Sign in to follow this  
oneeyedjack

Could use a little help on pricing first wall art order.

Hey Guys

I am not quite ready to be open for business but got an order for some wall decals for a business in town. 3 decals approx. 20" x 5' oracal 631. We designed it for them, pretty basic design. 2 are the same  design. Not really sure on pricing yet, working on it. Could use some help with pricing and should i charge an install fee. Appreciate any info especially from you Canadians as most pricing i look at is U.S.

Thanks

This is what I charge for my emovable decals and have done very well however.....every area is different.

FOR PRE-MADE DESIGNS (.55 per sq. inch)

(Designs located on our website)

1. We take the size of the decal and add (+) the width and the length together. (For example 12" x 24" = 36")

2. We then multiply (x)  that number by .55 (For example 36" x .55 = $19.80) We charge .55 cents per sq. inch.

3. Additional Colors Added to pre-made designs (.25 per inch) (For example $19.80 multiply (x) by .25 = $4.95) We would charge you $24.75 for your 2-color  wall expression decal.

FOR CUSTOM DESIGNS (.70 per sq. inch)

1. We take the size of the decal and add (+)  the width and the length together. (For example 12" x 24" = 36")

2. We then multiply that number by .70 (because of design time) (For example 36" x .70 = $25.20 ) We charge .70 cents per sq. inch because of the time it takes to design your custom order.

3. Additional Colors Added (.25 per sq. inch) (For example $25.20 multiply (x) by .25 = $6.30) We would charge you $31.50 for your 2-color custom wall expression decal.

Hope this ives you an idea.

Good Luck!

Kell :huh:

Thanks for the response. I think figuring out pricing is the toughest part. We do sublimation, engraving  and photography and it is the same way. Here's my new problem. They decided on a different font, scriptina, so the way the lettering is the first couple letters are one font then the rest are scriptina which extends way lower than than the other letters because  they have a y in the design. so now the design will be something like 45" x 60". I have a 24" cutter so it will have to be segmented, which of course i have never done. Do i charge extra for cutting the second piece or is it tough luck for me because i should of bought a bigger cutter.

Thanks

1. We take the size of the decal and add (+) the width and the length together. (For example 12" x 24" = 36")

2. We then multiply (x)  that number by .55 (For example 36" x .55 = $19.80) We charge .55 cents per sq. inch.

wait wait. 

i understand the idea, but that is not a square inch.  a square inch would be multiplying the width by the height.  12" X 24" = 288".  then multiplying 288 X .55 = $158.40.  your method actually makes more sense, but i just wanted to make sure that its understood so there isn't confusion.  what you're proposing is more like by the linear inch. 

i've seen a fair number of people on here choose to charge by the square inch, which is basically the same idea, but you'd have to adjust your price per square inch... lets say  12" x 24" = 288 in^2.  288 x $.07 = $20.16. 

i don't mean to be condescending, i just wanted to clarify so when someone read it and went to do their own pricing it would make sense Also when a customer is reading your website and they see $.55 per square inch they don't flip out because they wanted a 12" x 24" decal that is going to cost them $158!  :huh:

wait wait. 

i understand the idea, but that is not a square inch.  a square inch would be multiplying the width by the height.  12" X 24" = 288".  then multiplying 288 X .55 = $158.40.  your method actually makes more sense, but i just wanted to make sure that its understood so there isn't confusion.  what you're proposing is more like by the linear inch. 

i've seen a fair number of people on here choose to charge by the square inch, which is basically the same idea, but you'd have to adjust your price per square inch... lets say   12" x 24" = 288 in^2.  288 x $.07 = $20.16. 

i don't mean to be condescending, i just wanted to clarify so when someone read it and went to do their own pricing it would make sense Also when a customer is reading your website and they see $.55 per square inch they don't flip out because they wanted a 12" x 24" decal that is going to cost them $158!   :huh:

That's the same way i see it too (12"X24"= 288 sq.in.)

1 eye's newest measurement is 45 " X 60 " ( 2700 square inches ) that has to be divided by 144 to get square footage . Kelly has a working formula , just is calling the measurement square inches which it is not .

Rodger so should i be charging for the full 45"x60" even though the main body of text is about 18" and it is just the "y" in the scriptina font going below the other text which is making it so high. Gonna have to cut 2 pieces of vinyl, not quite sure how to do that just yet. When i install it should i put a bit of an overlap where the second piece well go to finish off the "y".

I would charge by what comes off the roll, not what the graphic size is. But thats me and the way ive been doing it for years weather it is cut vinyl, printed vinyl or large format poster printing.

My prices are for material used.

I am charging the same way..It uses so many inches or feet weather the image is actually cut from all or part of the vinyl...

Example on my printed vinyl my material is either 38"s wide or 54"s wide...Both will be either  3.17ft wide or 4.5ft wide then I multiply that time how long...That gives me sq ft of material used....So if I use 3ft of my 38" material it comes out to 3.17' x 3' = 9.51 sq ft...Then I multiply that times my mark up and then you have your price for you project..I do cut vinyl the same way..It takes so many sq ft to cut a decal multiply that times your mark up and then you have your price...

Hope it helps...

stetson5331

1 Eye ,

I make it simple . I figure it costs $1 per lineal foot of 24" Oracal 651 RTA ( Ready To Apply ) . I would figure the same if using cheaper vinyl .  I don't mess around with cost , plus mark up etc , because the job is only worth as much as I can sell it for , no matter what mind game I play with myself . I charge by the # of colors & size , but mainly adjust it based on how much time it takes . Kelly's price ( on the smaller measurment ) seems to be realistic even though the math is not conventional  ;D .

I would over lap it some & use a scrap piece on the second " tile " since you say it is only the bottom of the y making it taller than 1 cut . If you can cut just that letter ( bottom part ) & apply it seperate , it might make it easier & cheaper for you .

Thanks, appreciate the help people. So how does $11-12 sq ft sound as a starting rate and give price breaks depending on quantity ordered. So for example if i used 84" of a 24" roll it would be 84x24= 2016" divided by 144=14 sq ft. 14sq ft x $12= $168. so give say a 20 % discount would be $134.40. Does that sound right. I guess the main problem  is figuring out what to set the base price per sq ft at. Most of the pricing you see on the forums is US pricing structures and materials tend to be more pricey in Canada.  Also how much to charge for a second color. The one design is 2 colors.

@ Roger...You have one of the most strait forward pricing and great advice there in...I like yours and have adopted mine to fit my area as well....SO +1  ;D

@ oneeyedjack

The thing most here will tell you is charge whats right for your area..It doesn't matter what I or they charge because we are not in your area...

So test shop your competition and see what they are charging..Then that will give you a base price..If you can live with it then go for it..If you think it's too high drop yours slightly..The trick is not to price yourself out of the game but to charge what your comfortable with and give the customer a great product along with good pricing..

Hope that helps

stetson5331