Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

Amount of cuts

I was wondering the same thing.  A buddy of mine has had his cutter 2 years and is on the first blade.  He uses his cutter every day.  It still cuts great, Infact it cuts as good as my 2 month old blade. 

-Dan 

2 years, every day?  Wow

I have heard that some have been using the same blade for 7-8 months, and some change every 1-2 months. Depends on the material you are cutting and how often you cut.

:thumbsup:

I've used my same blade for about 9 months but it finally stopped cutting smoothly. I don't think there is any "magic number" on how long they last, just watch for cuts not being smooth and it's time to change! Or you can just change it because you want to.

In Australia we actually sell special long life blades.

They are expensive.

About US$50.00 each.

One blade can easily last a year or more.

However with the price of Chinese blades being so low now there is little point in buying these expensive blades.

I have seen numbers such a 10 miles and so on quoted by manufacturers for their blades.

Now just how are you going to measure that length of cutting?

Not sure how manufacturers ever come up with these figures.

The best advice is as above, change it as soon as you no longer get excellent work.

Hint 1

If it become harder to weed then it is time to change your blade.

Hint 2.

Buy yourself a couple of spare holders.

When you have used a blade for a while then put it into a spare holder and use this for low cost vinyl or mettallic stuff.

The new blade use for new vinyl work.

The third holder?  Have a blade with a small offset in ready for small lettering.

When cutting you do not want to stop.

Having spare holders loaded with blades can increase production.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

Where can one get spare holders? Are they pretty much the same? I've only seen the 45 & 60 offset blades on uscutterdirect, what others are available?

I don't see any holders or any other blades than the 45 & 60 under the pcut

Ok, I found a place that has the 30 blade.

What's the difference between the alloy and ceramic holders? (other than the material it's made of  :lol: )

Remember that is not the blade angle that is important it is the offset which is important.

Here are the general rules about blade offsets

Blade offset from 0.15 to 0.2 -- for small letters.

Blade offset from 0.25 to 0.30 -- all normal work

Blade Offset from 0.50 to 0.75 -- for thick materials.

Do not buy blades by the angle.  Always check to see what the offset is first.

Not the blade angle.

We do also stock extra blade holders for the PCut, but I guess they are just not listed. If anyone needs an extra blade holder for the PCut or LaserPoint, just shoot me a PM. Same price as the Refine series blade holders I think.

I thought that Ken would have them in stock.

Having spare blade holders are the most important spare parts you can own.

Buy one or two right away.

I don't know the prices however they are miles cheaper than the mainstream brands.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

Thanks Jerry! I think I have it down now. I haven't been able to find anything below the .25 offset, any ideas? I know with my luck I'll end up needing to make small letters for someone

Blades with small offset have to be ordered by resellers from the manufacturers.

Few if any stock them.

Also they are quite expensive.

However i am sure Ken can get some for you.

These are for letters below 10mm or half an inch.

Actually the clients we have that use them cut letters all the time at about 3mm high or one eight of an inch.

I find that Chinese cutters are good to do letters to about half an inch.

There are few except the top of the range servo cutters that cost many thousands that can cut letters at one eight of an inch high or 3 mm.

So for letters half an inch a normal blade is fine with an offset of 0.25 to 0.3

Jerry from SignBlazer.

I doubt I would ever need to go down to 1/8" but 1/4" or even 3/8" are possible. I guess I could always sub those jobs out.

But it would be nice to know where we can get blades with smaller offsets.  Ken, maybe you can find some blades with different offsets??

I can run it by Marcus, if he has not thought of it already. Good idea. 

I do many things for USCutter, but purchasing is not one of them, so it would be up to him.

:lol:

Ken

Did  any blades with smaller offset ever show up?  I need to cut very small letters for RC boats and am having a rough

time.  Maybe my cutter setup could be better, where should I start, speed, pressure?  I'm cutting 1/4" letters.

Tom

Ken

Did  any blades with smaller offset ever show up?  I need to cut very small letters for RC boats and am having a rough

time.  Maybe my cutter setup could be better, where should I start, speed, pressure?  I'm cutting 1/4" letters.

Tom

We do have 60degree blades in stock which some people use for smaller, more detailed cutting. You could also try different speed and force settings. It may take a little trial and error.