Wendy T

How do I change the letter height if one letter within a word?

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and just figured out my cutter last night. Here's my question: I want to make the first letter in a word larger then the rest, how do I do that? For example I want to write the words "Friends and Family Gather Here" I would like to have the words Gather Here in call caps but have the G in gather and the last E in here quite a bit larger then the other letters so I can have the "friends and family" nestled down in the valley between the large letters. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Also, how do I underline a set of words?

I'm sure I'll be in the forum a lot. I'm not very computer savvy, but I'm trying!

Thank you for your help in advance!

Friends & Family

GATHER HERE

Can't Be Done!

But if I were to try...

I think this is what you want to cut out. Couple things to do. The G and E need to be plain text 34 pt The center letters ATHER HER should be Bold 20 point to keep the same text thickness

Friends and Family 12 point. To fit you can expand the text or change character spacing. use an & to reduce spacing

Change your leading between text lines or Cut each line separately to position closer together. You may have to adjust the Point size

Underlining text can be tricky. Try not to under line desenders like the y in family.

Best thing might be to draw a box the width of your line and position it before cutting.

NY resident, Bob

When you type the graphic,,, make the G and the E seperate, then you can node edit them,, ie instead of typing GATHER HERE,, type  G hit the select button, then select the text button again, type ATHER HER, hit the select again, select the text again, type the E. now the first G and the last E are seperate entities, so they can be node edited separate from the other letters.

Just went and tried it,, it will work.

Tom

Guest Terry

If using Illustrator... Type the entire word out as normal. Now go to type, create outlines, now choose your select tool you have two - use the one that says DIRECT SELECT TOOL, click on letter, now choose the other select tool. you can now pull or stretch the letter in any size. When you create outlines it changes the font to a image. It's the first step I use to design logos that have text, I may take the first letter like C and pull the bottom so it wraps half way under the entire word.

Terry

post-0-12986513025907_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986513050181_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for all your input everyone! I figured it out. I believe I'm going to cut the two sentences seperate so I can align them just the way I want them. You guys are great! But I still don't know how to underline a set of words. Can someone break it down step by step for me? Thank you again for all your help and your patience witha newbie :angry:

you don't actually underline,you draw a long thin rectangle underneath.

This is one example of how illustrator will solve your underline issue.

You should share with us what software package you are working in.

post-1491-12986513077811_thumb.jpg

post-1491-12986513100626_thumb.jpg

I think,since she just got her cutter and she posted this is the Signblazer forum,she's probably using Signblazer.

AI is nice( and expensive),but Signblazer is a full design software program as well as a cutting program. Most things can be done directly within it.

Thank you again. I do have Sign Blazer. In that case, how do I draw a rectangle and more importantly, how do I make it straight?

Thank you all for your input. I'm getting the hang of it but I'm sure I'll be in here asking questions quite often.

Wendy

I was able to change text height in SB last night.  I typed out a multiword title and highlighted the words I wanted to change while in text mode and changed the height of just those.  I didn't try to change one letter within a single word.

Was browsing this topic, and realized that nobody gave the simple answer ---

SELECT your text first.

On the TOOLBAR, there's an icon called TEXT-GRAP (you have to scroll to the right to see it)

Press that button, then click into the work area again (outside the text into any blank area) to DESELECT all your text, and NOW when you click back directly onto the letter you want to manipulate, it will be selected just by itself, and you can then play around with height, width, or proportional sizing.

• Like 1

NOTE: Once text has been converted to curves, you cannot edit it as text; the font and spelling are set.

• Like 1