Sign in to follow this  
mr5890

MH721 Won't Lift

I've seen a few other posts like this, but they didn't really answer my question.

Vinyl cutter model  MH721

Date purchased (Date is best, otherwise month and year)  Somewhere around Sept 09

Connection method (USB, serial, Parallel)  USB

Software (Signcut, Artcut, Flexi, etc)  Signblazer

Operating system  Windows 98

Material  Oracal 631

Yesterday I was cutting some Oracal 631, and I believe static buildup caused my computer to shut down, but my cutter stayed on.  So, I restarted my computer and the cutter, and after doing so, the blade will not raise up when cutting.  The machine isn't grounded....(I know, I know).  I've pulled the covers, can't see anything abnormal with the wiring (not even sure what I'm supposed to be looking for, I just know there's no loose wires or connections that I can see).  Did static fry the thing?  What else can I try or test to figure out what needs to be done.

Thanks

Matt

I would love to get this topic talked about and have someone from US Cutter to chime in.  I am having the exact same problem with my cutter.  The blade will not lift up.

After a call to support, which didn't help at all, I disconnected the USB cable, turned off the cutter, waited for more than 15 minutes, cut it back on, did NOT connect back to the computer, the blade still would not raise up.  So I know that it isn't an issue with the computer, the memory, or the signblazer software, it is an issue with the machine itself.

I bought this cutter in July of 2009, and now only 7 months later, it will not work.  If it is under warranty, I don't feel that I should have to pay the outrageous shipping charges to have it sent for repair.  If I can't get this problem resolved, US Cutter will have lost my business.

I used this test from howard to determine whether its the carriage or the motherboard:

1: pull off carriage cover

2: there will be either two soldered wires or two copper plates

3: using a nine volt battery, touch the plates (the battery will fit perfectly to touch a contact to each plate

4: if nothing happens, flip the battery and try again

if the blade jumps, the carriage is fine and you need a motherboard.  If the blade doesn't respond to the battery, you need a carriage

I just did the test and the blade jumped.  Which means the carriage is fine and I need a motherboard.  Something that the tech support person didn't want to listen to me enough to talk about when I had him on the phone.  I guess the next thing I need to do is contact US Cutter now and see what I can get done.  The cutter is less than a year old so is still under the 1 year warranty.  Do they just send me a motherboard to replace or do they want me to send that giant cutter back and pay in excess of $70 each way for shipping charges?  I don't think that would be good customer service.

http://iripoff.com/11941/US_Cutter_-_USCutter.com_-_SCAM.html

Well, since I bought my MH 721 from US Cutter off of their ebay site, I only had a 90 day warranty, so to get a new motherboard, I will have to purchase one from them, which runs $80, not including shipping.    I was looking for links to motherboard problems and came across the above link that just made me start to think.  I'm sure all of you that haven't had any problems will defend US Cutter, and that's fine.  I got what I paid for, crappy warranty, a cutter that stopped working in 7 months, and I have to buy a part that may or may not fix it, and pay for the shipping.

I'm not really bashing US Cutter, just saying they could be a little more user friendly to customers that have bought their products.

http://iripoff.com/11941/US_Cutter_-_USCutter.com_-_SCAM.html

Well, since I bought my MH 721 from US Cutter off of their ebay site, I only had a 90 day warranty, so to get a new motherboard, I will have to purchase one from them, which runs $80, not including shipping.    I was looking for links to motherboard problems and came across the above link that just made me start to think.  I'm sure all of you that haven't had any problems will defend US Cutter, and that's fine.  I got what I paid for, crappy warranty, a cutter that stopped working in 7 months, and I have to buy a part that may or may not fix it, and pay for the shipping.

I'm not really bashing US Cutter, just saying they could be a little more user friendly to customers that have bought their products.

Your hit the nail on the head!

UScutter needs to step up and acknowledge the grounding problems that are causing 90% of all their complaints. If they would figure out how to fix the problem or hire someone who could for them, I dont think you could find a better product for the money BUT........ I truly believe this was a 5 to 7 year  business plan, flood the market, make as much as we can, as long as we can and get out to a new venture. (china has millions of product to ship to port) But now there capital has grown and are expanding, to a more stable long term future. I hope.

Fix the grounding issue that has been plaguing your company from the start

Jim

Wasn't getting enough attention on your own thread Jimmie?  Time to find a new sandbox!

Wasn't getting enough attention on your own thread Jimmie?  Time to find a new sandbox!

I haven't seen Jimmie's' thread, but agree with him 100%.

On my last tech support ticket to US Cutter, I received one reply.  I replied to that one on three occasions, and have not heard a single thing back from them.  They just left me out in the cold without giving a crap about helping me with my issue.  This one was an email from Levi.

I will NOT be telling anyone I know to buy anything from US Cutter.