Sign in to follow this  
INFLATE CO

refurb copam 2500 working this morning and now powers down instantly

HELP. I JUST RECEVIED MY REFURBISHED COPAM 2500 AND IT WORKED FINE THIS MORNING AND I DID A TEST CUT. NOW, IT POWERS ON, MAKES A CLICK SOUND AND THEN THE POWER SLOWLY DRAINS OUT OF IT.

I JUST SENT BACK A REFINE MH871 BECUASE IT COULDN'T DO THE SIZE OF LETTERING I NEEDED, SO I BOUGHT THIS. I PAID TO HAVE IT EXPRESSED TO MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME BUT IT WAS SENT GROUND.

NOW IT APPEARS TO HAVE A SHORT OR BAD BOARD.

WHAT CAN I DO? I SUBMITTED A SUPPORT TICKET. NO REPLY YET. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.  I HAVE ANGRY CLIENTS BECUASE IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS AND STILL NOT CUTTING.

RICK

nobody working at USC on the weekend. Hopefully, you will be taken care of fast Monday morning. I'd ask for a refund on the shipping if you paid for express and got ground.

Rick I am working this weekend... I can help you, sorry about this! We personally work on those refurbs so for you to get a problem child I must apologize. So does it do this power drain slowly like this every time you turn it on or does it just not turn on anymore?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to vote in the VectorFest - http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,23925.0.html

So is it shutting down after you turn it on, or when you try to make a cut? Make sure all your outlets in your house are 20amp outlets and not 15a. Sometimes over loading them will cause them blow.

It would help to tell us how you are connecting the machine to the wall, whether your using a surge protector, psu, etc.

Also try not to type in all caps, it's hard to read.

Hopefully Brandon will take care of you. I should have said "nobody usually works at USC on weekends"

:(

Brandon, was monitoring the support forum and he contacted me. He was on the phone with me for over an hour and is overnighting the parts I need to fix this here. I gotta say, I am impressives as heck with their customer service thanks to Brandon.

My business keeps me working 7 days a week and to find a company/person also working on the weekend and so helpful, was a real pleasant surprise. That is why I trust and stay with this company. These forums are awesome. I was really thinking I was screwed until Monday, but now I can relax and enjoy the rest of my weekend knowing this is getting handled!!! Kudos to all that replied and especially Brandon!!!

Rick

Brandon,

I took it apart early this morning and it is DEFINATELY the power supply. There is a melted resistor between two tall cylinders on the back. It leaked out something and even the bottom of the board below it shows the heat damage.

I am thinking send two power supplies and no mother board if you have time to make that change. That way, if the repair works, but the cause is external (from my computer or home), then I'll have a second one to install just to save time and be extra safe.

Rick

Brandon, shouldn't the fuse have blown first?  I mean there is some serious melting on that area I mentioned. Seems to me the fuse should have blown instead.  I think I'd like to splice in a small fuse on the power line before I do this. What fuse size do you recommend to be safe. That way if something goes wrong, I can just open the front panel and change the fuse in a fuse holder. If you have a fuse hold with wires out of each side, please send also.

I want to do this right the first time so this doesn't happen again.  I am still uneasy about this unit after this happened.

Rick

my first pcut blew a capacitor after  being powered on for 1/2 hr. . .took out motherboard and display. ended up sending it back and getting a replacement that worked great for a year till I upgraded. doubt it is your house or computer but probably a reversed electrolytic capacitor from the factory!

Brandon, shouldn't the fuse have blown first?  I mean there is some serious melting on that area I mentioned. Seems to me the fuse should have blown instead.  I think I'd like to splice in a small fuse on the power line before I do this. What fuse size do you recommend to be safe. That way if something goes wrong, I can just open the front panel and change the fuse in a fuse holder. If you have a fuse hold with wires out of each side, please send also.

I want to do this right the first time so this doesn't happen again.  I am still uneasy about this unit after this happened.

Rick

You should PM Brandon,  in case he doesn't check out the forum. 

Rick

You should PM Brandon,  in case he doesn't check out the forum. 

I agree...yesterday was an anomaly. Thanksgiving comes but once a year. PM Brandon. and keep doing it til you hear back.

Thanks Guys! Yes, he is already sending  o/nite on Monday a powersupply board and I asked him to included a motherboard to be safe, but now it seems like I should just get both to be safe.

The capacitor is completely melted. What was strange was that the power supply on my XP had failed just before this happened, so I swapped out a power supply from another computer, got the computer working again and then plugged in the USB to the Copam.  The machine that had the power supply fail was 4 years old so that didn't really surprise me, but I can't help but notice the fact that I had two power supplies fail within an hour of each other.

My home office has a 4 station network, multiple hunt group Vonage phone systems and a couple printers. It's a pretty pro set up and in years here I never had a problem with power, but I was suspecting a power surge, but I am using high quality GE surge protectors that should have blocked any excessive surge.

Just don't know. Have the unit completely apart awaiting new board for power. Mother board looked fine and inspection of all wiring within sight is good. 

Man that capacitor / resistor just totally melted.  But they say if a electrical board is bad, it fails fast.

Rick