captonzoom

Problem with COPAM???

Riddle me this Batman?  I have 3 machines, 2 Refines (MH721 24" and 12" and a Copam 24".  The thing that bothers me is, when I try to cut something on the Copam with lots of "nodes"  the machine freaks out makes radom line cuts or does the diagonal 45 degree cut of death!!  This happens ALL of the time when using the Papyrus font.  This wastes ALOT OF VINYL!! If I cut an image with lots-o-nodes it does the same thing. 

Now, the kicker is, if I take the same file, and cut it on the Refine, IT CUTS PERFECTLY!!!!!  No problems, no mysterious lines, no continuous line of death that rolls all the vinyl out onto the floor, nothing. 

I was told by the US Cutter Techs that the file is propably corrupt. (Which is not true since it cuts on the refine machines A-OK) 

I see LOTS OF THREADS ON THIS SAME PROBLEM.  It is NOT THE FILES/FONTS that is causing the problem, its the machine!!!

So, my question is, why purchase the expensive Copam with 64megs of memory when it can't buffer/cut all those nodes?

Please make me understand my frustration.

Thanks guys!!

So, my question is, why purchase the expensive Copam with 64megs of memory when it can't buffer/cut all those nodes?

why,indeed?

What cutting software are you using?  I had the same issue on my Copam using SBE.  Once I started using FlexiStarter, the problem completely went away.

What cutting software are you using?  I had the same issue on my Copam using SBE.  Once I started using FlexiStarter, the problem completely went away.

I'm glad to hear that, any idea why though?  I normally have NO problems cutting with the Copam, but every once in a great while, she goes 'crazy' on certain files. 

Never figured out why it would do that on occasion with SBE either.  Sometimes it would work fine, then other times would go crazy.  Since switching to using FlexiStarter with my Copam, have not had a single one of those issues again.  With Flexistarter, the best driver I have found to use is the DGI OM-60 using my serial cable (my Copam is not one of those that had a USB port).  The Copam driver they included in my version of Flexi did not work correctly.  I emailed SAi about that back when I got Flexi and they said they would look into it (but never heard back or received an updated file).  But the DGI OM-60 driver works perfectly for me, so I didn't worry about it.

This is an issue... That can be properly troubleshot with the proper mix of configuration and cutting software! If this is still an issue we need to get resolved!

I know it is an issue.  Every Copam user has it.  Looks like the fix is either switch software or to a different machine, correct?

Yes this is still an issue, I just find it strange that it works on the cheap cutter and not the expensive cutter.  I have never wasted/lost as much vinyl on any other machine then I do with my Copam.  The trick is, never walk away from a Copam if you want it to cut properly. :thumbsup:

Guest round2racing

Looks like either solution is still an expensive one.

Buy a new cutter or buy new software, neither are cheap.

my question would be...if the Refine will do everything the Copam will do,why spend more money? I am still (after 2 years) waiting  for a reason to upgrade to a more expensive cutter. Haven't found one yet.

I upgraded to the Copam because it does a fantastic job at fine detail where the refine does not.

Your problem is definitely a software issue! I had a Refine, Redsail, now a Copam and a Graphtec FC8000-75. My problem was with Vinyl Master Pro 2.95v. Download the USCutter drive pack and use does drivers instead of Flexi drivers or default installed drivers. I have tried several drivers even though the Copam uses HPGL commands doesn't mean that all HPGL drivers are compatible. You will find that you lose certain function with different drivers. Make sure that your software ports and settings matches your Device Manager ports and settings. In the end of all my troubleshooting, I found that it was my software and some drivers did not have the functions or options for the software to execute those commands. The Copam is a good machine, I just wish it was a little more precise with small cutting. However, it will bring in the funds to buy a Graphtec!

I'm using the Copam CP-2500 on LPT1 on a Windows 2000 pro system (old and anemic kind of like me).  I run VMP 2.95 and use the newer spooler version 2.99 - it supports the CP-2500 - if you don't have the updated spooler it's worth getting.  I never tried the USB since I saw all the trouble stories posted on this forum.  With the LPT1 parallel printer cable setup mine has behaved perfectly so far --(over 2 years now)

-Mike

I use USB since what PC comes with a serial port anymore :thumbsup: I have all the latest Us Cutter drivers.  Even when using a usb to serial converter, it is still usb. 

USB may not play any part in your wild line problems - And I hated to read that it was a Copam only problem in your case.  I agree that newer computers mostly have only USB connections - and they are supposed to be foolproof and almost bulletproof - in practice I have seen post after post about random lines being cut - most of the users were hooking up with a serial cable - or a serial to USB converter and cable.  Using the parallel connector seems to work for me.  Several people have gotten an old computer (with LPT parallel ports) just to run their cutters.  Mine was $50 of so on eBay and I am happy with it.  Old computers are easy to get.

I will probably have to upgrade when and if a new version of VMP comes out (may require Windows 7 I hear) then I will be very interested in how you solve this problem - let us know what steps you take to solve your issue.

-Mike

Mike,

I put a ticket in with USCutter when I first received the Copam, no help.  They told me it was a corrupt file.  It was this past weekend when I realized that my old cutter could cut that font, so I gave it a try and it worked.  With the new PC's now, they only have usb and no serial and no printer ports.  I have vista (which i hate but i cant switch back to xp because not all of the drivers are available). 

It is just strang that the image works on the cheaper cutter with Sign Blazer Software but wont work on the expensive cutter with the Sign Blazer Software.

:(

I'm afraid I may have to switch to Flexi Starter like Cyber suggested just to get certain images to cut right..

Before you do that give Brandon Davis at USCutters a call - or have you already?

His number is 1-888-298-8143 x113 from his sig line in his post earlier in this topic.

I have never spoken to him, no problems on my end yet.  Hope he can put his finger on the problem and get it fixed for you.

-Mike

I also use USB for my Copam, and normally have NO problem.  Only twice in almost 2 years did I have a problem and it was that the file had been emailed so much and resaved, etc...that it was layered and gave the Copam a fit....other then those 2 times and trying to cut Zooms file, we've had no problems and continue to stand behind the Copam for dependability.

I agree with Mars, call Brandon!

I have the Copam 24" and Signblazer. I had the diagonal line problem, tried everything, finally fixed by going to parallel.  :(