Sign in to follow this  
Kwelp68

Really Really Frustrated. Do I Need To Talk To Ken??

So, after owning my 871 for three weeks, the cutter blade does not move vertically as of yesterday.  I have many orders that are on a deadline.  I have a large order on Thursday, and another one that was supposed to go out yesterday.  I had a horrible nights sleep due to the stress this is causing me.

I spoke to three different people at Uscutter to get this issue resolved yesterday.  My wife spoke to two.  One of the guys, I won't say his name, was just downright rude to both of us. 

I was told that I can order the carriage replacement, which would "hopefully" fix the cutter, and then be reimbursed for the part.  On this, no one seems to know if it is the carriage or the motherboard.  The screws are so tight on the panel to get to the motherboard that I can't get them off.  On the carriage, I don't see how to take it off, and I don't have a soldering iron to replace it.  Not only that, but I don't feel like I should have to solder in a part to a machine that is three weeks old. 

My other option is to ship my machine in to have it fixed, but that could take up to two weeks.  My customers won't wait two weeks to get orders they have already placed. 

I asked if I could buy a new cutter, and send this one back.  Yes, I can do this, but if I do this, I not only have to pay a restocking fee, but I have to pay for the cutter to ship to me, and to ship my 3 week old cutter back. 

I really feel like this whole situation is just downright ridiculous.  My wife and I run two businesses, and customer service is number 1.  I really feel like I'm getting completely jacked here. 

Oh, and if I buy a new cutter to replace the one that hasn't lasted a month, total shipping fees and restocking fees add up to half of the price I paid for this cutter 3 weeks ago. 

How is this fair customer service??

whoever you spoke to at US Cutter who was rude to you SHOULD be names,though I don't need for you to in order to guess who it was. If it is who I think it is,this seems to be a pattern and this person doesn't need to be dealing directly with customers.

I wish I could help you in some way but I cannot. If you were close enough to me, I would let you borrow one of my cutters to finish your jobs.

That is really kind of you.  Thank you for the reply and kind words.  It really blew me away to be treated the way I was by this guy.  He got an attitude with me, and I wasn't worked up at all or anything.  My wife calls, and the same thing happened to her.

If I bought a brand new tv and it didn't work after three weeks, I don't know of a company that would tell me I needed to solder in a new transistor.  They would take it back and send a new one.  Not to mention, make me pay a restocking fee and shipping both ways for the old and new.  In both our businesses, if there's a problem with a product we sell, we take care of our customers, and do it with smiles on our faces. 

I'm not an emotional person, but man, I just wanted to cry yesterday.  Now, I have to get this figured out asap.  I can't wait two weeks to get this thing fixed, and I don't think that I should have to take the thing apart and repair it myself when it's three weeks old. 

Not to mention, I just bought wall vinyl and transfer tape from here, and with our orders growing, was planning on buying all my vinyl supplies from here. 

Kwelp, I do understand that the situation is really tough to be in, but sometimes that is part of working with machines that you depend on.  UScutter would fix your cutter under warranty and you would get reimbursed, but you don't want to work on the cutter.  Now the sending it back and such, if its broken I think there is NO REASON uscutter should charge a restock fee, and I would go so far as to say they should meet you halfway on shipping, you send the old one back, they send the new one out, but if their policy states otherwise that probably won't happen.  Trust me we ALL pull our hair out when something goes wrong with the cutter when we depend on it, thats why most of the experienced guys out there will have backups.

These chinese cutters, as much as I love mine, will have problems, I expect that.  I also don't think its crazy that UScutter would want to help walk you through fixing your machine with a soldering iron, but also think that if you are uncomfortable with that, there should be another option.  Not everyone likes to solder on things like I do :thumbsup:.  Also I doubt Ken would have made any difference, this has been a UScutter company policy for awhile now, they want to help you fix their cutter....simple as that.

You have a pm about maybe helping get some of your orders done, because it sounds like to me you are going to be stuck for a bit. 

Also there is NO EXCUSE for someone being rude, these are machines we depend on for our business, and some people need to understand that a bit. 

Thanks for the reply man.  I completely understand policies, but this would be different if the machine was 6 months or a year old, but three weeks?? 

I would be satisfied if there was no restocking fee and I was met halfway on shipping.  That seems fair to me being as new as the cutter is.  Going to check pm...

"Also I doubt Ken would have made any difference"

The difference would have been that Ken would not have been RUDE.

