lisa_t

Vinyl cutter issues.....

We have a Copam cutter that was working properly until it started cutting unevenly. We thought it was the cutting strip, so we bought and replaced the original cutting strip with a new one. After spending $20 on the cutting strip, it still cut the vinl unevenly, not even cutting through at times, sometimes cutting part of the vinyl and ripping it up, making it unuseable. Last night while my daughter was making some numbers she found that the new vinyl strip allready had grooves and ridges in it from the cutting blade cutting through. But see, sometimes it won't even cut through and it's been a hassel to cut even when it was new. Is there something we are doing wrong, or it this a simple mistake we can easily fix? Thank you very much!

Hi Lisa ,

Blade depth/exposre , blade sharpness/ broken & pressure would be the 1rst things I would check out . Also bits of vinyl inside the blade holder around the blade can cause some of the problems you list . If you can't find it in a search , me or some other member will go thru the data with you  ( alot of typing that has been covered many times ) . If it isn't 1 of those things ( 99.99 % that it is ;) ) , it is probably the cutter & you need to call USCutter & see if they can figure it out & mail parts before you ship it back for service .

• Like 1

im thinking blade depth/sharpness as well. the "rule of thumb" from what ive read here is to have the blade stick out about half the thickness of a credit card. i use that as a starting point and then adjust slightly one way or the other till im happy with the way mines cutting, but for it to go RIGHT through the viny, backing, and then the strip, tells me that yours is WAY too far out. and possibly a bit high on the pressure too.

and the "ripping up of the vinyl" is also leading me to beleive that the blade is dull, which may have happened quicker from the excess exposure, if that is what is happening. but theres also a good chance that its because the blade isint rotating, as rodger said. (checking the holder for bits of vinyl)

What is the purpose of vinyl roof?

Dont take me wrong I like the looks on some cars Ive seen, but is there q reason other than looks and perhaps paint protection from elements?

Also aprox. cost ?

THX

I am fairly sure , a vinyl roof back in the day was so the car would look like it was a convertable . Just a fashion deal which are always subject to the concieved wants of the public . I never liked them . they made the roofs rust after awhile .

• Like 1

less blade - put a drop of sewing machine, 3- in 1 oil or similar in your blade holder and like Rodger said check for bits of vinyl. also make sure your carriage has not gotten off the track some how. Jerry from sigblazer had a great rule less blade more pressure - even if the holder hits it won't hurt anything. the 1/2 credit card is too much blade - better to take the holder out and and try it by hand until you just cut thru the vinyl and not the backing, reinstall and then adjust your pressure

Hey Lisa,

Make sure your blade holder is seated all the way down in the carriage

and make sure the thumb screw is tight.

I had the same issue and found the pressure off the cutter was pushing

my blade holder up as it was cutting. It would start out cutting fine

until about three quarters of the cut it would barely cut through the vinyl.

I made sure the blade holder was seated all the way down, and that it was tight

in the carriage and now it cut's fine.

Hope this helps!