Sign in to follow this  
Rob28x

Other places to sell stuff other then eBay and Amazon?

I was just wondering if anyone else sells stuff at other places. I know godaddy.com now has a marketplace, and I see stootsi is an up and coming site as well. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck selling at places other then fleabay and Amazon.

There are a million places to sell online. Do a search on Google for Auction Sites. I have a website that does ok in sales. Unfortunately Ebay is still the best place because of its popularity.

The biggest issue with Ebay is that people sell for way less than things are worth. I can sell Window perf locally for $100 with no problem but on Ebay I can only get about $60 for it because that is the price that everyone else sells for there. Locally I can sell 5x5 decals for 5 or 6 bucks each but on ebay, onle a couple dollars. It drives me nuts but there are so many people on there who are either making no profit at all on what they are selling or just do it for fun that it has ruined it for the guys who are trying to make a living.

The best way to make your sales is locally to businesses. They are willing to pay for quality work.

I agree.

I sell a niche item on ebay so I do ok and can set my prices to what I want. But the fee's are getting out of hand.

I am working on mostly local business, but online sales are play money for me.

bayshore  i agree 100%, funny how you can buy a cellphone case from china for a dollar something, and they ship it all the way from across the world to your front door - and still beat the price of any user in the US, id like to see the breakdown there..

fwiw.

bayshore  i agree 100%, funny how you can buy a cellphone case from china for a dollar something, and they ship it all the way from across the world to your front door - and still beat the price of any user in the US, id like to see the breakdown there..

fwiw.

That 10 cent profit the guy in China gets goes a lot farther there than it would here. They don't pay the middleman markup for Chinese products either.

What's the average cost to ebay to sell an item? Say a decal for a few bucks. How much do you owe Ebay?

Is it a percentage or a certain amount?

What's the average cost to ebay to sell an item? Say a decal for a few bucks. How much do you owe Ebay?

Is it a percentage or a certain amount?

9% of the first $25 - then 3% thereafter. Plus insertion fees, maybe .15 - $.50 + AND paypal fees, .35 PLUS 3%.

Hard to make money selling cheap items IMO

Wow that is rough. You think they would do a percentage or listing fee only not both.

And with how popular it got, maybe lowered the fees not make them higher. But theoretically auctions aren't made for little items anyways. Need more of a marketplace. Most us buy it now anyways.

On eBay you are competing with my 14 year old that gets the vinyl for free and uses dad's cutter. He does his orders after school and holidays. I don't give him an allowance, he gets it in vinyl, so he has to earn his own spending money.  ;D 

Wow that is rough. You think they would do a percentage or listing fee only not both.

And with how popular it got, maybe lowered the fees not make them higher. But theoretically auctions aren't made for little items anyways. Need more of a marketplace. Most us buy it now anyways.

ALSO WHAT IS NOT QUOTED HERE..on "BUY IT NOW" items  is the fact you can put as many quantities as you want on that ad, and the ad can run for 30 days. so if the price is .35c for your ad.. That's alot of advertising for 35c....  Also, if you are running an actual EBAY store,, the ad prices runs about 3c - 5c per ad, for unlimted quantites for a month.  but your final fee is a bit higher. You can run a lot of ads for 3c- 5c without breaking the bank...  and Power sellers can get up to a 20% discount off your final Ebay bill each month, just for giving great customer satisfaction.  That makes alot of difference.

I've been selling stuff on Etsy.com (it's a marketplace for handmade items).  I sell so many wedding-related shirts/personalized boyshorts --- and the feels are so much better than Ebay!!

"  and the feels are so much better than Ebay!! "  I'm bettin' she meant fees instead of feels  ;D

Yeah , That is what I was thinking along with " Might have to check Etsy.com out " with Beavis & Butthead  noises going off inside my head  ;D