Sign in to follow this  
lastfuse

HELP! Grease Pencil Remover

I'm doing a white banner with black vinyl. I tested the pencil on the back of the banner to make sure I wouldn't have any problems getting it off. I used the pencil to mark the placement of out the the HUGE letters. Once I applied the letter I went to remove the grease most of it came out but it seems to have stained a huge line down the center of the banner. I'v gotten a bit out with some Rapid Remover sprayed on a rag but most of the stain is still there. Any suggesting on how to get it out?

THANKS!

Nope Fire, alcohol doesn't work.  Just made the same mistake the other day.  Had an old grease pencil laying around from a recent tile job in our mud room so I thought I'd give it a try.  Big mistake.  I tried just about everything I had laying around except for acetone and laquer thinner (was afraid to hurt the banner with that stuff).  I got lucky as it was a banner for my mothers seniors group so I just flipped it over and used the other side.  You couldn't see the perfectly center red grease line down the back. :thumbsup:

Moto

The only thing I haven't tried is the lighter fluid.

I was able to get most of it off with the dish soap and some more rapid remover.

Luckily this was for some friends they just texted me and said they love it!

I know this is to late but here's a tip, even though I'm using the stabilo pencil - I take painters tape and place it where the mark is going to be and mark on the tape instead of the substrate. After I'm done I just pull the piece of tape off, no need to clean anything. It's a little extra work but....

a stabilo pencil IS a grease pencil. There are two kinds..wax and graphite. Both are refererred to as grease pencils,and the same method for removing will work for both. Essentially,anything that is petroleum based will work.

try to use an eyeliner instead, works as a great replacement for a grease pencil in a pinch; removes the same way too.

Did you try a mr clean eraser? There is nothing that those things wont take off??

I know this is to late but here's a tip, even though I'm using the stabilo pencil - I take painters tape and place it where the mark is going to be and mark on the tape instead of the substrate. After I'm done I just pull the piece of tape off, no need to clean anything. It's a little extra work but....

Great tip. I figured that out after I realized what was happening. Worked like a really well.