spider2076

Can anyone clean this up better than i can?

I'm starting to get the hang of vectoring single color images using inkscape. However, multicolored is still a long way off. I'm working on this image now but would really appreciate if someone else with better knowledge or different programs could vector this. Thanks in advance.

post-10343-12986556581067_thumb.jpg

post-10343-12986556620012_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it is scanned.  Just noticed that, funny.    I'm not worried about the lettering, just need the hammer guy. I've seen him somewhere before. Hoping someone has it.

Unless you and/or your client want to "steal" someone else work, you are "hooped".....Licenced artwork should not be "re-engineered" if it is not available in a format you need for a project....

Hmm.....He has a license for the version he has......As far as I know, re-creating it would certainly be against the terms of the license.....

I would hand trace it.  I trace customer supplied logos all the time.  Just use common sense.  If a customer brings you a Harley logo, you can pretty much be sure it is not HIS logo.  However, in a case like this when the customer brings you an existing business card and wants the same logo, I don't have a problem with it.  If you don't do it, I'm sure one of your competitors will.

Thanks - It ain't perfect, but I was bored this afternoon waiting for a paint job to dry and messed with it until I got tired of fooling with it.  Hopefully he can adjust the nodes and smooth out any jaggies remaining himself.

-Mike

I just looked up that program. $700!! Apparently it's well worth it. How much of the work did the program actually do to the image? Did you change anything afterwards? Do you know if the 'baseline' imagaro z program is worth it?

The professional has enough extra features to make it worthwhile for me.  

Look at the version comparison table.

http://www.imagaro.com/technical.html

The color filter lets you clean up bitmaps faster.

Bitmap editing tools are something I couldn't do without either.

Moving nodes that lie on lines where two colors meet can be done without any gaps being left between colors - only in the professional version.

Text identification is more powerful (tilted - arched etc.)

Resolution enhancer increases the bitmap resolution - (this gives you a limited ability to sharpen details in the bitmap - makes the filesize grow pretty fast and it doesn't work miracles - but it is a nice feature)

The power of the program is that it lets you manipulate the bitmap graphic and then vectorize - if you like what you get save it and go on - if it needs some work just go back to prepare bitmap and tweak the pixels to get a better trace. -- It does a great job of placing nodes in the best places for easy manipulation of the vector -- it does require some cleanup - but it has automatic cleanup which lets you reduce the nodes in the whole graphic at once buy just moving a slider - or pick a path and move a slider to clean up the path - it puts a preview of the new path whenever you put the slider in a new position - I just move it until it stays close to the bitmap.  Or you can select and work on the vector path node by node or section by section and it handles node editing very flexibly and quickly.

If you spend $299 on the basic version I think you would soon be wanting to upgrade for the other features - and you would have to spend   $470 to upgrade vs. $391 difference to go with professional in the first place.  

Without investing in Imagaro - you can increase your success in tracing bitmap images by doing some cleanup and enhancing of the bitmap before doing a trace in Inkscape (Inkscape does a nice job with clean bitmaps).  And skill at manually tracing in Inkscape will get the job done - just takes some time.

Sorry for the longwinded reply

-Mike

No, that's great. I love the side-by-side comparison it does with Corel, AI, and Vector Magic. I'm still in awe of how the auto font feature works. I need to do a lot of jobs to be able to afford this, but i'll definately give it a shot.  Thanks for the help and extra info.

Yeah google for imagaro videos and you will find lots of them.  They make it look so automatic - and it sometimes is just that quick and easy.  But there is a learning curve -  I can do in a few minutes what it used to take me days and days to get done -- and in an hour or two I can do things I just couldn't possibly do before.  

I bought mine from Steve Boek at graphicalsystemsusa

http://www.graphicalsystemsusa.com/

If anybody gets serious about buying please mention my name (Mike Melancon) - Steve told me he will offer credit toward upgrades for referrals - so I would appreciate it.

-Mike

I have the latest version - and minor upgrades are free (the font database continues to expand) - a major upgrade comes at a discounted price from the full version $190 ($500 off the $690 price for the last upgrade)  I would prefer free upgrades, but if they come out with a new version I will probably spring for an upgrade (after I see what the upgrade can possibly improve)

The higher priced upgrades are from the basic version to the Pro version.

-Mike