nonabelle

OK FOR THE COMPUTER TECHS...

fivestar, mader, firemalt, banner john,  dakato, and who ever else i don't know about.

here's the deal. running xp professional on a lenovo desktop

amd athlon 64x2 dual core 3800

250 gb hard drive

i gig memory

nvidia ge force 6400 i think

anyway. my question is, should i upgrade to windows 7 or clean install, which i really don't want to do.(Clean Install)

and what do u guys think of the windows 7

does it really make a difference

that's all for now.

lol thanks in advance

sheila

sheila - I just got a copy of Win7 to install on another computer I am building so I haven't tried it yet, IMHO I will keep using win xp on my dedicated cutting computer until I tst win 7 fully and am comfortable with it.  not worth the chance for me.  on the install I always prefer a clean install over a upgraded.

My 2c

You don't really have to upgrade if you don't want to. I really liked Windows XP, and I wish the Vista/7 was more like it. When upgrading, I would def upgrade your memory too. Windows 7 will use almost 1 gb of memory just starting up and to be able to anything you'll need to upgrade.

My Opinion?

Don't upgrade, no need really, just upgrade your memory to the max it can hold and be done.

WOW, thanks for the quick replies. i really don't want to either. i like to wait at least a year, or they get all those bugs out of software, if u know what i mean. honestly, i've never been quick to change over systems.

ok another problem is, microsoft is telling me thru an update that my current software is not genuine. well i purchse this pc like this. i have an xp professional cd by dell, which i don't think will work, i also have a home premium version but has lost the key.

thanks guys for all ur help.

I don't plan on upgrading,, About a month ago I went on EBAY and purchased a second Toshiba laptop xp pro for back up.  Also got the photoshop with it. That computer is actually more advanced that the one I am using,  Got it for $250.00  I have already loaded everything  on it, in case my other dies. my cutting software, Illy, and all my pictures and graphics.  I also have all my graphics on an external hard drive.  Just a thought for you people, who do not have your graphics designs backed up... It could cost you your business,,  Invest in a backup of somekind..  my 2c

Guest fivestar

Sheila I wouldn't go to Win 7 yet either, not for your cutting computer.  I am still running win xp on my printing/cutting computer.  It's so funny you posted this though, I just installed win 7 on a hard drive I bought just to see how it worked/looked.

I really like win 7 but I'd wait before I put it on my printing/cutting machines.

thanks five, i totally agree and feel more comfortable with my decision.

i guess i will purchase a sealed copy off line and reinstall with a new key. hell, i'm tired of looking at this black desktop background that they changed when informing me of my bad copy of windows.

@ speed, yeah, i learn that three times the hard way! i had electrical problems in a room in my house blew out evry compute i put in here. been fixed since then but when i purchase this last computer i also purchase a back up drive for sure.

thanks again.

ps. u know great minds think alike lol

WOW, thanks for the quick replies. i really don't want to either. i like to wait at least a year, or they get all those bugs out of software, if u know what i mean. honestly, i've never been quick to change over systems.

ok another problem is, microsoft is telling me thru an update that my current software is not genuine. well i purchse this pc like this. i have an xp professional cd by dell, which i don't think will work, i also have a home premium version but has lost the key.

thanks guys for all ur help.

Sheila, is your PC a Dell? If it is the key should be printed on a label on the PC.

no jay, not the one i'm speaking of. the disc belongs to another computer that i have which is a dell.

thanks all, MY MAIN ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED! THANKS TO FIVE "SUPERMAN" STAR.

thanks to u too dakota, u solve one of my other issues. thanks so much u guys.

love ya and MERRY CHRISTMAS!