Sign in to follow this  
Dr12volt1338

Deleting background lines so I can cut

I am having some trouble with this. I am trying to eliminate the lines and cuts or part of the graphic that is "behind" the softball on here... When I open the file in Adobe Illustrator it is exactly how I want it to look when I cut it but when I cut it all the lines from behind the ball also cut. When I try to delete the nodes in Inkscape it is altering the whole bat. What I am trying to get is for it to cut just how it looks. I am not asking anyone to do this for me but maybe some quick steps in the right direction. Maybe node editing isn't the way I want to go. I appreciate any help at all Thank You!

softball flames.eps

Sorry I didn't click the upload button the first time. I got the lines in the back ground to stop cutting by tracing it like 1 of the videos showed. I did have to uninstall and reinstall my inkscape because it would not trace before for some reason. As I read more and more I think I am getting where I want to be. I need to make the outline of the ball thicker and make the inside of the bat handles solid or change them so I can weed them properly. I am getting there and as I said the biggest part of my problem was inkscape was not cooperating and I had to reinstall it now it seems most of the functions are working. As on a seperate note I also have corelTrace is that a better program then Inkscape or what are the pros and cons of either one? I have alot of experience with cutting vinyl lettering but this world of graphics and vectorizing is all pretty new to me.

I usually take a file like that and rasterize it as large as I can.....In this case at 900 dpi......Then auto trace it to turn it back into vector....Then you have a file with out all the overlapping lines....I work in Illustrator but most programs should have a similar workflow.....

If your raster image is selected, you should have Live Trace button on tool bar....The little arrow to right is a selection of options...At bottom is Tracing Options....Select Black and White as mode and check off Ignore white.....Then trace and see what you get.....You might have to back up and try it a few times with different settings....