If you are reacting about the cheap price , Hechinger's had a similair reaction when Home Depot opened . I have seen cheaper prices on E-Bay . The vinyl cutting business is as competitive as any i have seen lately . Back when my buddy spent $10K on a system ( that does not compare to my Copam based system that cost less then $1K ) , not many people jumped into this business ... now anybody can get in it with $500 . 24" vinyl costs less than $1 per foot RTA , so even 2 or 3 color decals don't cost much to make . It is the old business decision.. stay busy with the " meat & potatoes " or sit & wait for the " gravy " work . Best situation is to have customers that value your service & don't shop the prices that much .

thats insane!!!! and roger please come up with something else to explain the pricing. you are correct about how it works but this is what is the matter with the united states today everybody want's to do it cheaper and now the prices are down so low that nobody can make a buck. i always tell everybody if you can find it cheaper by all means go get it. then they just come back and have me fix it.

thats insane!!!! and roger please come up with something else to explain the pricing. you are correct about how it works but this is what is the matter with the united states today everybody want's to do it cheaper and now the prices are down so low that nobody can make a buck. i always tell everybody if you can find it cheaper by all means go get it. then they just come back and have me fix it.

Thats what happens when someone low balls you, alot of the times they don't know what they are getting into (Quality or Crap)...

Don't you want to charge a YOU screwed up by going to someone else fee?

LOL

stetson5331

It is a fact of life . Technology & level of competition changes things . The economy tanking magnifies it . I have seen it countless times in the 34 years I have been self-emplyed . I have been in several different types of business . When 1 gets too competitive , I find something that isn't flooded with low ballers . I still do those jobs when I get slow & that helps pay the bills . I don't expect the prices vinyl decals were getting will ever come back . I hear the same old story from my buddy who bought a cutter set-up decades ago . The new technology recently is the printers which are getting MUCH cheaper , thus more people buying them . Look on E-Bay , I have seen some members here offer cut decals for less than I would do if the vinyl , cutter etc was given to me . I have seen other auctions even cheaper . Printed banners for $1.50 per square foot supplying the banner .... Anything that hits a home run profit wise , usually gets flooded with competition sooner or later if there is enough of that type of business to support it . That is why I am in the Mobile Home removal business ( now ) , there is not enough work for many & the costs to start up is not cheap . Even with that , some are doing it for less than I would . I know what areas to not even try to get in .

Huddling in a group , patting each other on the back , pretending the cheap prices are not available to everybody & complaining that is what is wrong with the US is not realistic IMO . The exact opposite is true , this country was based on free enterprise .That is how USCutter does so well in fact . They blew the " dinosaur" mindset competitors out of the water with their prices . Those competitors said the same thing about USCutter , they could not make a profit & do well ...........

I like the US Cutter method,least I think it's their method..Make money in volume...

I run my printing business with that in mind..I make a living on everything I do..Let the bigger printers try to continue to make a killing on evrything..They run the business right to me! So I continue to grow in a down economy with one customer at a time, growing and growing, enough to just have expanded with vinyl printing, cutting and such...Would rather have 200 customer I make a buck on than 1 I make 200 on!!

I like playing well with others, but sometimes you have to make a living and NOT...

stetson5331

+ 1 Stetson  . There is a balance & a line drawn in the sand between BIG business like McDonald's ( which is supposed to work on 01% profit margain ) & small busines owners . I think advertised prices are VERY competitive & thus the lowest priced . Doing a  car race , kart race etc an auction or any sort of event would be the opposite . Making something custom for a walk-up customer  would allow the highest percentage profit . I could make a decent profit using the price in Neron's post , but would not really want alot of that priced work unless it was 1 color . I would do 1 color all day long for that price ... < $6 worth of material to make $60 ( I make truck door signs for $50 a set , 1 color , the customer & me both are happy )

Roger I like the way you think...

I hope to do some doors and such as well once I get the equipment and figure out what the heck I am doing..I have a customer thats willing to do all installs of car wraps for me so I don't have to get that involved (just print, laminate and take the money).

I have been argued with and read others on here fussing and even cussing at others for their pricing structures...It's all about taking it all in and then seeing what works in your area..IF you can get $40.00 for a 12" decal then by all means get it..I certainly don't think that in my area that I can do that...I don't mind wishing all well and "happy times" but each person here is an individual in business that has their own way of doing things..So whats wrong with that I think it makes the world go round a lil bit easier when I know what I can do and what I can provide...

