haumana

light box alternative?

So I've read here and there on this forum that some of you use a light box to help with the weeding process. Is there an alternative for people like me who will most likely never use my cutter for professional reasons? I've been sitting down at my coffee table, squinting (I'm sure this is probably the fastest way to a new prescription for my eyes  ;) ), and using my handy dandy x-acto (all the while trying very hard not to poke myself with it)  :-.

a 2x4, a piece of white translucent plastic,and a light source. Build your own light box in 20 minutes.

You can make one very easy, Build a box what ever size you think you need install lights in the bottom put white plexi glass on top the glass on top of the plexi glass. I have found so far light table has been handy for anything other than white. Oh yeah put a support in the middle so when you press down you wont break the glass, mine is tempered glass.

Unless I run out of things to say. It ain't easy coming up with these pearls of wisdom.

I'm sure he'll be hitting 800 before the end of the weekend.  ;)

Yeah I think you are right. Maybe 1000 by New Years? What a way to start 08. What do you think?

I have found so far light table has been handy for anything other than white.

So does a different color light box work better on white? or is that just a totally lame question?

I think I can manage to put together a light box.

For me weeding white I have found that a overhead light helps. A lamp will work, Then I look at my vinyl at a angle so I can see what I am doing. My partner and I got our first cutter in Sept. so I am still new. I am sure that if someone has found a better method they will share.

Here is a pic of Burgundy vinyl on my light table from when I was having a problem. You can see how well your cuts stand out. Hope that helps.

post-1385-12986513775037_thumb.jpg

post-1385-12986513791766_thumb.jpg

wow. that's a great shot. i'm convinced. light box will be next on my projects of things to do.

When the wife's away, I go into the dining room and use the patio door. Thus far she's yet to figure out where the masking tape marks are coming from.

I use a giant drafting table with an overhead lamp. I love the angle it sits at, makes getting close to the work easy.

I agree on that.The angle that the light hits the vinyl makes a big difference. I don't have any lighting directly over my weeding area..always slightly to the back.

Yeah I think you are right. Maybe 1000 by New Years? What a way to start 08. What do you think?

That would be nice,but I'm running out of things to say. I don't think many people use the 'search' feature because I keep seeing teh same questions popping up.

I hit 1000 on a computer forum a few years back....shortly therafter,the forum went bust.

Banner I don't think this forum will bust, at least I hope not. This forum and people like yourself are very helpful . And I thank you all. As the software improves and cutters change there will always be new questions. uscutter needs to let some of there top contributers demo new cutters for a few months, so you guys can give your opinions. You guys have developed a high reputation from a lot of users. The demo will help everyone in 2 ways. 1 will generate new sells for uscutters from your opinions and 2 this will give you more knowledge of the newer equipment to better help other forum members, which in turn reduces cost on uscuuters tech support man hours. And give you free use of the equipment for a few months. Sounds like a win, win, but just a thought.

I bought a glass top dining room table at a second hand store. Place a lamp or light underneath it (sometimes I use a clip on light) and viola light table :huh:

makes a great work table too.

Bill

I'm hoping to find a glass table as well. If not, then I will definitely be making one on my own ... I much prefer to take the easy way and buy though.  :huh:

I see glass top tables and glass topped coffee tables all the time at Thrift stores,Goodwill,garage sales. Very easy to find.

If you are ever in the Palmdale, CA area look me up -- I am always getting these things and having to throw them out! I manage a Self Storage and you wouldn't believe the things people leave behind.  :huh:

If you are ever in the Palmdale, CA area look me up -- I am always getting these things and having to throw them out! I manage a Self Storage and you wouldn't believe the things people leave behind.  :huh:

Wow... that is like a treasure trove of other people's junk.

Mostly junk -- not too many treasures  :-

That's when eBay comes in handy ... "Mystery box".  :huh:

Anyone who wants to give me $10.00 per box plus shipping I will gladly fill it with the stuff these people leave behind!  :huh:

You never know what you may get -- the other day I found Avon beer mugs and a crack pipe!!!  ;D

You never know what you may get -- the other day I found Avon beer mugs and a crack pipe!!!  :huh:

Interesting combination.  ;D