Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Flexi: Is it worth it?

I have a genuine question here for Flexi-users.

I have Photoshop, SignCut, SignBlazer Elements, Illustrator, Inkscape and know how to use them all decently.

Do I really need a 1700 dollar piece of software such as FlexiDesign, or a 4000 dollar software package like FlexiPro?

To me, Flexi seems like a suite of junk modules such as 'graphics' clipart files, import utilities (already easy to do with other packages), vectorizing tools (Inkscape does this masterfully, and it's free), a 'spell check' (my spelling is already good and I can check dictionary.com free).

What is the draw of such expensive software when you're selling 5 dollar decals? Since many non-artists get their art from stock art, or free from Google, why would they pay 1700+ for software used to print/cut it? For some reason, I don't realistically think people are actually paying THAT much for this kind of software when other cheap software packages do the same job...or do they?

SignCut is a few bucks a month, and does a nice job, and has amazing weed tools which cut perfectly. SignBlazer is free, and yes, it's awful, but it can handle contour cutting for some people (though for me it's a crashfest). But, it's free. Why would someone reject both SignCut and free SBE to pay 1700+ for FlexiDesign or more for the 'upgraded' packages?

Also, which is the minimum Flexi I would need to try Contour Cutting? This seems something that is elusive in SignCut, or at least it is to me since I can't get this seemingly straightforward process to work. SBE is a joke. It's completely outdated software, unsupported, and crashes constantly. How is contour-cutting in Flexi with an LP24?

To me, Flexi seems ridiculously expensive, and redundant with all the other tools I have. Someone enlighten me! I am willing to pay the big bucks for software *if* there is a point to is. My 3DS Max software is 4K, but that's 3D software. To me, simple sign-cutting software is competitive market, and there are lots of cheap software packages which do it all. So, why pay so much for Flexi? I can see on this forum that Flexi has plenty of issues, but if it handles some things like Contour Cutting well, I can see why it might start to be worth the cost, tho it's a LOT more expensive than SignCut and I know people are contour-cutting with SignCut.

Thanks much. The decals I'd be cutting are small, not usually big quantities, but I really want to know what I am missing with Flexi. The feature list is supremely underwhelming and 'contour cutting' isn't even listed on their 1700-dollar 'medium' level software, Flexi-Design.

try the flexistarter8.6 version first, it is great for contour cutting and only cost $129.

It is expensive, but if you are a high volume production shop, it's worth it.  Design and cut in one program saves a lot of time. 

It is expensive, but if you are a high volume production shop, it's worth it.  Design and cut in one program saves a lot of time. 

I totally agree except I still think it's over priced for what it is,compared to similar software.

Look at VE LXI master plus for a cheaper rebraned flexi - the only thing missing I have found is the rip for printing large format and lots cheaper.  I personally bought a copy of 7.6 and then upgraded thru sw and got a great price . . . .

FlexiStarter for 129. Now that's a decent price.

I guess I can understand design and print in one package, but doesn't everyone and his brother have Photoshop? Nothing beats Photoshop, imho. I guess as an artist I already have an army of design tools, and I think SignCut is so reasonable, so I was trying to figure out why people paid so much for Flexi.

I am not trolling, these are genuine questions from someone who loves cutting decals! :D

Perhaps there are other reasons why Flexi is so expensive? It can't be just that it is a design tool....I know most people on this forum probably have Photoshop already, right?

I guess my perspective is that I can't envision any bells and whistles worth 1700.00 just to print decals when there is software that does it at a tiny fraction of that price.

If I had 1700.00 to spend on software, I'd put that toward a Roland VersaCamm! :D

Most of the higher end cutter graphtec and roland has free plug ins for ai and corel - spend 1700 on either of them and use there plug in

I guess my perspective is that I can't envision any bells and whistles worth 1700.00 just to print decals when there is software that does it at a tiny fraction of that price.

If that's all you're doing then you probably wouldn't see the value in Flexi.  If you were a production shop doing artwork, cutting and applying vinyl, answering phones and trying to keep few employees straight, every minute you can save is worth gold.  Also if you have employees doing artwork and cutting vinyl, Flexi is easier to use than Corel or Illustrator and less complicated when it comes to cutting because it's all done without leaving Flexi.  It's all relative.  $1700 is a lot, but back when I bought Flexi, we were averaging twice that every day in gross sales.