Sign in to follow this  
momoftwins

picking a software and new cutter - any suggestions?

HI! I am looking into a new software and possibly a new cutter.  Right now I am using the Cricut with the program Sure Cuts Alot. My wall vinyl decor business is outgrowing this craft cutter.  I have been researching Illustrator since it would cut out one step for me - I wouldn't have to cut everything out to take a photo of it.  The way I understand in Illustrator, I could save the vector file as a SVG and the same file as a jpeg with color, correct?  What other file formats can you save it in?

Next question, would any of the earlier versions of Illustrator work with Windows 7.  Technical notes say it is not tested but I really don't want to pay the latest version price.  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 with Windows 7 without any problem although it is not technically compatible.

Third... does any cutter work for basic wall vinyl decor cutting?  I will do mostly wall sayings, occasionally outdoor signs and vehicle lettering, but a lot of wall stripes which would require accurate tracking or they aren't any good.  There is such a HUGE choice and I am apt to choose the cheapest version that would work for me.  Any suggestions are great - I tried out a Graphtec Craft Robo Pro and hated it!  It wasted a bunch of vinyl, was nearly impossible for me to line it up straight so it would quit cutting halfway through. 

I was thinking about buying the US Cutter MH-Refine, I think it is called.  Would I be able to easily convert my SVGs to their cutter software?  Maybe I should just call into to US Cutter with my one million questions :thumbsup:

do you mean you hated the Graphtec Craft Robo? The Robo PRO (CE5000-40) is probably the best desktop cutter out there.

Adobe Illustrator is sort of the Bentley of vector art software. It does everything and it will save in many, many formats. But your right it's expensive.

Corel Draw is a good second.

Many of the cutter software packages will handle a lot of vector and/or layout functions for you.

OpenOffice has a drawing package included. I haven't used it, but its free!

Once you decide on a cutter, see what software it comes bundled with.

Mine was the Craft Robo Pro II - I don't find much info on it.  Could easily be I didn't know how to run it properly as I bought it used.  I still have it sitting under my desk.  Spent HOURS trying to figure the thing out.  Seems to waste a couple inches of vinyl on each side although other threads suggest otherwise.  I searched for tutorials but they all seemed to be on a different machine than mine.  I also wasn't using any software except Robomaster which wasn't ideal either.  Just can't decide where to go from here.

you can also download and try  www.inkscape.org  It is free design software.  Alot of people use it.  you can save in svg and .eps

See... mine is a blue color but almost like that.  I paid $650 for it but was hoping to get at least $500 out if it.  Am I going to run into the same problems with any cutter?  You guys all say how good Graphtec is and it drove me CRAZY!  Maybe cause I am such a "simple" person with my craft cutter!? 

someone mentioned Inkscape... I have that already.  Quite complicated although I have used the trace feature and saved files in different formats with it.  Can't figure how to design some simple/elegant wall sayings in it though.

I have a 30" Graphtec,  and I love it.  had over 3 years now and NEVER a problem.  with a great warranty also.  Paid for it'self in no time at all. You can't go wrong with any Graphtec. 

Did you download the user manual from the Graphtec site for the Craft Robo?  very ez to get one...

Momoftwins, before you ditch the Robo...

It sounds to me like you are in the same boat I am. I made a lot of assumptions about how my cutter was supposed to work. My machine came with a "manual" that was in severely broken english and it managed to actually make things worse for me.

Read CRD's New Bie guide. It helped me fix a lot of the frustrating things I've run into while learning my cutter.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17489.0.html

I am pretty sure I have that manual - I keep confusing the manual of the Robomaster and the Craft Robo.  Basically, I need to have a way to simply line up, say, a 4-ft long sheet of vinyl so it will cut from start to finish without running off the roller.  Maybe, I need to have the rollers attached to roll the vinyl around??  Also, maybe it was the setting... one, I know measures just right and left and the other setting measures all 4 ways.  Maybe I do need to haul it all out and try again.  I have a tendency to give up too quickly.  I will have to try the trial version of the Sign Blazer - will it tie in to my RoboMaster/Graphtec and allow me to cut?  Thanks for the manual - I am printing it for future reference.

yes, you need to put your vinyl on rollers , so there isn't any tugging of the vinyl.  Your making your machine work too hard,  the machine shouldn't be pulling on a roll of vinyl when it is cutting., This will make it not track right.  You should give the vinyl enough slack for the actual order you are cutting.  My Graphtec tracks perfect all the time, and I run huge fullside vehicle graphics,  I don't think you are properly running the machine to get the full benefits of it.  Graphtec are great machines. I think if you would run it as it should be ran, and follow the manuals , you would love it!!!

yes, you can try using Signblazer with it.  

Ok.  When I did the cut I had the 4 ft piece precut so it wasn't tugging it off the roll.  If the roll is installed properly, will it line up by itself correctly? My other problem, I am currently using all 24" rolls of vinyl.  My Graphtec is 15" and I'm not sure if I want to have both sizes on hand.  What happened when I did the test cut, it stopped because the roller ran off the vinyl and showed misaligned.  Then, when I realligned and try to continue the cut it just cut one huge line all the way across the vinyl and stopped - ruining the whole piece of vinyl!  Any suggestions?

You do have to feed the vinyl in straight - usually I run the vinyl back and forth and adjust the rollers until I get it to track straight to begin with.  with either the copam or graphtec once lined up you should have no problems with tracking changing as it runs

why would you use 24" vinyl?  Like you said the machine is a 15"  You need 15" vinyl  and keep practicing.    I have no idea what you did.  Start again.  we all have to practice to learn our machines.  Use scrap vinyl. and start with something small,    If the cutter had a pen,  use pen and paper.  and practice that way.  

We had an mh - if you think its hard to get the vinyl straight you will hate the mh - keep the graphtec we have 2 now and love them

There is inkscape and there is a plug in for inkscape you can use to cut with I believe it should work with the graphtec we don't have windows so we can't test it but I am thinking of setting up a computer with win to try it out

Stick with the Graphtec, you wont find a better machine, maybe equal but not better, it's at the top of the range.  Try to get someone who runs a Graphtec around too show you exactly what you need to know. That way you'll know just what a great machine it is. Best of luck with it.

Joe