onelowtoy

Eps files

Does anyone have a problem with some eps files not opening in SB?

they have to be older files like version 8.eps, Signblazer has not been updated, as owner passed away a few years ago. Try version 8 and see if that works out for you.

• Like 1

What do you mean version 8? Didn't know there are different ones. Where would I find that at?

What do you mean version 8? Didn't know there are different ones. Where would I find that at?

yes, they are older files of Illustrator, newer files can be saved as older files, so they can be opened in older software. Another example, I cannot open Illustrator CS5 files in my CS2 Illustrator, the file would would have to be saved to at least a CS2 or older for me to open it.

screen print of my Adobe CS2 saving as a version 8.

post-3058-0-06984200-1300668987_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So if I don't have Illustrator I can't convert them? I have to get someone to do for me.

So if I don't have Illustrator I can't convert them? I have to get someone to do for me.

That is correct. I have no way of converting newer CS5 files to CS2 or older, unless I purchase newer software, or get someone to do it for me.

• Like 1

I just had this problem the other night. I tried various different utilities to convert a version 14 eps file to something I could use. Nothing worked until I tried viewing it with ghostview through ghostscript. First failure was finding out that it will save in the same version/format as it opened... Then I tried saving it as a PDF file. THAT file opened in Corel with no problems. I was able to isolate the indivual vectors and then save what I wanted back out as a compatible CDR file and export it as an EPS file. If you don't mind going through the work to install ghostscript and ghostview, it will help with such problems.

Yup, and you can use Irvanview to view .eps files as well.

http://www.irfanview.com/

After installing Irvanview, install this http://www.software....-plugins-9374-1

Then install AFPL Ghostscript as well, not GPL version http://sourceforge.n...ostscript/8.54/

You can also use Ghostview :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Just curious why you prefer the AFPL version as it's 6 years old now? I just downloaded the new update for 9.01. Does AFPL have something I don't?

Just curious why you prefer the AFPL version as it's 6 years old now? I just downloaded the new update for 9.01. Does AFPL have something I don't?

Oppps, sorry Bearly, the AFPL is the one that is compatible with Irvanview. They are having issues with the new version with Irvanview. Unless they have fixed this issue, I'm stuck with the old version dry.gif

See here, http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/archive/index.php/t-461.html

If you find out any news let me know Bearly.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Interesting... Well, I have limited short term memory... I do remember looking into some odd problem while installing ghostscript and some associated programs and checking the registry. I also remember something about adding the GS dll to the system path. I definitely remember checking that path just the other day and the GS dll in not there so I must have not needed it. I don't remember modifying my registry for IrfanView, but it is possible.

Now down towards the end of that thread, there are some mentioning of it all working so I just opened it and viewed many eps and pdf files. So at least it's working here with IrfanView 4.28 and GS ver 9.0 on XP SP3. If it needed help, I must have done it and just don't remember. Too much going on lately and my head's all screwed up with drugs trying to fight a nasty infection...

Although, as mentioned in that thread, I did install GS technically into a non-default directory by using my D drive instead of C. Maybe that forces some needed registry entry?

Yeah, I had to mod my registry somewhat before service pack 3 came along.

The problem was the direction of the AFPL. When GPL came out, the old path was still existing and pointed to that path.

It seems your correct on the GPL working with Irvanview now.

I'm glad this post was made, or I wouldn't have realized they had finally fixed the issues.

I've been working way to much and hadn't had the time to check on the development of my play toys. heheehh

Looks as if they have FINALLY been able to fix these issues!!!

But for one, if that were my forum, I would flip the new information on top! gessshhh

Hey, make a new post on this Bearly, and maybe one of the mods will sticky it!!!!!

People would love a great way to view .eps files.... and they can view all of them at one time! Would save them allot of trouble.

Hey, thanks for the heads up Bearly! :thumbsup:

I do beleive most people use Bridge to view mass amounts of eps files that are bulked in folders.

Would be nice to view them all in windows folders but i really dont want 85561562321631 processes running to allow this to happen and 387 freeware programs running in the background all dependant on each other per a certain rev lvl.

But thats me.

I do believe most people use Bridge to view mass amounts of eps files that are bulked in folders.

Would be nice to view them all in windows folders but i really don't want 85561562321631 processes running to allow this to happen and 387 freeware programs running in the background all dependant on each other per a certain rev lvl.

But thats me.

Hey SA, while no, Irvanview isn't for everyone.... all I have to do is click on the thumbnail button and it's like looking in an explorer window.

But if you have Bridge, you could care less about it lol

I really see your point though! :thumbsup:

What really gets bad is camera raw files and converters for them.

Every manufacturer has different codex for their raw files and it varies for model of camera on top of that too. When I used to do strictly photography and printing that was a major pain in the rear.

