Sign in to follow this  
DK-Freestyle

Having trouble with a client using Oracle651

Hey guys, I've been having some major issues with a client lately. I'm using Oracle 651 vinyl, and his race numbers keep coming off of his ski. My graphics business involves graphic kits and race numbers for competitive jet ski racing (http://www.dk1designs.com/). I've made TONS of kits and numbers for friends and other racers, and have never had any problems. But a couple weeks ago, one of my sponsored riders sent one of his friends my way, and he had me make a wrap for the front of his ski and a number plate that goes on the top and bottom deck of his ski.

Long story short, the bottom half of his numbers are being removed while he's riding around on the track, within 10 minutes of being in the water. I replaced his numbers, and put them on dry, and the same thing happened. I thought that I was using too much soap & water the first time, but I guess not. He told me that he's gone out riding the same day that I put the numbers on. Would that be pulling the numbers off? The vinyl isn't getting enough time to cure to the hull? I also made a black background on the orange number plate so that it could have more surface area to stick to, but I guess that didn't help.  :thumbsup:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached 2 pictures that he sent me. The first picture is the first time it happened, and the second picture is the second time it happened (applied yesterday).

post-4742-12986551256164_thumb.jpg

post-4742-12986551256527_thumb.jpg

post-4742-12986551270241_thumb.jpg

post-4742-12986551270537_thumb.jpg

Has he waxed the bottom of the ski?  maybe clean with alcohol first when applying

Doubt he waxed it, but there's still a chance. I did use some soapy water and cleaned the surface real good before applying the numbers though. I dried it all up too to make sure it would stick good.

I'd use some Rapid Prep and get all the wax, grease, oils, etc off it.

Even app fluid such as rapid tac cleans good and i haven't had any problems in 5 years.

If the waters hitting up that high, maybe it's literally shredding the vinyl with the speeds.

I was considering that too, but I've made numbers for racers who are going 10-20 mph faster then his ski is, and their numbers are in perfect condition.

This guy wants his money back, so I guess problem solved.  :thumbsup:

Dang, i honestly have no idea.

I would give him the money back since there doesn't seem to be alot of vinyl lost at all. It may help save your rep but more than likely no matter what your reps alittle burnt depending on how the customer takes this issue.

I wonder if he has one of those long term car waxes on it. I think there is some sort of imcompatibility problem with the surface....Definitely do some more research and maybe a third application if he is willing..If you can get it right it will be a positive for ya.

Also go with some wax and grease remover solvent Before the rapid prep. and if you can have it stay out of the water for 24 hours.

Yep...gotta be something on the substrate.

I always clean anything like that that I am worried about with denatured alcohol first....and I haven't had problems. 

I ve been doing work for couple of body shops an dpaint want stick to some stuff talk to a NAPA or automotive paint store and they can help soap and water will not clean wax off think of washing your vehicle jhelms

I ve been doing work for couple of body shops an dpaint want stick to some stuff talk to a NAPA or automotive paint store and they can help soap and water will not clean wax off think of washing your vehicle jhelms

that's why i said rapid prep, you must use the right tools to do install jobs correctly. Go out right now, order a gallon of rapid prep, I've used it for years now and it works EVERYTIME

I agree that it might be a coating on it, like wax or an anti-fungal coating.

Get the Rapid Prep and in the future re-bottle it and sell it with the kit.