Kelekat

Why, oh why....

Frustration abounds here....

Trying to cut small (by small I mean 1/4" - 3/8" inch serifed letters out of premium vinyl. The cutter works okay on the straight line, but every curve has what I call "midges"--a teeny tiny piece of uncut vinyl. In addition, the blade pokes through the vinyl backer at some of these points. I have adjusted the cutting depth, the speed, I've pulled the blade out and manually adjusted it in the blade holder and still cannot get this to stop. If I adjust the depth down too much, I just get larger midges.

My last cutter was a Summa and I don't recall ever having this problem. I'm at my wits end and open to suggestions! Thanks.

Frustration abounds here....

Trying to cut small (by small I mean 1/4" - 3/8" inch serifed letters out of premium vinyl. The cutter works okay on the straight line, but every curve has what I call "midges"--a teeny tiny piece of uncut vinyl. In addition, the blade pokes through the vinyl backer at some of these points. I have adjusted the cutting depth, the speed, I've pulled the blade out and manually adjusted it in the blade holder and still cannot get this to stop. If I adjust the depth down too much, I just get larger midges.

My last cutter was a Summa and I don't recall ever having this problem. I'm at my wits end and open to suggestions! Thanks.

What cutter are you useing?

What blade are you useing the 45 or 60 degree blade?

Sounds like the offset setting needs to be adjusted . Make sure nothing loosened up or cracked on the cutter . use less & less blade & more pressure . When you are making marks on the vinyl & polishing the blade holder , you have it about right . If you adjust the pressure to the blade ( being exposed too much ) , you will always have erratic problems form IMO .

I'm using the USCutter Laserpoint with a 45 degree blade.

That would have been helpful to post.... :D

blade angle does not matter IMO . a dull blade would matter . 1/4" is SMALL ..... adjustments would have to be right on . I dont know if that cutter is good for that small a decal , but i know some fonts are many more times harder to cut correctly at that size. Try some standard fonts & perfect the adjustments , then try whatever font you are cutting again .

I'm using the USCutter Laserpoint with a 45 degree blade.

That would have been helpful to post.... :D

I'm having somewhat the same problem on mine

they said to use the alien wrench that comes with

the machine and tighten up the pulleys

that the rollers run off of.. i have not tightened them up on mine

yet so i can't explain how to.. i was call haward at USC and have him

explain to you

blade angle does not matter IMO . a dull blade would matter . 1/4" is SMALL ..... adjustments would have to be right on . I dont know if that cutter is good for that small a decal , but i know some fonts are many more times harder to cut correctly at that size. Try some standard fonts & perfect the adjustments , then try whatever font you are cutting again .

i would agree with that .. try a basic Ariel font

Going from a Summa to a LP is a huge differance. Things that the summa would fly thru you are going to beat your head on the wall with tha laserpoint. Dont expect the same result.

Kinda like going from a Mercedes S-Class to a Geo.

Gotta be dead on for your blade height and pressure to not get the punch thru and be sure your cut strip is in flawless condition. If not you will get these problems all the time.

Blade angle does matter via speed of cut, pressure and drop force which is not adjustable on the LP. Its also going to change your offset for the blade. Smaller text is going to magnify these problems quite proportonally.

Going to have to do lots of trial and error to get a good all around blade setting for your specific machine.

I had a nice, long, detailed message all typed out and almost at the end of it, my computer crashed big time... Now back with the back-up computer...

I have a PCUT which is the same as an LP, minus the "L" (no laser). I haven't cut any text smaller than 24 point, but have cut some very small and detailed graphics. In trying to do so, this is what I've learned...

The most important things are blade height and offset. Then pressure and speed. You didn't mention your settings which might help some.

This is how I finally determined my optimum blade height:

I set my offset at the recommended .025mm in signblaser and it's very, very close to perfect. Close enough that I don't want to mess with it yet. I use both a 45 and 60 degree blade.

Did you mention what software you're using to cut? Didn't see it. Might help too.

The pressure and speed go along with what type of vinyl you're cutting. I set my speed down around 30 as I remember (and some of us know what kind of memory I have) and just left it there. I'm rarely in a rush.

Pressure? Hmmm, it's somewhere around 105 or so. I know I changed it recently but don't remember the exact number. Close enough though.

A big clue is that you e blade makes holes in the backing. It should never do that! You blade is out too far!

Reset your blade height, check your pressure and make sure your offset is around .025. I have cut circles & graphics as small as 1 mm on my PCUT and the worst that happens is they pop off the backing...

I think that's all I had to say the first time? I'll know if and when I can find my post-it note... :blink: