. If he gets worse and cant walk - a heating pad on low underneath a blanket for a short time can help until medication takes effect.

Do get your dog to the veterinarian so they can treat him/her appropriately.

Hope this helps!

Take it to the vet at once. it could be in terrible pain and delaying could hamper its recovery

my uncle had a dog like that...it developed some kind of condition that rendered it's back legs useless...The vet ordered a doggie wheelchair....you strap it to the dog's backside. His dog could go anywhere with it. Didn't slow it down a bit. But as has been said..TAKE IT TO THE VET. It could be suffering.

Can it still take a pee or a poop?

I know that breed of dog commonly has this issue..My ex girlfriend had one and it did the same thing as yours..She took it to the vet immidiatly and was told that either it could get better or not.If not the doggie wheel chair could be used.She soaked him in our hot tub and babied him for months..Carried him everywhere..to the bathroom and all..After several month he started getting better..

hope it gets better..

stetson5331

thanks for the replys everyone! I took it to the Vet, we got some Xrays and its a disk. The vet said exactly what stet said, its a problem with the breed since the way theyre built. He have her a steriod shot and some pills that we give her everyday for a month and we'll see what happends. Another option he gave us is surgery. The surgery costs about 500 bucks as compared to 4k bucks here in the US(I took her to a vet in Mexico) She does stand a little If I manually stand her up and she can stay like that for almost a minute while she drinks water. I really hope she gets better, she was really happy dog. I think this just happened from all the years of jumping because these dogs have a tendency to jump on top of everything they see. It can still pee and poop,but she does it without noticing shes doing it. Im gonna build her a wheelchair, poor dog has been dragging her little feet all over the place....

Man that's pitiful, poor dog, I hate those breeds have to go through that stuff.

Hope the meds help!!!!

Maybe the wheelchair will help it get around better.