MattS

Wet Application

When doing a wet application for vinyl.  Do you have to wait a while before you peel the backing off.  I will probably just use the water-soap method.  But didn't know how long before it get sticky enough before I can pull the backing off and take pieces of the vinyl off with it.

I made a big hours sign for a buddy's shop.  I have never installed anything this big and it is all just a bunch of lettering.  So I don't want to mess it up and have to make another one.

Matt

Guest sciondrgn

Im just using a mild soap/ water spray and it really depends on the temp and how much spray you use. I normally give it about 5min to set after im done setting it and running the squegee over it and its usually good to go.

Use real Application fluid, ive started with the whole soap water trick the money spent on app fluid will out weight the time and materiall you will waste.  also spraying over your work with app fluid after its applied will speed up app removal if its paper bashed like R tape.

I always put a bit of isopropyl alcohol in my application fluid... It seems to speed up the drying time a little bit...

Did that also and it worked well, but once i used app fluid ive been sold on it since 1999

Use real Application fluid, ive started with the whole soap water trick the money spent on app fluid will out weight the time and materiall you will waste.  also spraying over your work with app fluid after its applied will speed up app removal if its paper bashed like R tape.

I've used both the 'real' and my own version,and can't tell a bit of difference in any way. IN fact,when I went to the local sign supply place to buy my first whole gallon of the 'real' stuff,the guy who owned the place told me I was wasting my money,that I could make my own that was just as good. Which I do. $30 for a gallon of water (which is basically what the real stuff is) seemed a bit high to me.

But,I only run a full-time sign business and use about a gallon a week. And for the record...I've never wasted an inch of material. I made and sold over 500 banners in the last year,with not a single complaint,and many return customers. To sum up, Rapid Tac and the others are just mostly water and a giant rip-off for the price. If you go to some of the pro sign forums,you will find that most pros make their own.

Guest sciondrgn

Even with just using my spray I make I have not wasted any materials? I havent done as much as BannerJohn has mine is mostly hobby

no secret.Just the usual...I make 1 gal at a time...add about 3-5 small squirts of dishwashing liquid and about 1/4 cup of alcohol to the water...I sometimes add vanilla extract to make it smell good (saw this on a board somewhere). I know one old time sign guy who swears by this one: 3/4 gallon of water + 1/4 gallon of windshield wiper fluid. It works great but I like mine to be clear and this is a bit blue. I'll tell you a secret though...a lot of the stuff you buy pre-made is excatly the same thing...there is no special addative in it that makes it work better.All application fluid is meant to do is allow for working time,and replace what would be air with liquid. The alcohol just speeds up drying time.I worked for 27 years in the furniture refinishing trade, and there are a few chemicals that will speed up drying time (butyl acetate for one) and all of them will harm the vinyl.

But in the end,it's experience that counts and my experience says that the $30 a gallon stuff is a waste of money.

You find that a LOT of the stuff you buy is not worth the money (said with a grin) I was in the automotive field for may years and the only reason I bought Snap-on was because they came to me. If "El cheep-o wrenches" had a truck that came to me I would have gladly paid a lot less for my tools!!!

Thanks for sharing John. I'll have to go mix up a jug and start testing on the wifes car, and on the shop windows, and on the banner, and on the cat...  :D

Everyone have a great weekend -- I may be a little busy with the cat --- here kitty, kitty, kitty...