Sign in to follow this  
MaderDesign

Big Squeegee and Laminate

I'm going to be purchasing the Big Squeegee within the day and wondering what type of Laminate can be used with the Big Squeegee? I'm looking to laminate my layered vinyl, but also have a high tack backing to stick to plastic. I'd prefer a thick laminate over a thin.

3m makes a  good laminate. They were offering free sample rolls but today the search feature isn't workiong for me on the forums. No matter what I type, I get zero results. Maybe you can find the post.

OK here it is..just kept scrolling til I found it:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,15154.0/topicseen.html

What they sent me was 5 yards, 54" wide... and there were 4 or 5 of them , different.

the link in the post might be dead but here is a link:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Graphics/Scotchprint/Prod-Info/RequestSamples/

be sure and go for the rolls not the 8x10.

I talked to Mader last night about the Big Squeegee... I think it is a great product! We have demo models here at US Cutter and the plan is to carry it at some point. Hey for less then $50 you can basically laminate anything!

We have the Big Squeegee.  All I can say is LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!  We use a brand called Solvex from fellers.  It is a calendered overlaminate with a UV guard.  It seems to work pretty well.  We will also use the 3M 2 mil. version if we need an overlam with workability.  Hope this helps.

I use the BS everyday. I use alot of oracal 210 laminate. I have some 3m stuff that conforms really well and its thin. For the price check out oracals 200 or 210 laminate. Good stuff...

And the BS, you wil be glad you did...One of the best tools in the shop, if not the best

Guest fivestar

I use the BS everyday. I use alot of oracal 210 laminate. I have some 3m stuff that conforms really well and its thin. For the price check out oracals 200 or 210 laminate. Good stuff...

And the BS, you wil be glad you did...One of the best tools in the shop, if not the best

Ummmmmm.........you've got a Roland VP-540 so the BS is not the "best" tool you got.  :thumbsup:;D ;D maybe a close 2nd.  BTW, I used the BS with James one day and man it is awesome.  I am ordering one very very very soon, once I get my table built.

Oh, James where's my parts list on the take up reel?  ;D ;D ;D

Thicker does not mean better in this type of thing. The wrap laminate is only about half the thickness or the cheap laminate... The longest lasting laminate out there from oracal would be the 290 i think

290 is a 2 mil 4 year lam  price for a 30"roll $278.99

210 ia a 2.5 mil 2 year lam price for a 30" roll 119.99

Here is a link to back it up

http://www.signsupply.com/Media/Oracal/Oracal_Laminates_Index.asp

Just thought of this. if you want a thick laminate. look up CONVEX laminate. its like 6-10 mil i think. For dirbike/atv graphics

Thicker doesn't always last longer, but it takes a beating better. Specially rocks, dirt, etc. Will the Big Squeegee work with the convect laminate?

I may just go with the 210 and if it doesn't hold up switch to Convex.

Just seen your from Ohio James, used to live in Dublin up until April of this year and moved back to Portsmouth.

Dublin....I work in grandview, im in dublin everyday... As for the laminate. I use 210 alot..pretty good stuff. And yes the BS will work with either one...How big of the BS were you going to get?

I'm gonna go with the 26" for smaller jobs and then get a larger one for bigger jobs.

On HH signs it says Not recommended for use with Origard 210 or 290. Why is this?

I lived by the Ohio State Airport on Sawmill.

HH signs? sorry i dont know why they said that, nor i dont know where it is. i googled it...you have a pm also

One thing you might want to keep in mind when selecting your laminate is that you are going to be laminating multiple layer vinyl.  The vinyl layers are going to stack up, and with a thicker laminate, leave air gaps where the vinyl meets the next layer or the substrate, no matter how hard you press it down in some cases.  You may be able to get rid of some of the gaps by applying with a heat gun or propane torch, however.

I know you are looking for maximum durability, but laminates are designed for flat, digitally printed vinyl, especially the thicker ones.  If it was me, I would test with several different lams before I purchased a big roll.

Bought the Big Squeegee. Gonna test some Oracal 651 transparent, Oraguard, and 3M and I'll let you guys know what works the best.

BannerJohn, awesome looking out for requesting free samples! Def a huge help.

Also, I contacted 3M and they gave me the numbers of #8671 and #8672. They are both laminates and he said would hold up the best. #8672 is like 8 mil thick! and #8671 is like 12 mil thick. I chose to have a sample of 8672 since it's not as thick as well as the 8650 which seems like a better choice, it's for overlaminating vinyl and is used on cars, buses, etc. So hopefully I can get some results with this thing.

Oh, James where's my parts list on the take up reel?  :thumbsup:;D ;D

Here you go. Hope you can understand the pic manual that i spent many nights working on...

post-1250-12986545656252_thumb.jpg

post-1250-12986545656545_thumb.jpg

post-1250-12986545656972_thumb.jpg

post-1250-12986545667971_thumb.jpg

post-1250-12986545668186_thumb.jpg

post-1250-12986545668485_thumb.jpg

Thicker does not mean better in this type of thing. The wrap laminate is only about half the thickness or the cheap laminate... The longest lasting laminate out there from oracal would be the 290 i think

290 is a 2 mil 4 year lam  price for a 30"roll $278.99

210 ia a 2.5 mil 2 year lam price for a 30" roll 119.99

Here is a link to back it up

http://www.signsupply.com/Media/Oracal/Oracal_Laminates_Index.asp

290 is cast, 210 calendered.  when layering don't mix because they shrink at different rates and different amounts.

I'm gonna go with the 26" for smaller jobs and then get a larger one for bigger jobs.

On HH signs it says Not recommended for use with Origard 210 or 290. Why is this?

I lived by the Ohio State Airport on Sawmill.

oracal's laminates have a thin backing paper that can make laminating with a big squeegee difficult. works best with two people for large pieces.

Building your own big squeegee isn't hard to do and is a lot cheaper.

I talked to Mader last night about the Big Squeegee... I think it is a great product! We have demo models here at US Cutter and the plan is to carry it at some point. Hey for less then $50 you can basically laminate anything!

the Big Squeegee website is already listing you as a distributor. BUT I can't find it on the web site. Am I looking in the wrong place?

John