Sign in to follow this  
abullock22

question on cutter decision and starter setup

I work in a sign shop and constantly use the summa vinyl plotter we have here - I actually enjoy it working it but most of the decal jobs are large commercial jobs and we frequently pass up on the smaller decal jobs. This made me realize that if i bought a vinyl cutter I could step in and plug the gap with my own equipment. The shop also does not have the capabilities to contour cut stickers, so Im also looking to move in on that area too.

Looking around this site which is great BTW!!, I am coming to a head of what to buy, either a Copam CP-2500 or a USCutter LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter - looking at the 24" widths - (my budget being only around 700 dollars for starting off). My question is for contour cutting, is the laserpoint a better machine? Im presuming for cutting vinyl decals they measure up equally?- do they both do a good job, i guess the only reason im thinking the laserpointer has the advantage at the moment is due to its contour cutting for the stickers, I was reading the copam doesnt quite have the capabilities, or you have to do it manually at least (sounds like a would become a bit of a headache over time)

Additionally I have an epson 1200 printer for printing the stickers on - so i belive i have to get a UV ink CIS, and papillo vinyl and also looking to get some over laminate such as frog juice, or can someone reccomend a better overlaminate to use to protect the stickers that I can just squeegee on top of the printed stickers...im not sure about frog juice, sounds like something you just pour all over your work??

Am i missing anything else, would love to hear opinions on the set up and it it sounds like im on the right path at least :thumbsup:

much appreciated

andy

Frog Juice also comes in an aerosol spray can. According to another site 2-3 coats will give you good UV protection...Google it.  :thumbsup:

great ill have a google, any opinions on the cutters?

oh also how much are the programs to run the cutters, ive been hearing some programs are like 800 dollars to upgrade to the full version - is this true?

you can download Signblazer right now from  the Signblazer thread,  or from a US Cutter EBAY ad for vinyl cutters,  It is FREE software.  Alot of people on the forum use it. 

Copam is a much nicer cutter than the laserpoint (Basically a p-cut with a laser pointer to manually contour) but the copam does not contour cut

thanks guys so signblazer is a good way to go!

So dakotagrafx there is no chance to contour cut with the copam at all - thats to bad, is the laserpoint that much worse than the copam in regards to vinyl cutting?

There is a manual work around with a lining up with the pen attachment but I have never used it.  I notice the first big improvement in cutters when I got my copam so I thought it was a big difference - not as big as when I got the graphtec though

Thanks for the info, think ill do some more digging on the contouring with the copam, if its a slight headache ill struggle through if the vinyl cutting is that much better _ thanks again!

interesting, ive still not seen any posts about anyone succesfully using a copam to contour cut no matter what the software cliams :)

looks like a laserpoint is the way i might have to go - i was really looking towards the copam as well, least it will be cheaper though - gotta look on the bright side of things!! (quikly looked at a graphtec but there to pricey, nothing on ebay either)

thanks speeddoggy - im actually watching a big on ebay at the moment for a Graphtec CE 1000-60 24", who knows maybe i can get a steal - but if not, at the moment I just cant swing that money even with the sale sadly :/

Remember the CE1000 is the older version of the CE3000 which is the older model of the ce3000 . . . . . the 3000's are anywhere from 3 to 8yrs old and if buying a 3000 only the mk2 has contour cutting

Being a graphtec though it should be good

oh really, *sigh* ok so that doesnt sound to promising..if only the copam would contour cut ...grr!!

Ive put in a thread in the copam area to see if anyone can explain how to contour cutting with a copam, using the mentioned software or otherways, i really hope someone can step forward and provide proof it can be done!!

If you are looking at the Copam, but contour cutting is a must, then I would highly recommend the ZenCut Green. This unit is quite easy to contour cut with if you are using CorelDRAW and it is right on par as far as performance goes with the Graphtec CE5000. I have linked to the product below. If you have any questions about this unit please give us a call at 888-298-8143. Thanks.

ZenCut Green: http://www.uscutter.com/ZenCut-Green-Series-Vinyl-Cutter_p_1179.html

thanks levi for the suggestion - looks like a decent peice of kit, but i had a talk with myself last night :thumbsup: and decided to reduce the width of the cutter im looking at getting (im only going to do smaller jobs anyway, plus im confident enough to join up sectioned pieces if required) and go with the CE5000-40 Craft ROBO Pro 15 inch desktop, if i really start to get bigger jobs then hopefully by that time I will be able to put the money I make towards a 24" copam