mr300s

Any Tips or Tricks would be welcome

Will be getting my first heat press ever.  More of a hobby than business for now.  I think a lot of relatives maybe getting shirts for Christmas LOL.

I have watched as many videos as I could, read as many posts as I could, I ordered my Teflon pad, the T-Square and the Logo thing any thing else that will make life easier??

Any good videos I may have missed?

Are you getting a 16x20?  I started with a small press (9x12) and cannot believe I ever worked on that!!  I LOVE my 16x20 press!!

Yes 16x20

heatpress.jpg

Biggest advise and you will forget it several times  MIRROR you cuts!

Ha!  I cannot tell you how many times I forget to mirror my cuts or un-mirror them when I'm doing regular vinyl. 

I can't believe I still do it - Fivestar and firemalt told me early on I would and I didn't believe them . . . .I am forever cursed to do it for not believing

+1 on the mirroring.  I put a post-it note on my cutter that says "MIRROR SHIRT VINYL!!!", so I look at it whenever I am loading vinyl, shirt or otherwise.  I don't think I have forgot since then.

Always pre-heat the shirt to remove moisture.

If you are doing plastisol transfers, always preheat the platen for about 30 secs at least by locking the press down with no garment inside.

Save some pieces of backer paper to cover areas if you need to re-press something.

Attach the application temp/time guide to your press.

Set the press up in a good area with table-space to the left for blanks, and table-space to the right for finished pieces to allow for a good workflow.

Those are all I can think of now.  Good luck and have fun!

Guest fivestar

I still forget to mirror sometimes.......Gets expensive.  :huh:;D:huh:

+1 on the mirroring.  I put a post-it note on my cutter that says "MIRROR SHIRT VINYL!!!", so I look at it whenever I am loading vinyl, shirt or otherwise.  I don't think I have forgot since then.

Always pre-heat the shirt to remove moisture.

If you are doing plastisol transfers, always preheat the platen for about 30 secs at least by locking the press down with no garment inside.

Save some pieces of backer paper to cover areas if you need to re-press something.

Attach the application temp/time guide to your press.

Set the press up in a good area with table-space to the left for blanks, and table-space to the right for finished pieces to allow for a good workflow.

Those are all I can think of now.  Good luck and have fun!

great info thanks

The mirroring part has to be learned the hard way  :huh: ... I am convinced that is the only way anybody will ever retain it . For me it was using the last peice of heat transfer vinyl for a decal I really wanted to get done , then realizing i had forgotten to mirror . ERRRRR !  That was not the 1rst time & won't be the last .. but the frustration & the sore neck I got from shaking my head at myself reminds me now ( that & a small decal on the moniter ) .  ;D

The mirroring part has to be learned the hard way  :thumbsup: ... I am convinced that is the only way anybody will ever retain it . For me it was using the last peice of heat transfer vinyl for a decal I really wanted to get done , then realizing i had forgotten to mirror . ERRRRR !  That was not the 1rst time & won't be the last .. but the frustration & the sore neck I got from shaking my head at myself reminds me now ( that & a small decal on the moniter ) .  ;D

It took two for me. One time wasting my last piece of eco-film not mirrored on a job I said I would have done the next day. Then one time being so proud that I remembered to mirror and completed successfully, then loaded the cutter with shinerite and started cutting vinyl for an eight foot banner, left to grab a drink still feeling good about remembering to mirror the previous job, only to have that good feeling shattering as I went to weed 8 ft of shinerite when I realized I didn't turn off the mirroring feature! AARRGHHH! Now I remember!

Yep , I understand that ! A buddy was saying sarcastically " WHY do I have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way :thumbsup:? "  . I told him that is the only way you really learn & remember things  ;D

I put the note on ALL MY ROLLS of heat press vinyl ........ If I pick it up, load it on the cutter and still cut it wrong,,, I deserve the idiot award  :thumbsup:

Its the same in screen printing. Forgetting to put a shirt on the pallet before you print, then you print the pallet. I am a service tech, I install and repair screen print equip. I tell all customers " I can tell you 100 times how not print a pallet, but until you do it a few times, you wont remember."

Here's a tip for the guys that forget to mirror their graphic:  Just turn the shirt Inside Out LOL.

Joe

yes mirror and check spelling...lol..personal experience :( Also I like to press everything twice after I peel the transfer tape I like to press again with the teflon sheet to make sure its really set into the fabrics.