Well, its getting to be a busier time of the year (I know my end is picking up some, I hope yours is too!) and I've been getting a fews commercial inquiries. However, with the economy being so poor, my bids have been getting crushed! I don't know if it's Craigslist or other businesses quoting way low, but I've have the cut my prices by almost 25%. I price graphics larger than 10" by the linear foot (15" and a 24" price) and for 15" of Oracal 651 used to get me about $6.75/ft. Now, $5.75, and specialty vinyl has taken even more of a hit for me.

My question here is what everyone has been doing with their pricing since the economy has gone down?

Also, I'm a part time business owner working to make this full time, but I had a bid on a Box Truck, 2 Pickups, 25 Yard Signs, and 2,000 business cards (4 color design) that i had quoted for $2,200. I lowered to almost $1,400 and got out bid by someone doing it for $987. How can you compete with that!

That kind of Competition sucks!!

The problem you run into is the people that think of the $987 dollars as big money..They do it with the idea of big money...I look at them and go YOU GO AHEAD.It used to bother me whenit happened, but you learn IT'S not all about money.Let them spend a day or 2 or 3 days for $987 bucks..I will keep plugging along with my jobs and when your out of business I will still be here...

The people that do jobs for free will eventually stop doing them or start charging for them..The only trick is to stay longer than those guys if you can...

Kill em ( the customer) with great service and a great price..Which sometimes means taking one for the team..JUST hope you don't have to take those kinda prices often..

Also find a niche that sets you aside from your competition..Originality is the best niche to be in, great service and pricing AND original makes you UNIQUE...Not everyone can be...

The name of the game is good service. Do a good job and follow up with a phone call to show the customer that they are not just $$$ signs for you but customers that you care about. Good work and careing spreads the good word about you out there.

Times like this separates the guy who doesn't know how to charge for his work from the ones who have a family to support and takes his business seriously.

I used to get frustrated with losing quotes to low ballers but now adays i don't care as much because sometimes they end up coming back to you because the other guy bails. Alot of the times they are just tire kickers with no money anyway. I get alot of them for some reason, people who have no money and no intention of buying but want a quote like they are serious. I don't understand people sometimes.

I just had a in memory of order come back to me because another guy said whatever i told them he would cut in half. Well, they sent the guy the money and once he got into the job decided he couldn't do it. I just finished it up and collected the payment two days ago :)

We have had to lower are prices as well. Most customers are very low on funds and they do not have a budget set aside for these needed services. Hopefully the economy will turn around shortly. On a promising note, maybe this will weed out some of the lesser business' and alleviate some competition! This is very common to other shops I talk to as well.

http://www.source4signs.com/soi.aspx

On the contrary......As the economy gets worse, prices will get even lower and more folks will get into this business...Sorry to say with no jobs, many folks will find the 10.00 or 15.00 they can make for making a few decals will seem attractive versus the alternatives....

I agree with what Stet says , but what Roxy says is reality . You take sombody who got laid off from an hourly wage & working at a sign shop ... It is big money . The problem is the sign business is very cheap to start up & is so flooded right now , that even if nobody bought a few hundred dolar cutter again , the market will stay flooded . Vinyl printers are not rare anymore & printed vinyl is available VERY cheap . That market is becoming more flooded as they get more affordable to buy . As the prices for ALL the equipment gets cheaper ,the prices will get cheaper . The economy tanking only multiplys that effect much more . Especially if equipment is not paid for or having to pay for a store front location . Whatever it takes to survive is what everybody does . To get cash , some sell for less than cost to pay the bills & try to recover before the bills come due again .

A buddy bought a vinyl cutter 30 + years ago . New & " trick " he got huge prices ( altough he paid $7,000 for his set-up compared to being able to buy the same set-up for $2,000 now buying it from that supplier ... buying it from USCutter , the same quality cutter can be bought for $750 :thumbsup: ) . I get tired of him belly aching complaining & not seing reality . Look what Home Depot did to Hechimngers many years ago & decide what company you want to copy .