Sign in to follow this  
pitkin2020

My First Van

well i spent all day sunday doing my first van, really too cold (6 degrees C there abouts), but i finished it.  The vans owner is very pleased with it, i would say im about 75% pleased with it, i need to definetly redo 2 pieces on each of the front wings, ("FREE QUOTES") part,

SPM_A0011.jpg

SPM_A0013.jpg

SPM_A0009.jpg

Most of it ok i do have a few creases that i couldnt get out, i tried to do it wet app, very light misting but the vinyl just wouldn't stick so went to dry app instead.

now for the bit i need to redo, any any advice is greatly appreciated, i just cant not bend the vinyl over the curve without some serious creases, the curves goes in two directions, if it was jsut one it would be fine (hope that made sense)

SPM_A0010.jpg

Any critiscism good or bad will be gratfeully received opinions please, this wasn't a paid job other than the cost of vinyl this was more practice on a friends van lol

EDIT Soz for small pics camera settings were incorrect but i think you get the jist

Use a Heat gun or hair dryer while apply that curve bit and you'll smooth it right over it. It takes time and patience to do it. A little heat, a little squeegee, repeat. If it's good cast vinyl it will flow right over it , if it's cheap calendared vinyl it will take a lot more work.

nICE WORK btw

kEVIN

it was cold i was froze to the core after lol, i did heat the panels up a little so they were warm before applying (Not hot) just warm.The vnyl i am using is calendered vinyl, cheap stuff as its just for practice but i am starting think i should have used a higher class cast vinyl for this job.  I will probably redo the whole lot again in 6 months when the weather gets warmer and try with a cast vinyl

It was good practice though and took me a lot longer than i thought it would

well i got calle out to the van today as the rear panel has started to peel away, typically it was the panel (the only one i did wet), anyway i squeezed the water from the rain out of it and with a little heat tried to stick it back down, kept squeezing every last drop of water out of it, it looked good like it had taken, but it hadn't i just felt on dege to see if had stuck and the whole corner lifted again, the adhesive on the vinyl is non existant, so i guess i will just replace the whole again.

For future reference is there a proper way to fix such problems??

John,

Thanks for a great video.  I am about to re-letter my own work van for the new sign biz and have been doing everything primarily dry. It is TOO COLD to attempt that and will use your technique to make this work. Also great info on the use of mid tack for wet install.  Always use high tack for everything and it is a pain.

Lots of excellent info - I learned alot! ;D