Sign in to follow this  
Shrikezero

Things left out of manuals

I know most of you are vinyl cutters, but I also do large format printing, engraving, laminating, and etc. in my shop. Which gives me many, many more opportunities to be an idiot.

Here are a few things I've learned the hard way.

- Inkjet ink will boil, yes boil, if you try to laminate it without giving it overnight to dry.

- Clamps, rollers and other material hold downs are not equipped with AI.

- You hands are terrible material hold downs.

- The laminator will not stop itself just because you yell at it from across the room. Nor will it stop laminating while you go get coffee. The laminator is immune to personal insults and profanity.

- The vinyl cutter will not stop itself just because you yell at it from across the room. see laminator

- The engraver will not stop itself just because you yell at it from across the room. see laminator

- The coffee pot will not stop itself just because you yell at it from across the room. see laminator

- The engraver does not care what blade you put in. It's gonna run what you told it too.

- The engraver does not care that without material all its doing is grinding the blade against the metal deck.

- The engraver does not care that you forgot to switch out the finished sign for a blank.

The vinyl cutter is in cahoots with the engraver and the laminator. I'm not sure about the coffee pot yet, he's usually my friend. Also anthropomorphizing the machines in your shop is a slippery slope to paranoia.

another one is

-if the vinyl bunches and jams the vinyl cutter will not stop on it's own. You just screwed up your profit on this job dumb dumb.

lol

;D

Do not walk away....continue to stare trance-like at the

moving blade or print heads and everything will come out fine.

Turn away to answer the phone or get that cup of coffee and

you're sure to jinx the whole job.

Sue2

A friend of mine with a CNC machine shop built a device similar to a clapper that activated upon "hearing" a loud noise.  It was connected to eStop circuit of the machine.  He demonstrated it by yelling "STOP" at the machine...and the machine stopped. 

He said he was tired of his employees yelling at the machinery when things went south.  It was a cool concept other the fact that every time someone dropped something or used a hammer, the machine shut down. 

;D

Do not walk away....continue to stare trance-like at the

moving blade or print heads and everything will come out fine.

Turn away to answer the phone or get that cup of coffee and

you're sure to jinx the whole job.

Just like the Weeping Angels from Dr. Who. Blink and its all over.