Sign in to follow this  
crash5050

Is there such a thing as bad vinyl?

I bought some vinyl from e-bay, and it looks and cuts very well.  I decided to put a sign in the back window of my pickup truck, advertising that I could indeed cut vinyl graphics and such, (I need to be able to feed the habit).  All was well, albeit a bit cold.  I took my monokote shrinking heat gun and heated up the window to a decent temperature, sprayed my concoction of soap, water and aqua velva (the only alchohol I had save the Grey Goose Vodka, and I wasn't about to waste that on a window) onto the window and applied the lettering.  I got it all measured, situated and squeegied out.  I let it set for about 3 hours before I decided to go and pull off the masking tape.  There is where the woes began, not only did the vinyl not stick, but had slid down the back window.  Needless to say that that vinyl was wasted.  I thought to myself, it might be the aqua velva, so I made up a new bottle of soapy water and tried to get the vinyl to stick to my glass topped kitchen table, with the same results.  At least my spray smelled good.  Anyway, it would appear that the vinyl that I purchased from good 'ole ebay looses it's adhesive qualities when water is applied to it.

All of that being said, am I on the right track here?  Could it be that my dishwashing soap (New and Improved Grease Cutting Dawn), is eating the adhesive?  Could it be the massive amounts of mercury, sediments and chlorine in my tap water that is causing it?  I think I have eliminated all factors except the vinyl.

Crash

Guest Terry

Use Rapid-Tac          Unless you know the correct measure. Alky eats glue. All my vinyl is from ebay.

Guest Terry

rapid-tac2 is for cold weather. how much dawn did you use with how much water?

I buy ALL of my vinyl on ebay,but only from 4 sellers that I know and trust. It is almost always FDC..sometimes Avery or 3m and I have even gotten oracal. I have NEVER had a problem with any of it,sticking or otherwise.And , I use a LOT of vinyl...probably 2000 yards or more a year.

As for alcohol.....DENATURED will harm the vinyl...Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) will NOT.

Guest Terry

I know my vinyl comes from the same guy, FDC.

I used 3 or 4 drops of Dawn in a spray bottle that holds 20 oz of water, along with 2 capfuls of Isopropyl rubbing alcohol.  The temp outside was about 40, but I heated the window with the heat gun.

It could be the vinyl...or it could be too much soap but even at that if you get all of the liquid sqeegied out,it shouldn't matter. I pull my tape 2-3 minutes after I squeegie with no problems. I won;t ask you to reveal who you bought the vinyl from on the open forum but if you PM me with it,I might have your answer. I have heard of one particular ebary seller who sells the shelf lining stuff,and calls  it sign vinyl...and the adhesive on shelf-lining is NOT meant to be permanant and is NOT waterproof.

Guest Terry

I spray the front of the transfer tape in cold weather to release it from the vinyl.

Guest Terry

the mix is 3-4 drops per quart, but I have a question... Did you use clear transfer tape?

Actually, my transfer tape that I have ordered has not come in yet, I am just using painters tape from wal mart.

That be part of the problem. It is more high tack than I would use, and really not designed for liquids to pass through.

Guest Terry

Vodka, extra grease cutting Dawn and painters tape.... HMMMM I don't know whats wrong, sounds ok.  :jumping: :lol:

Guest Terry

You are correct SIR. What we have here is failure to communicate. Hey I got in a hurry when I first got my cutter, I was trying to cut shelving paper for vinyl.  :lol:

I bought 8 rolls 24" x 10 yds from vynil_windowtint_supply and it is actually not usable. It gets tunnels the full width of the vinyl and several of then as it unrolls. If you try to cut anything it just pulls the vinyl up. I emailed them and told them the problem and all they had to say was sorry for the inconvience. Also the colors are all flat not glossy.

That REALLY sounds like shelf paper -- or VERY old vinyl --- order some vinyl from USCutter -- at least then you know you are getting the REAL thing!!

I've been getting mine from Signwarehouse. I know they get a lot of crap on this site but I have never had a problem. I usually use Oracal. I like the way it weeds. I've tried Arlon from a local place and it seems really rubbery and I have to increase the pressure to get it to cut all of the way through.

UPDATE!!  It was not the vinyl.  It must have been my concoction that I was using as application fluid.  I ordered some application fluid from Signwarehouse, and actually tried applying the vinyl in tha approporiate temperature range.  It worked like a champ. 

Crash