brentp76

Large images, diagonal line and image dropped

I have a 721 and when cutting large images it starts to cut just fine, when it gets about half way through it stops cutting the image and cuts a diagonal line through the uncut section, it sometimes will cut the beginning, and end of a text with the middle dropped, or some portions of the image dropped, with the dagonal line. It appears that maybe it cannot handle the amount of cuts for a complicated image and the buffer memory craps out.. I am using the USB port and am wondering if the fix I have seen on another thread is for this problem as well. HELP!??!!?!?

I also have the same exact problem useing a mh-1351.  Useing cocut or sign blazer, usb or serial connection.  I have tried them both.  But I do not have the problem with the same file with my summa.  I'm going to order the 4mb chip and try that.  I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.  Summa 16mb, mh-1351 1mb

OK... I just purchased a LaserPoint.  I generated 10" letters, the word was quite long (about 7 feet) and it cut beautifully...!!!  I generated a second word and it cut a line thru the whole  word the long way... and didn't finish cutting my last letter before it locked up.  Couldn't cancel out of it...  had to unplug the usb cable.  Tried again & again...  this time it got worse..  didn't even cut some letters before it locked up.  The image on the screen shows dotted lines that appear to be the cutter path.  Normal??  I have tried re-booting both the cutter & computer,

I am running XP on an HP laptop.  I too have no serial port.  I am using a usb port.  I have now wasted about 1/4th of a roll of vinyl..  very frustrating.  I have cut a couple of other images and they seem to cut just fine.  I have a feeling I am going to be told to try a different port (which I have) or a different cable or re-load the software.  With this many people having the same issues it appears there is some trouble with the software since I see people using this software on different models of cutters.  I would try and load this on my desktop.. but I have already burned the activation code and the company said they would not give me another one..  nice...    Anyone fix their problem?? HELP Me PLEASE...!!!!

I'm guessing the software that you're talking about is Sign Blazer Elements?

I had a small issue of SBE locking-up, or putting slash cuts on some of my images. The problem was fixed when I uninstalled/reinstalled SBE, and made sure that I downloaded the latest patch/update. That seemed to fix the locking-up issue as well as a 'cancel' that would cause another lock-up in SBE.

I would encourage your to post your issue to the Sign Blazer board (http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?board=41.0) on this forum and/or post your issues on the Sign Blazer forum too (http://www.signblazer.net/forum/index.php).

Maybe if you PM Bruce from Sign Blazer, he can help out with getting your activation/license moved so that you can install it on a completely different computer.

No...  but I had a feeling "try another usb cable" was coming.  Are you finding that many usb cables defective?

The software is SBE ver 6.0.17  Have gone to Colorchromefirst.com and downloading 6.0.21.  It appears this update is for the Laserpoint specifically.  I have uninstalled & re-installed SBE and hope now I haven't messed up which port I have been using.  Also, each time I turned off my machine, I have to re-specify which port I was using in SBE anyway.  I have used pen plotters (Rolands, HP's, Iolines, with mulitiple pens!!!) since 1979 and never had so much trouble.  You would think by this time, the code would be pretty well tuned in.  I've never had a plotter draw lines randomly across my work!!...

OK now I downloaded a file named signblazer6.iso.  Now what do I do with this file???  I looked on my drive for a file with the same name to see if it replaces something.  I also tried to send a form to the SBE people thru their website, that doesn't work...  got an error message.  grrrrr

I really appreciate everyones help with this issue.

No...  but I had a feeling "try another usb cable" was coming.  Are you finding that many usb cables defective?

The software is SBE ver 6.0.17  Have gone to Colorchromefirst.com and downloading 6.0.21.  It appears this update is for the Laserpoint specifically.  I have uninstalled & re-installed SBE and hope now I haven't messed up which port I have been using.  Also, each time I turned off my machine, I have to re-specify which port I was using in SBE anyway.  I have used pen plotters (Rolands, HP's, Iolines, with mulitiple pens!!!) since 1979 and never had so much trouble.  You would think by this time, the code would be pretty well tuned in.  I've never had a plotter draw lines randomly across my work!!...

OK now I downloaded a file named signblazer6.iso.  Now what do I do with this file???  I looked on my drive for a file with the same name to see if it replaces something.  I also tried to send a form to the SBE people thru their website, that doesn't work...  got an error message.  grrrrr

I really appreciate everyones help with this issue.

Not sure about the SignBlazer upgrade, but the SignBlazer guys will assist you with that. The USB cable is the easiest and quickest thing to check, and I have seen several cases where the cable is the culprit. If not, it could be a hardware failure, but we need to go in order to make sure we do not replace parts that do not need replacing.

