scarecrowglass

new to vinyl, and photo-editing, but i need to learn for my glass work!

im a 27 yr old glass blower, and stepping up to the next level in glass work so, i just purchased a 24" MH, corel 4 essentials,and lots of oracal 651. i really hope this will do what i need.

im looking for something to use for templates for sandblasting my glass. i need to be able to take images and make then simply 1 layer pos/neg contrast.

i sure hope this software can do this, and not just limit me to drawing images on the computer, or only letting me use clipart crap:(

... any tips or insight is greatly appreciated:)

I would say you made the right choice witht eh cutter  - on the corel essentials I am not sure as I use x4

It sounds like you are off to a good start. Another software to pick up is Inkscape. www.inkscape.org It's FREE!! It will help you vector images and make them cutable.

Just read around the forum and you will learn a lot of great information here. The oracal 651 has been used as sandblast mask for other people so I am sure it should work for you.

Guest kenya

Welcome to the forum.

I would love to see some post of your glass blowing work in the future.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!! In regards to the age question.. I'm 27 yrs old, glass blowin for awhile.. On off, do it for a living now days..

..I just recieved all my equipment, haven't opened the boxs yet.. And I was reading here I have to download drivers online to operate? I hope not.. I was hoping to do all my work on my xps that stays offline.. :thumbsup:

Download the drivers to a thumb drive from a computer that is online. Transfer them to your xps.

If you are going to use signcut to cut, you will need to have internet access as it checks to make sure the license is still valid when it cuts

Welcome,!!! 

you came to the right place, got the right cutter for sure, you dont really need corel but its nice and you have it now, you can always use SignBlazer, which I use, its free and on this site...as it has been said, inkscape will be a good friend, its exactly what you need as far as I can tell from what you have posted, it seems you are well on your way... for masking, 90% of my business in its current incarnation is stencils, If I were you I would seriously use Oramask Orcal type 811, I used to use buy crappy vinyl to mask(Im certainly NOT saying 651 is crappy, there was this other junk I used to buy because it was not as sticky. The name escapes me), but the oramask is worth the 1.5x price I pay for 651, it wont bleed (although you are not really concerned with that), it is nice and easy to manipulate, it is completely repositionable before you remove the xfer tape so if you make a mistake where you put it just pull it off and try again where regular vinyl will stick and stay and it comes of WAY easier.

If you are anywhere near philly Id be HAPPY to give you a sample of the oramask, cause its just that good..

Wayne

Thanks for the great advice! I will pic up a roll and try it, I will definatly be trying different vinyl types till I find what works best, just gonna start with this:)

I'm nowhere near Philly, I'm a norcal boy.. But no biggy, I'll try a few things:)

Welcome to the forum. Where in norcal are you? If you need some Oramask, let me know... I'm in the Sacramento area...

im in lakecounty, not horribly far from sac, (great skateparks in sac!) and i appreciate the offer! people here sure seem to be friendly! ...now i just gotta get this cutter to work, been waiting a couple hours for Email back for registration code from signblazer:(

im in lakecounty, not horribly far from sac, (great skateparks in sac!) and i appreciate the offer! people here sure seem to be friendly! ...now i just gotta get this cutter to work, been waiting a couple hours for Email back for registration code from signblazer:(

If you are talking about directly from signblazer they are out fo business - if you are speaking of from the member here that has the posted link you must return the email as directed for an automated return with the info

i bought the cutter, came with the signblazer disc needed, but after loading everything it says i need the activation code, and will be sent to my email, never got it... so i tried "retrieve activation code" and i cant do that because it asks for my "software serial number".. a number i dont have because i wasnt givin one, usually it is on the damned envelope of the disc right?

....am i missing something here?

Try downloading from the Signblazer link. That one seems to work better for most people, and SB is a permenant trial version so if you can live with the splash screen that ask you if you want to continue with trial every time, you'll be fine.

my serial cable is male at one end and female at the other, is it supposed to be shipped like that? id rather use serial then USB, but i need female/female to do that...

i cant transfer from inkscape to SB, and its getting annoying, i have tried lots of different ways, and they are vector graphics i created... read my post in the "signblazer" section