eddieb378

Cleaning a surface

I am having a lot of trouble getting my surfaces clean. I am using alcohol and paper towels to prep with. I still get trash behind the decal.

Does any one have a prep tip to help me with this . Thanks in advance.

Guest Schramm

I use a scrubby side of a squeege using a combo of rubbing alcohol (1 cup), Distilled water (1 cup) and White Vinager (5oz).

That solution will remove decal residue, dirt, greese, hand oils and much more but dont use it as an application fluid.  After I clean with that I use a lint free paper towel and straight rubbing alcohol.  Now keep in mind that you will want to wipe down the paper backing on the lettering prior to laying it on glass as that will transfer dirt and dust back onto the surface.

Good luck!

What is the least labor intense way of removing what is left over after removing vinyl decals ( metallic ) with a heat gun ?

What is the least labor intense way of removing what is left over after removing vinyl decals ( metallic ) with a heat gun ?

Sandblasting  ;D

I beleive the paper towel is my problem but i have never heard of a lent free paper towel but i will surely go look in a little bit. I just tried to decal my logo on my truck and it look bad. I do not wont my logo to look bad. I will mix your stuff and see if i can find a lent free paper towel and try again. Thanks

Sandblasting  B)

That does not surprise me considering your sense of humor  ;D  ;D What did your buddy say/do when you put the mj decal on his truck ? I thought I was bad , that is worse than what I could do  ;D .

I use Rapid Prep and always have a excellent clean surface. Been using it for almost 5 years now

What did your buddy say/do when you put the mj decal on his truck ? I thought I was bad , that is worse than what I could do  ;D .

He said nothing. He did however leave some very bad roadkill in the back of my truck  ;D

All in all, good fun.

Jon

What did your buddy say/do when you put the mj decal on his truck ? I thought I was bad , that is worse than what I could do  ;D .

He said nothing. He did however leave some very bad roadkill in the back of my truck  ;D

All in all, good fun.

Jon

Jon , I think your buddy still owes you  B)  I would rather have the roadkill !  ;D

Guest Schramm

Honestly sometimes I think people post without reading anything.  I gave you a solution below for removing the residue.  Why are you using a heat gun?

Honestly sometimes I think people post without reading anything.  I gave you a solution below for removing the residue.  Why are you using a heat gun?

read his post again. He used the heat gun to remove the decals. Not the residue

Is that an example of not reading posts  ? I was asking the whole membership , not just you . There " might " just be somebody who knows something more than using the solution you gave . I intend on trying your solution , but still welcome others advice . Please don't respond to any of my posts in red or any other color & I'll do the same for you , thank you very much .

Guest Schramm

Is that an example of not reading posts  ? I was asking the whole membership , not just you . There " might " just be somebody who knows something more than using the solution you gave . I intend on trying your solution , but still welcome others advice . Please don't respond to any of my posts in red or any other color & I'll do the same for you , thank you very much .

That is fine do whatever you want.  I do read posts by the way and from what I read the question was about removing the residue after using a heat gun to remove stickers or lettering.  I could care less if you try the solution but your tone sucks!  I posted it in red so you would see it and that is all!

By the way the whole membership did not respond and next time neither will I!

What you responded with was rude . I don't like rude & would rather not interact with those that are . I call bullshit on your reason for posting in red & your demeanor .

" By the way the whole membership did not respond and next time neither will I! "

promises ... promises

I would like any of the rest of the membership to respond ( well there is 1 other rude person I hope doesn't respond ) if they have any other tools , solutions or techniques to remove the left over of metallic vinyl easy . That is what I like about 99.9 % of the members here . not dramatic . I go to other forums for that crap .

Guest sciondrgn

Why do I see ants crawling around in a figure 8 under some members names?

It's an Animated Gif that they are using as there avatar.. Like mine is of my car theirs is an animated buggy ;D

Why do I see ants crawling around in a figure 8 under some members names?

HI Marie ,

;D  I seen that on another forum & did a search.. It is hilarious isn't it . How is Yankee doing ?

Thanks for the responses & advice  ;D

Nope , unless you consider me a virus , worm  ;D

GreenMachine ,

Thanks for the advice  ;D

Hey schramm The solution worked great and to bannerjohn I ordered some of them towels. Thanks to every one.

First of all...Schramm that was kinda out of line and rude in my book, he was just adding onto the question that you had already answered, no reason for the back lashing.  In my opinion......lets all try to keep these forums a civil place.

Roger.....Denatured alcohol is my go to for removing adhesive as well as car waxes and stuff before I apply, that or the citrus goo gone works well too.  Denatured alcohol is alot more aggressive than rubbing alcohol.

For cleaning before applying as well as cleaning residu....I have found a micro fiber cloth about as good as it gets.  They are lint free, cheap (bundles of em at wal mart in the car detailing for like 5 bucks), and hold up pretty well to abuse and washing.  Their texture gets into nooks and crannies as well as lends itself to being an effective yet not harsh scrubber.

Guest Schramm

Ok I guess that I am rude then but really I dont see it that way.  I gave everyone a solution mix that has worked for me for almost 20 years and costs almost nothing to make a gallon.  Dont really care what people use at the end of the day as it doesnt effect my business one bit, just thought I was being helpful - GUESS NOT! :police:

Ok I guess that I am rude then but really I dont see it that way.  I gave everyone a solution mix that has worked for me for almost 20 years and costs almost nothing to make a gallon.  Dont really care what people use at the end of the day as it doesnt effect my business one bit, just thought I was being helpful - GUESS NOT! :police:

You have been thanked for your recipe.

The comment you made to Rodger WAS rude(and uncalled for)..it has already been explained that he was not talking about using a heat gun to remove the residue...but had used a heat gun to remove the vinyl. No idea why you didn't get it. It doesn't matter whether YOU see yourself as being rude, it matters how others see it..and apparently they have.