As you can tell I think outside of the box..Now it's up to me to get pricing down to a T...

stetson5331

I call that free enterprise  :D . A zillion of us can't buy cutters for cheap & not effect the pricing structure . Supply & demand is another thought that comes to mind ...  Ex: every time there is a blizzard around Maryland , everybody & ALL their cousins go into the snow removal business & cut throat to the extreme . They would plow for free at 1rst ( same thing for buying our 1rst cutter :D )After a couple years of just a few inches of snow , I make some killer deals buying snowplowing stuff . Next Blizzard it repeats . I can't remember how many times that cycle has happened . I don't contract lots , driveways anymore . I wait until the blizzards & charge accordingly .

Pricing is 1 of the most stagnant , opinionated issues here .. I try to resist responding , but when it is slow as this weedend ( there was 4 hours yesterday when there were no posts at all :D ) , I fail . Dry vs wet appllication used to be another flamable subject as was which vinyl was best . Which software is best is another . It is good to be able to discuss things without getting pissy & defensive ( thumbs up icon )

I totally agree..I have notice a pattern from some regular posters here..They fuss and cuss about anything and everything without concern for free enterprise and competition..

Everyone should take it as with most on here, 99.9% of you all are not in my area and those that are I am probably working with already...I believe in helping and keeping my stuff local when I can..Thats the only way we can survive in a down economy... When questions are posed and conversations are struck, what good does it do to be negative and cuss and fuss about what that persons doing? Give an oppinion be it good or bad, don't take it personal because someone charges this or sells that...I ask again "Happy Time"...LOL

I AM NOT singling out anyone..

stetson5331

great advice ( insert mising from the line-up ... Thumb's up icon ) .

I keep trying to keep my right side congenial  :D

It was not my intention to start any big fuss .

Just want to show how prices for our services go lower and lower every day in MY AREA.

I have a lots of posts on this forum but I've never asked for pricing advice,which means Im adjusting my pricing accordingly to My needs and market were my customer base is.

And it seems it works good for me,because it allowed me to work with nice equipment with zero debt, and nice customer base to keep me bussy without giving my services for next to nothing.

Signage is very important for every busines , so when I make sign for customer it has a bit more value than few yards of vinyl and few hours of work.

When painter make a portrait  of you

He does not use logic $150 in material if I charge $300 I still make nice profit.

I'm not saying I should charge so I can retire of one job but.....

This is what I do for living,and I think I'm doing it good.

Wish you all the best .

D.

My self I do not advertise at all and all my work is referals and repeat business. I set a price where I make a good profit not by what others charge but by what i need to stay profitable. If anyone thinks the price is too high I welcome them to shop elsewhere but caution them to check with prior clients before making up thier mind usaly they return for me to do thier work. I refuse to get into a bidding war with someone competing against me. I always do quality work what ever trade that I am doing and I want compensated nicely for my commiment.

Dan

Just want to show how prices for our services go lower and lower every day in MY AREA.

I have a lots of posts on this forum but I've never asked for pricing advice,which means Im adjusting my pricing accordingly to My needs and market were my customer base is.

And it seems it works good for me,because it allowed me to work with nice equipment with zero debt, and nice customer base to keep me bussy without giving my services for next to nothing.

Signage is very important for every busines , so when I make sign for customer it has a bit more value than few yards of vinyl and few hours of work.

He does not use logic $150 in material if I charge $300 I still make nice profit.

Wish you all the best .

D.

thumbs up...WHERES THE LIKE BUTTON LOL

Wish you all the best .

D.

thumbs up...WHERES THE LIKE BUTTON LOL

I agree 100% & have the same business practices that Dan does ... 100% so . Neron , I don't think you started any fuss at all . I consider posting what you did & discussing things like this relevant . No drama needs to be included in intelligent discussions . People should be able to disagree without being disagreeable  :D . It seems nobody is disagreeing though . Things change & those who how to survive & do what that takes ... will .

Wish you all the best .

D.

I think what your doings a great thing..I value yours and others on heres advice!

There are some others on here when they post on most any thread are negative about others...

IE: pricing, business, customers, profit, the sky is blue and all...I am emphatic about doing the job correctly and the best I can.I give quality product and quality service ALL the time if it's not right I fix it.....I do like the fact of a great profit marjine in this field..Didn't know that till this forum woke me up to it...Not everyone low balling gives great quality on the low ball price..Most can't deliver and then your left fixing the problems they create...I don't like to be low balled on price and I am sure no one here does either.. I TOTALLY agree with you..

stetson5331

great advice ( insert mising from the line-up ... Thumb's up icon ) .

I keep trying to keep my right side congenial  :D

(good luck with that!  :D)

Capitalism is a double edge sward my friends!

Buddy of mine once earned $110k a year designing oil pipelines, now that he's unemployed and looking for a job (over a year now) the same position pays $15-$20 an hour and requires a BA.

LnL,

I hear that. I remember when Networking computers paid out the nose. Sometimes I do side jobs, and contractors are only paying about $18 per hour.

Now you have to find something in the industry that's applied. Something like web design, or this industry where we use our computer skills.