Sign in to follow this  
prettybird

Need help with a two color cut of a monogram

Hi, I am cutting a two color item for the first time.  It is a monogram with a large letter in one color and then a name and date going across it in another color.  When I click on cut, it comes up to the cut page only showing the large letter to be cut.  So I cut that out, now I am wondering how do I get the second part to show up so I can cut that out?  I had it put the registration marks on the first one, so how do I cut the second color out with registration marks so it will line up correctly for applying it over the first part?  Also,  I was wondering what you guys think about this:  I am mailing this to a customer, should I send it as two seperate parts for them to apply one piece and then apply the other piece themselves, or should I stick the two colors together and then put the transfer tape over the top and only send it as one piece?  Thanks for the help!!  I will try to attach a picture so you can see what I mean.

post-5111-12986545310974_thumb.jpg

post-5111-12986545321565_thumb.jpg

OK, I figured out how to get the second color to show up, the two colors show up over to the right side of the cut/plot screen so I clicked on the other color and now it shows up.  But I'm not sure how to get it to put the correct marks on there so I can line them up properly.  It is just putting marks at all four corners of each item right now, but I don't think that will help line them up together when they are applied to the wall.  What should I do to put the right kind of marks on there so they can easily be lined up?  Thanks

Add registration marks - I use stars above the graphic ant line them up with the bottom of the graphic still covered - or use a light table.  You would layer them before applying

Add registration marks - I use stars above the graphic ant line them up with the bottom of the graphic still covered - or use a light table.  You would layer them before applying

Do you mean you put the stars on yourself instead of having flexi put them on and cut them out?  I figured out that if I go under options and choose send all colors and then tell it to pause between colors, flexi aligns the squares up correctly.  For some reason though it cuts the squares into 4 triangles.  I don't know why it would do that. 

So you would stick the two colors together before sending it to the customer?  Is it harder for the customer to peel the backing off and then the transfer tape off when there are two colors layered without it trying to pull the two colors apart? 

Thanks

Do you mean you put the stars on yourself instead of having flexi put them on and cut them out?  I figured out that if I go under options and choose send all colors and then tell it to pause between colors, flexi aligns the squares up correctly.  For some reason though it cuts the squares into 4 triangles.  I don't know why it would do that. 

So you would stick the two colors together before sending it to the customer?  Is it harder for the customer to peel the backing off and then the transfer tape off when there are two colors layered without it trying to pull the two colors apart? 

Thanks

ok i did this very same thing for the past few day i.e - layering in flexi .      so

what i would do is add a star or box from the temples on the left hand side menu bar identically in the same spot on both colours and then match them up using a light source from below the images so they line up straight . what i also suggest is you cut away the backing paper from only this area . this will give you a better chance to line it up straight.

i would also layer the two colours together before sending it to the customer. if its done right there will be no chance of it separating.

if you get stuck go to youtube and put in layering vinyl . there are some great tuts on this . it amazing how it helped me and it will for you

OK, thanks for the input.  I will give it a try.  I have watched some of the videos on you tube.  They are very helpful.

The registration marks (square shape in your case) are cut into quarters so you can weed different quarters in each color -top/bottom in one and left/right in the other and have a more precise lineup when you reassemble the square.

-Mike

Guest Terry

I use a light table..... then you don't need reg marks, unless you are applying them directly on a vehicle, then you do need marks.

Sorry if I drift away of the theme, but I'm old school sign educated...in the video posted by Dakotagph...

what is the name of the clear application tape used in the video?...it can be used in regular vinyl?

I saw it can be used both sides of the application tape, shlod be cost-effective.

What's the name and for what is used for?, besides layering vynil?

Thanks.  The B is in the Brock Script font and the name part is in the Highlander font in case you wanted to know.  ;D