I have another post here but now starting to get desperate...  I too am having issues with not completing images and random lines cut thru the image.  I have tried everything from unplugging the cutter, changing the usb cable, installing 2 different updates, re-booting my computer, re-installing the software (whcih seems to work btw)..   I have come to the comclusion that when I cut this image which is about 6 or 7 feet long, the cutter does not completely cut my image and cuts random lines down the image.  I scaled the image down and re-cut..  no problem.  Scaled it back up and problems!!!!  So the last time I cut this image I re-installed the software and it seemed to cut it ok...  Seems a bit excessive to have to re-install the software each time you need to cut a large image.  I have shut both machines down after cutting one image, tun them both back on and and trying to cut a second...  nope..  doesn't work.  I am using an HP laptop, XP, with a usb cable (remember I actually treid 2 different cable) and no other software open at the time.  I have installed 2 diff. updates that were suggested by USCutters.  The latest is in another post.  I am getting desperate now.. I have some images I NEED to get done and have burned thru 1/2 roll of vinyl...

thanks

p.s.  remember what I said about re-loading the software?  Forget it...  Now it doesn't even work when I do that..  Both SBE and cutter lock up..  can't get out of SBE and get take cutter offline...    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 Words...  SERIAL PORT  I fought and fought the idea of using a serial port but after 1/2 roll of vinyl wasted I tried my desktop computer that has a serial port (I have no serial port on my laptop as a alot of you don't either) and it worked flawlessly.  Evidently they have not perfected the USB interface as of yet (for large images).  I did use the USB for some smaller images and it seemed to work just great.  But if you are going to generate some large images,somehwere in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 feet or longer), I suggest you use a serial port.  Any idea for those who do not have serial ports on their machines?  I would much rather use my laptop than my desktop due to limited space in my office.  I do have to say that I did cut 2 of my large images thru the USB port...  but will not use it until they get it squared away. 

Keep in mind I tried 2 USB cables, 2 SBE software bug fixes, different USB ports on my computer, different power outlets in my house, 3 different surge protectors, and a partdrige in a pear tree....

Thanks...

2 things quick to let you guys know:

1 - I just recieved my 4mb chip and it DID fix my problems.  I just sent a 30" x 48" image cut file and it acually cut it for the first time without the diag. line and dropping  half the image.  Same cables and file and driver I have been useing the whole time.  I really think the 1mb chip is not enough to hold some the files with large amounts of info like image cut.  Also it's a real easy install and for $12 it's worth the money if it saves you time and materials.

2 - USB, it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with it.  I would highly recomend the serial cable connection for a few reasons.  The most important being there is little or no signal lose no matter how long the cable is, USB loses signal very quikly when the cables get long.  Second, these cutters are not TRUE USB.  Yes, it's USB on the computer end and on the cutter end but, and this is a big but, there is a usb to serial converter on the cutter end.  Anybody that has a newer laptop without a serial port (belive me I've been there) and tried to use a usb to serial converter plug and drivers knows it's not a very reliable conection at all.  I even went out and found a Refurb Dell D600 laptop just for the serial connection.  And with 2 printers, 2 cutters and a laminator it's nice to use the cable length to your advantage and get the equipment away from the computer.

Over all I am still very impressed with this cutter.  I got mine from ebay (MH1351 brand new from US Cutter) and you could not beet the price.  Now with the 4mb chip I feel I can relie on the machine to do the work I send it.  Remember same computer, same file, same driver, same cables, same software.  I tried multiple times and it cut the diag line and dropped half the image.  The only difference is the 4mb chip instead of the 1mb chip.  Again it may not work for everyone or fix all your problems, but it worked for me and for $12 it's worth installing.  Hope this helps someone in the future.

Curt Amey

Amey Design Sign Graphics

I just sent a 30" x 48" image cut file   Mine were even longer at about 7 to 9 feet..  4 of them.  The 1st time I ran it, the cutter was awesome!  It worked perfectly..  all downhill from there unfortunately.  I have a Laserpoint and not sure if It is upgradable as far as RAM.  I will check it out after the weekend. 

Same cables and file and driver I have been useing the whole time.  I went as far as hooking up a new usb cable (4 footer) that I had laying around..  same results.  un-installing the whole software packages 3 or 4 times..  updating SBE the same number of times, blah blah blah..

USB, it seems like a lot of people are having trouble with it.  I would highly recomend the serial cable connection for a few reasons.  A BIG AMEN there.  I spent 4 days and 1/2 roll of vinyl de-bugging this !*^%$ thing.  I have totally abandoned the idea of using a usb cable.  I must admit for smaller images it appears to work fine, but for the size of the graphics I was cutting, no way.  I hooked up the serial and it was like magic!  It actually worked as soon as I clicked CUT!!  go figure!  Ya know I went thru the whole diff. cable, dragging blade, power strip change, even plugging it into a totally diff. circuit in my house, yada yada yada ...  The beauty of serial cables is unlike parallel and usb cables, you can pretty much make the cable any length!  (within reason)

Hope this helps someone in the future.  I'm sure it will and hope my input does the same.  These Laserpoints seem to be a fairly nice cutter also.  Funny thing is, I have looked all over this cutter and don't even see a model number!!

thanks

On my MH-1351 there is a decal on the leftside cap with all the info, model # etc.  I don't know if it would be there on yours.  These are a good bunch of machines, for the money you just can't beat them.  Sure you might have to work with them a little to get the bugs worked out, but everything has a learning curve.  I have a 24" Summa but it was getting old tileing bigger graphics so I got the 1351.  And if the laser point was out when I was buying I probably would have purchased that one.  I started out about 8 years ago with a roland stika and even back then it cost me around $700 for a 12" cutter.  If I had to do it all over again I would!

Hi there,

not sure if this will help but I noticed that my cutter would do the line of death across the image and offset cut if my computer went into standby mode while the plotter was cutting.  I prevented this by setting my computer power options so that the harddrive never goes into idle. Not sure if this is the solution to the problem but it seemed to stop the cross cutting and image offsetting (at least so far)....

These machines are great but they sure can send you nuts!

Geoff