Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

Will this work?

I have a customer that wants some vinyl lettering on the inside of his store front window.

I understand all I need to do is click on the "mirror" option before cutting, but I'm a little concerned that the vinyl will not appear to be white since the sticky side will be facing outside. Currently, all I have is Oracal 651... will this work, or is there a different kind of viny lI need?

Thanks for an help!

This should work just fine -- if you look at the back side of your vinyl it is the same color!

Have fun and good luck with the window -- remember to take some pictures and post them for all to see!!! :woohoo:

Yes... it's the same color prior to putting the vinyl on a piece of glass... but once it's on the glass, it takes on a slightly grey tint. I tried all the other colors(black, blue, red, orange, and yellow) and they all looked the same  :bang:

They want the vinyl on the inside so someone can't remove the lettering in the middle of the night...

No... the window is not tinted.

as I said,try translucent vinyl. SInce it is made for light to pass through, it looks pretty much the same both sides once applied. I didn't have any white here but did try some red and it looks fine both sides.

It is quite normal to put vinyl on the inside of windows.

Why?

All the vinyl i have seen put on the outside of windows looks shocking after a few window cleans and kids picking letters off to make other words (some quite clever)

However there are some things that have to be done for this to successful.

TIP 1

White on glass can be seen better than any other color.

TIP 2.

The Palest gray vinyl you can buy is equally successful.

TIP 3.

If a customer wants green or blue or black or any other color other than white then if you put a white vinyl outline around the work then it is just as readable as if the whole sign was done in white.

TIP 4.

You must clean the window so that there is not one bit of dirt, dust or any other foreign material on the glass.

It literally has to look as if it has just come out of the factory.

TIP 5. 

Most here in Australia apply vinyl to windows with lubricant.  This makes the glue adhere completely.

The secret is make sure that the glue has adhered 100%.  Then the color will be the same both inside and outside.

Provided the glass is clear of course.

TIP 6

Lastly for the best results on glass use cast vinyl.

Trust this helps

Jerry from SignBlazer.