Sign in to follow this  
727pilot

Signcut not that stable in Snow Leopard

I have been using Signcut for a number of years.  It is always stable as a rock, to the point where I have kind of not thought much about the program. It's just there when I need it! 

Now I have Snow Leopard and I am having strange and wonderful problems.

Productivity Pro will not load a file.  It just crashes.  I have tried files from CS4 and Inkscape with no luck.

SC2 will load up and cut but may (Or may not) go crazy during the cut.  If it cuts it does well.

Apple says that Snow Leopard is the future of the operating system.  If that is the case let us hope that Signcut gets re-worded ASAP.

Is anyone else having problems? 

We are currently working on a certified snow leopard version but as of today we do not have a firm release date. Unfortunately early adapters tyo operating system upgrades often have a few problems. Once we have a snow leopard upgrade we will announce it and notify all of our Mac customers. Because of the way apple does their OS releases it is impossible to work on the upgrade until then OS has been released because the pre release canidates are often changed dramatically in the final release.

Sorry for any inconvenience but for now we recommend either rolling back to Leopard or using a different machine for cutting.

Kimon

As soon as you have something let me know and I will be glad to BETA test it for you.  I have had some more time to play with the system now and found out that at some point in each cut it will put the knife down and trigger one axis to infinity.

That means Sign Cut is pretty unuseable in Snow Leoard.

I have taken the same files over to a PC and they do cut, but interestingly when first imported they are mirror images.

Unfortunately without looking at your settings and file it is tough to determine your problem with mirror images but more than likely it is a setting that was changed. Signcut does not just randomly interpret files. We would be happy to look further into that problem should you continue to have trouble.

As far as Snow Leopard is concerned I have a test machine running 10.6, Signcut Pro 1.04 and it works fine. I am in the process of trying to duplicate your problems and we are working on narrowing down the issue so you may use snow leopard.

I hope to have a version for testing this evening.

Hi Kimon, I sent you an email last week asking about Snow Leopard/Signcut issues. I downloaded and installed the Signcut trial about two weeks ago, but due to    the instabilities, I was unable to fully evaluate it. When you have the issues sorted out would I be able to get a new trial period to test it? I would also be wiling to do some beta testing if necessary. I've tried several different cutter/printer programs over the last month, and your program looks like it would meet my needs the best- if you can get it working on Snow Leopard!

I too have downloaded the trial copy but haven't messed with it much yet. I am considering going to a new iMac and would need to find a cutting software. Please be sure to post when you have it fairly stable with Snow Leopard.

Hello all,

I have had the crashing issues with SignCut and Snow Leopard, too. Sometimes it works fine, other times it just keeps crashing over and over. The latest build seems to be a little better with the crashing.

The only thing that I have found to minimize the crashing is to just restart my computer, not open any other programs except Illustrator and SignCut.

I am considering installing XP and running a PC version of the software with boot camp. Wonder if that would work?

I wouldn't blame SignCut folks for the problems. Snow Leopard was a bump, just like there was from Tiger to Leopard. There will be issues. Think of all the poor PC folks that didn't go from XP to Vista and now have to try to get Windows 7 into their machines.

From what I have used of the new SignCut I like so far! I think they have been pretty fair with allowing us X2 users to upgrade without charging us!

Quote "I wouldn't blame SignCut folks for the problems. Snow Leopard was a bump, just like there was from Tiger to Leopard. There will be issues"

I think they have to accept some responsibility, Apple (and Microsoft for that matter) releases Developer builds of new operating systems just precisely so that these "issues" don't occur. Many third-party software companies seem to prefer to hide their heads in the sand and hope that the new operating system doesn't break anything in their code, rather then actively testing; perhaps figuring there's no point in fixing something that hasn't broke yet. Then when the complaints start coming in they try to rush out a patch or quick fix. This is a good reason to avoid adopting the "Newest-Latest-Greatest O.S." as soon as it's released, especially if you depend on your computer for making a living! In this case I hope Signcut gets their problems resolved, because they definitely have the best affordable cutting software for Mac (or PC) around.

I notice Kimon has been absent from this forum for quite a while, hopefully he's burning the midnight oil testing a patched version right now. Kimon- if you're out there, how about an update on your progress?

The fact of the matter is... SignCutPro is great software and we are on the verge of an update that will fix all of these issues. We need to be patient and wait. SignCut is providing me daily updates and they are very close. Apple did not make any of this very easy for them. I know that some of these issues are long standing but they have promised to resolve all issues.

Look here for updates!

If you want to create a trouble ticket on http://support.uscutter.com

-Contact Info (phone & e-mail)

-SignCut License

-Cutter Make and Model

-Operating System & Version

If you submit all of that with your error code screenshot I will make sure your problem is addressed by SignCut support and or if there is anything we can do for you. There are options and if we can tread water for a couple weeks I know we will have some kind of fix or a solid update.

If you want to create a trouble ticket on http://support.uscutter.com

-Contact Info (phone & e-mail)

-SignCut License

-Cutter Make and Model

-Operating System & Version

If you submit all of that with your error code screenshot I will make sure your problem is addressed by SignCut support and or if there is anything we can do for you. There are options and if we can tread water for a couple weeks I know we will have some kind of fix or a solid update.

My problems seem to be hit or miss...sometimes it works fine; other times it just shuts down when I start it. So far I have learned that it seems to crash less when I restart my computer and just go right to the cutting software. I appreciate all of your assistance with this! Thanks!

New version 1.07 has been released to be compliant with Snow Leopard, this release also has an improved handling of eps parsing is compliant with the newest release of inkscape .47 and provided poncing support for cutting perforated lines useful for pounce patterns or hoppy cutters doing scrap booking.

New version 1.07 has been released to be compliant with Snow Leopard, this release also has an improved handling of eps parsing is compliant with the newest release of inkscape .47 and provided poncing support for cutting perforated lines useful for pounce patterns or hoppy cutters doing scrap booking.

says you.

i updated everything, did the change over to to productivity pro, changed the cs4 plugin, and i'm still down.

i can occasionally get the 'read cutter' button to work, but i've not been able to cut for months.  i've scoured the boards for help on it, but the best i can get is that some people have gotten it to work but no one (that i've found) has posted the settings that made it work for them.

im on snowleopard

laserpointer 24

signcut productivity pro 1.07

illustrator cs4

cutter settings:

/dev/cu.usbserial-0000201a

baud: 9600

parity: non

databits: 8

stopbits: 1

handshke: software

checked RTS/DTR

any help out there?  please?  someone?

thanks

mx

I put this answer on your other post also

I do not have a Mac or the cutter or the Signcut,  but from  reading numeous threads on here,  people with Macs are working alot better with a USB to keyspan adapter.  It has been recommeded numerous times on the forum,  just do a search for keyspan adapter and read what other people say about it. 

From the drivers he has set in the output device, I assume he is already using a keyspan adapter. I would test at this point on a different machine using both the regular adapter for usb and the keyspan, trying to narrow down the problem.

His settings are correct, his software is correct but he is still having a communication problem. Testing on another Computer will tell us is it is the computer or possibly the adapter or possible the plotter itself.

I have his exact computer setup, adapter software and plotter her in the plotter lab and it works fine 100% of the time. If this is a software problem we would be thrilled to know it and fix it. You will all notice the one thing we try and do in continually update our software to maximize compatibility.