Write up for a sticky? Maybe in a week or so when my head clears up... It would be a good sticky though. The combo of ghostscript, ghostview and irfanview (thumbnails) is great. I posted in another thread where I tried everything to import an eps file that was apparently too new for any of my software and nothing else would convert it. I finally found that ghostview would save it as a pdf file that I could then import into corel x3. Seems there's always a way ;)

And Bridge? I haven't seen that mentioned for windows AND it's part of a hugely expensive suite from Adobe as far as I know. I'm down to one adobe product here and would not look forward to trying any other... They come in second after windows itself for bloat and bugs as far as I'm concerned. (just my opinion now).

Yeah, I had to mod my registry somewhat before service pack 3 came along.

The problem was the direction of the AFPL. When GPL came out, the old path was still existing and pointed to that path.

It seems your correct on the GPL working with Irvanview now.

I'm glad this post was made, or I wouldn't have realized they had finally fixed the issues.

I've been working way to much and hadn't had the time to check on the development of my play toys. heheehh

Looks as if they have FINALLY been able to fix these issues!!!

But for one, if that were my forum, I would flip the new information on top! gessshhh

Hey, make a new post on this Bearly, and maybe one of the mods will sticky it!!!!!

People would love a great way to view .eps files.... and they can view all of them at one time! Would save them allot of trouble.

Hey, thanks for the heads up Bearly! :thumbsup:

the possibilty of copyrighted stuff being included would stop that from happening most likely . Having members posting & an occaisional CP file would not be as much as an issue as if USC organized the files .... if I follwed the conversation correctly :)

I don't know where you got anything about copyrighted material or even sharing clipart? We're talking about the use of a program to view thumbnails of the eps files on your hard drive and then I mentioned how to convert the newer format eps files into an older format for people like me who can't afford constantly updating the software. No copyright infringement or piracy included or inferred...

I'm not sure either ... that is why I added " if I followed the conversation correctly " at the end of my post . When posting , I thought what I read was suggesting USC to organize all the clip art posted on here & use what you guys were talking about to look at them easier . Reading it now , I see that the software info or updates might have been what was meant ... Hmmm :) . There is some copyright stuff posted in this forum even thought USC has asked it not to be & all I was saying was if USC organized it , they might be more liable if anything blew up about any copyrighted stuff included . That is why I said that would stop USC from most likely doing that .

Ash did install software on my computer ( remotely ) , so I could look at all my EPS files at once & it works GREAT !!! I am going to do a monthly service thing with him , so he will remote in my computer & keep things going well . Another thing that makes it nice , is working out the time is so easy with ASH . $ VERY well spent IMO .

• Like 1

Wow, you let Ash into your computer? :blink:

I don't know him, but from what I've read, he seems to know what he's doing. If I had the time, money(?) and was willing to let someone into my computer, I'd have a good one for him ;D But I live with it and it's getting on in age anyways...

As a note to the software we were discussing. I just now found out how I got Irfanview to work with ghostscript. Seems when I updated my ghostscript to 9.01 yesterday, I clicked the wrong file and just reinstalled 9.00. Today I finally installed the update and found Irfanview wouldn't do eps or pdf files. Checked ghostscript and that was working fine. Turns out there's setting in Irfanview under "Options" -> "Properties/Settings" -> "plugins" -> "postscript options". Once here, I manually entered the path to my ghostscript as "D:\Program Files\gs\gs9.01\bin\gsdll32.dll" and all works again. I don't know if the "Retrieve GS location from System Registry" works, but that might be why I entered it manually... And this has to be done from Irfanview itself, not "Irfanview Thumbnails".

Now that I remembered, I thought I'd let everyone know how I got this all working.

• Like 1

You can see & watch everything he is doing . ASH is much cheaper than any other way to get your computer fixed & up to speed . My pointer would crawl around like a bug all by itself . also , You have to give a new password everytime before a remote session can be started . I have learned a good bit just by watching him .

edit; I have a cheap e-machine & thought I needed to update it because it is OLD , but ASH said there was no reason to do that .

• Like 1

Geshhh, what do I say here... Thanks guy's for your very kind words. Bearly if you have one and can't pay me let me know at tech@ashcomputershop.com.... I'll see what I can do for you!

Yes, I use remote access, and yes the password changes everytime. It's better for my customers because I do not want them to think in any way I'm logging in without their permission.

Anyhow. Thanks again guy's, those where some very nice and kind words from you.

(Man is that rare these days or what?) heehheeh

Chuck

• Like 1

I've done remote access a few times, even back in the old days when you had to purchase special software to do it and call through on a phone line :lol: But since I was supposed to be the one "in control" and doing the work, I downplayed it as much as possible and got my company to give up on it. So far I haven't really needed it with any customers so I'm lucky.

My computer? It's only real problem is that you can't mess with a modem driver. can't uninstall and definitely can't install a new one. Brings XP to it's knees and I have to recover. Never had a computer with such an odd problem. I just never had the time to really dig into it since everything else works. I just have to remember to 'Cancel' when XP wants to install drivers for my phone 'modem' or I'm in for a half hours work...

Thanks for the offer... And to be 100% honest, I can't really afford help of any kind at the moment. Times are bad... Ah-well....