TinyTears

Plotter Newbie - Need machine advise

Hi,

I sell full size paper patterns to make homebuilt teardrop camping trailers.  I currently make these by hand.  I would like to plot them and then cut them out with a plotter/cutter (cut out the profile and print details and instructions within the profile).  Would the same machines that are used for vinyl graphics work for this? 

Are the inexpensive machines on ebay ok?  When I just do a general search of retailers  all the machines cost thousands of dollars, vice the hundreds of dollars on ebay.

I use Rhino 3d software for my drawing work (.3dm format).  Will this work with the plotters?  Should I use a different, perhaps vinyl graphics software?

Do you have any general advise for a beginner?

Thanks,

I'd LOVE to build one of those for myself if I was able. PM me your website or whatever you have..my brother would love to see it too.

Now to your question...As long as you get a cutter that is as wide as your widest pattern piece, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You can cut completely through paper. I suggest the refine because it has two cutting strips,one is intended for cutting completely through.

As for the software...well I have never heard of what you are using now but I wouldn't think it would be very hard to either use what comes with the cutter or convert the file in some way.

Bruce or Jerry would know.

Guest Terry

BANNER YOU WROTE: I suggest the refine because it has two cutting strips,one is intended for cutting completely through.

I didn't know that, how do I get the other strip for cutting through.

BANNER YOU WROTE: I suggest the refine because it has two cutting strips,one is intended for cutting completely through.

I didn't know that, how do I get the other strip for cutting through.

There are two cutting strips on the Refine series, the back one is plastic which you will use most of the time, and the front one is felt-like, for cutting all the way through material, such as window tint.

Guest Terry

OK, I'm confused is it on a newer model than mine? Show me please. :lol:

post-0-12986514479628_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298651448208_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986514502008_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986514504115_thumb.jpg

Guest Terry

OHHH, :you rock: So is that white strip tape to be left on? or is it just a protector like the clear tape on the above LED? Is yours still on. So if the one is felt for cutting through... Do you take it out and flip it around to use it?

Thanks

There should have been two kinds of tape over the cutting strips, he masking tape, which it looks as though you have already removed.....and the clear tape which holds the cutting strips in place. No need to remove either of the cutting strips unless you are going to replace it.

:lol:

Guest Terry

I never knew any of that. This is nice for cutting paint stencils then, I have been using cheap vinyl. This opens new things for me.

Thanks you two

Could that strip be used on a Pcut?

If so, I'd like to get one...

Not sure because where the strip would go there is already the ruler in place on the PCut.

Is the strip one piece... the plastic and felt combined on one strip?

Naw, they are two seperate pieces, and I am not even sure Refine sent us replacement felt-like strips.

If you could check and see if they are available it would be much appreciated...

I guess another question would be.... Does it work well for through cutting?  Most of what I do is through cutting card stock.

Thanks

I have heard that people cutting window tint utilize the felt-like strip, but for card stock you could put a scrap piece of card stock undert eh one you are cutting through to serve as backing. Then set the blade depth to cut through the first layer, and barely score the scrap piece so it doesn't cut up your plastic cutting strip.

I've tried that and it doesn't work very well... I've also tried adding a few layers of masking tape with a top layer of anti-abrasion tape.. once again, worked but not very well.

I thought that maybe the felt was the answer.

Thanks

Hi,

I sell full size paper patterns to make homebuilt teardrop camping trailers.  I currently make these by hand.  I would like to plot them and then cut them out with a plotter/cutter (cut out the profile and print details and instructions within the profile).  Would the same machines that are used for vinyl graphics work for this? 

Are the inexpensive machines on ebay ok?  When I just do a general search of retailers  all the machines cost thousands of dollars, vice the hundreds of dollars on ebay.

I use Rhino 3d software for my drawing work (.3dm format).  Will this work with the plotters?  Should I use a different, perhaps vinyl graphics software?

Do you have any general advise for a beginner?

Thanks,

Hi Again,

Its seems my original question got lost in the chaf.  Could someone please help me with the questions above.

Thanks,

If you use a Us Cutter Refine machine it should do what you need. The Refine has a strip intended for through cutting.

You'll need to be able to export the files from Rhino in a format suitable for the cutter software. I would not try to do Cad work in the cutter software. My Pcut plots very nicely and accurately. I've had some issues with through cutting card stock but your patterns will likely be lighter material and if that's the case any of the US Cutters should work fine.

IMHO

I am not sure what a teardrop trailer is. Our cutters will cut material up to 1mm in thickness, so I do not think they will have problems cutting the material. The inexpensive machines are all that most of the users on this forum own. Seems that most are extremely happy with their machines considering the price point.

I have not used Rhino 3D, so I am not sure if it would work or not.

General advise for beginners, excersie some patience while learning and visit the forums often.

About software.

I am unfamiliar with the 3D program you are using.

Does it export EPS?

if so then post a file and i will see if it imports into SignBlazer Elements and then i can judge whether you can do what you want to do or not with the file.

or tell you what you have to do to fix it.

I will leave the hardware to other experts.

Jerry from SignBlazer

Hi,

I downloaded the Signblazer trial.  I imported .dxf files.  All seems to work except the size isn't the same after the import.  I can fix that but the proportions are the same.  Is there a way to import and not lose the original size?

Yes you can adjust the size once you import,if you know the measurements. Jerry can give step by step,I'm not at my SignBlazer computer right now.