Sign in to follow this  
BennettUA

No power! Brand new unit

Machine isn't working at all. Plugged into a surge protector, nothing. Plugged straight into the wall, nothing. I just bought this brand new on ebay. MH871. I'm about to jump into traffic, I feel like I just bought a dud, and now I'm gonna get screwed. No support available right now. Any ideas, or am I up the creek?

Could be a bad power supply..or could just be a bad power cord. I've seen that happen before. It's just a standard 3 prong computer cord..see if you can find one and try it. If the power cord is bad, USC will send you a new one. If this isn't the case, and the power supply is bad, put in a support ticket and USC will handle it.

I'm on the phone with them(well, I'm on hold....)

What's the usual protocol for this?

Do they send a new power supply and I get to try to install it?

Or do they send a new unit altogether?

Or do they have me pay to ship it back to them?

Or do they just say "tough luck, new guy" and I'm stuck with an empty wallet and only a dead hunk of metal to show for it?

as I understand it, if they determine it is a bad power supply, they send a new one,which you pay for. Then you send back the old one and they refund your money. I could be wrong...it is a bit confusing. I don't know who pays to ship the old one back..but if it was DOA it shouldn't be you.

They are sending another unit. We tried everything, new power cord, spare fuse, opened the main panel, no light on the LED on the motherboard, so I imagine it's the wiring.

In any case, they're sending another complete unit out on Monday. Fingers crossed!

FWIW, Ben and especially Tom on the USCutter support line were great help; I'm in the service industry too, so I inherently grade service any time I'm in need of it, and Tom was great in every way. Kudos!

This is the first time I ever heard of them sending out a new unit without getting the old one back first. IF you are talking about a whole new cutter and not just the PSU.

This is the first time I ever heard of them sending out a new unit without getting the old one back first. IF you are talking about a whole new cutter and not just the PSU.

I am sending the one I have back, already have the FedEx details for pick-up.

Well, they sent me a new plotter, and it powered up!

I was so excited!

Then I crashed back into Earth....

The blade carriage(which holds the blade) does NOT accept the blades! I know from installing a blade on the previous package's blade carriage that the blade should insert pretty easily, and remove when the release button is depressed and the blade can be grabbed.

I have to push the blade in with WAY too much force, and the release button does absolutely nothing.

Here's a youtube video I made for the support team, showing exactly what I mean:

Support seems to think that new blades will be the solution.....that's right, more of the exact same blades will magically make the mechanism accept the blades cleanly and the release button to do more than NOTHING.......I'm starting to wonder how much I could pawn this hunk of junk for now.....shoulda bought that guitar instead.  :huh:

I think you should insist that they send a new BLADE HOLDER that they test with the provided blades before they ship. The blade should require almost no pressure to insert..and I think the problem is in the holder.

Of course it is possible the wrong blades. But I wouldn't wait for a new pack of blades to find out. You've waited long enough already.

I think you should insist that they send a new BLADE HOLDER that they test with the provided blades before they ship. The blade should require almost no pressure to insert..and I think the problem is in the holder.

Of course it is possible the wrong blades. But I wouldn't wait for a new pack of blades to find out. You've waited long enough already.

I did insist on a new carriage, with no reply....It's been 3+ weeks since I bought this giant paperweight, and not one cut has been made. I wish I knew someone who could make housecalls on this....I just feel like it should be a very simple piece of hardware, and likely simple to use, but boy was I dead wrong.

I did insist on a new carriage, with no reply....It's been 3+ weeks since I bought this giant paperweight, and not one cut has been made. I wish I knew someone who could make housecalls on this....I just feel like it should be a very simple piece of hardware, and likely simple to use, but boy was I dead wrong.

YES you was. research is your friend

Research is all I've done....and all I've consistently found is that these plotters are more headaches than they're worth. Take a look at how many problem forums there are for these things! Contrary to your holier-than-thou opinion, that's NOT a good thing, too see so many people having so many problems.

YES you was. research is your friend

Then return it for a Graphtec and flexi and go pro - these are not sold as professional cutters - they are billed by usc as hobby cutters

Then return it for a Graphtec and flexi and go pro - these are not sold as professional cutters - they are billed by usc as hobby cutters

I bought it for a hobby cutter -- I can't exactly afford a $7500 cutter simply to make a few designs for side work, I'm not opening a new business here, I just wanted to buy a machine that worked. Fail.