Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Questions: Vinyl egress blockage, app tape.

Hi there,

I love my LP24. All my cuts have been flawless so far. One thing I noticed is that as as 24" vinyl roll feeds forward, it binds up on a small lip near the front of the cutter. The suction seems to guide it right into the lip and the vinyl bows up sometimes until the machine brings it back. Any fixes for this? I stood there with a piece of paper to guide it over the lip but would like not to have to do that.

I ruined two perfectly-weeded decals today with an application tape malfunction. I didn't have proper tension on the tape and it stuck too early. I saved two decals but lost two. Anyone got a recommendation for an application tape dispenser? I'd like something which can adjust to various sized rolls, with a clutch or brake so i can put some tension on it before cutting.

Also, how are you all cutting your vinyl once you're done with your cuts when it's still on the roll? I've been using scissors but they're not optimal and don't tend to make straight lines.

Thanks.

A) Pull the vinyl a little past the lip before you start to cut. You will waste a few inches of vinyl but you will not have that problem. The cost of vinyl is pennies so not that big of a loss.

:lol: Practice, Practice, Practice. You will ge better at it as time passes. I like to pull the amount of tape needed off of the roll and put it sticky side up on the table, then lay my cut vinyl down on top of it. I tend to have less problems applying the vinyl to the tape as opposed to applying the tape to the vinyl.

C) I use a razor blade. I actually use the lip as a guide and the slice right across. Usually works for a pretty straight line.

Put a piece of vinyl over the edge that catch the leading edge of the cutting vinyl.

Also over the ruler and do it front and rear.

Incase you use the ruler use transparant vinyl.

Paco

Great tips, thanks!!

Oh, I think you're right about the application tape. I actually did that on my first decal where I put the app-tape sticky-side up and I just stuck the decals on it. I'll stick with that method from now on.  :lol:

Good idea to put a strip of vinyl over the lip, I'll try it. I like the idea of cutting right on the cutter. I didn't want to cut into the cutter but I guess if I am careful it could work.

I have used MASK RITE from the very beginning and would be lost without it... there is no adjusting of anything for different rolls.  I have a 24" and a 30"  it is a little pricer, but works great.  can purchase from SIGNSUPPLY.com on EBAY  You can apply lengths as long as you want

post-3093-12986543009055_thumb.gif

post-3093-12986543019469_thumb.gif

Put a piece of vinyl over the edge that catch the leading edge of the cutting vinyl.

Also over the ruler and do it front and rear.

Incase you use the ruler use transparant vinyl.

Paco

+1  :lol:

Great advice for covering or avoiding that FREAKING ANNOYING LIP!!!! I am sure its there for some reason I am just not sure of what reason it can be of help besides a razor guide.

The lip is there for mounting of some flat extension tables that go in there, USC sells them.  Most people either put tape or vinyl over it.

I also roll the apptape out sticky side up and lay the vinyl down on it.  Squeegee from the center out all over twice, lightly the first time and then I flip it and squeegee it more firmly.  I don't really understand the advantage of apptape dispensers.

I use one of these:

BK353.jpg

for cutting the vinyl off.  I don't worry too much about cutting it perfectly straight.

If you have a Big Lots locally check out their tool section. I bought some Black & Decker power scissors for $9 there. They are great for cutting the vinyl off the roll and doing non detailed trims around decals.

Its rechargeable and fits nicely into your hand

For cutting vinyl on the cutter.  I feed the intended cut line to the edge of the machine and use it as a guide.  I then use a letter opener.  The kind with a razor blade inside.  Many businesses have them as giveaways.  I grab one whenver I can.  It gives me a straight line every time.  I then rezero and ready for my next cut. 

Still working the app tape issue.  I will give the sticky side up a try next time. 

+1 on MidWaste's Zippy Cutter.

I set my cutter to advance the vinyl 5" after it finishes cutting. On the PCut this puts it perfectly so I can run the zippy cutter down the groove at the bottom of the cutter. I did put a piece of tape over the groove to keep the vinyl from snagging but the zippy cutter goes far enough in the groove to keep it straight.

Jay