I have never..anywhere,from any company,heard of having to pay a restocking fee on a DEFECTIVE product.

If you don't want the rude customer 'service' person named on the forums, PM me with it. The owner of USC doesn't read the forums very much but he reads my emails. He will hear of it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  What the hell is a restocking fee on something that didn't last a month??  That's ridiculous. 

You know I could see all this if they were doing any quality control on the units they received. I get the impression the cutters are never opened and checked at all. So any defects get passed on to the customers and they pass off the costs of quality control to the end user.

I think they are opened long enough to insert the chosen software...but no idea if they are checked in any way. Of course, a working cutter can be damaged in transit.We all know how careful UPS is with packages.

Well, and in my eyes, that is fine.  I wouldn't expect companies to check all their electronics before sending them out.  But when one ends up being defective, the cost of business should be that you take care of the customer and replace it.  I should not have to pay restocking fees on broken merchandise.  I should not have to solder and replace parts on a three week old machine.  I should not have to pay shipping twice on an exchange for a new nondefective unit. 

Every manufacturer of electronic products has a testing station. Every TV is turned on to make sure it works as it should. Even Dell, as many comps as they sell,tests every one before it ships.

USC has grown a lot..I am beginning to think faster than their ability to maintain the quality of service that they were once know for.

As much as it sucks, I'd say send it back and let them fix it. 

Being out two weeks without a cutter isn't ideal, but when we (owners of Refine, PCUT, LP's) purchased low-end/low budget cutters did any of us really think we'd get next business day service?  I know I didn't.  Anytime you have to send a device back to a company for repair there will be a decent amount of downtime.  Two weeks isn't unreasonable.  I'm not trying to defend uscutter here nor will I.  If they cared they'd promote their employees to be more active in the support forums.

Also, if you bought it off of eBay be sure to get it fixed soon.  Your warranty is only 90 days I believe.  If you bought direct your warranty should be 1 year.

As for the person being rude, that's not acceptable.  Personally, I'd blast that person in the forums.  At the very least, take BannerJohn's offer up and email him the person's name.

Best of luck.

Yes being rude is unaccceptable on the phone, and Ken why maybe not being able to circumvent the policy, would have at least been kind about it.  Like I said though the restocking fee to send back a malfunctioning cutter under warranty is stupid.  1 of 2 things need to happen, either they need to send you a part and walk you through fixing it, (fastest option, but doesn't sound like you are comfortable with that) or you send your cutter back, they send you a new one (or fix it and send it back at the very least), no restocking fee each side pays one part shipping, and everyone moves on, if not USC paying shipping both ways, but that will take time because you cannot expect USC to send out a cutter without receiving one first or you paying for one and getting reimbursed.

Come ON USC, meet a guy halfway and treat your customers right and we will love you for it!  Having someone uncomfortable soldering or working on electronics having to fix the cutter being the only reasonable solution for them is kinda crazy, at least exchange cutters with no restocking fee!

Hey, I really appreciate all your support.  I really hope that we can resolve this today.  We're going to call and see if we can buy a new one at 4 day shipping, and send this one back as an exchange.

not defending anyone's rudeness.lack of service,or policies in any way here...I think you have a VERY valid complaint...but I have said it many times,and will say it again: If you are in business, you need a back-up cutter. You can't run down to Walmart and pick up a new one if yours messes up. And since a good $400 job  would pay for another cutter, there is really no excuse. THis advice is not aimed at you in particular but at everyone who does this for money and has customers with daedlines.

Now, USC knows what they should do...whether they will do it remains to be seen.

Maybe the President should do an ebay search for vinyl cutters and see how many other sellers there are,and think about what made USC better than them.

I completely agree about having a backup cutter.  It would've have been nice to have the first one last long enough to afford a back up.

I did one $30.00 order.  Yesterday, I got halfway through my second order ($200.00), and that's when it quit.  So now I'm stuck without being able to send out my second finished order.  I have another order that has been paid for.  I was waiting on vinyl from Uscutter, lol.  I should get that today, but I don't have a cutter to use.

I wonder what they would have done if this had been a $3500.00 Roland or Graphtec ?

Seeing that there is really no manufacture of the imports it's kind of hard to fall back on them.

I can picture the phone call to Roland...

Yes Sir,    three weeks old

Yes,       They want ME to pay for the shipping back and the restocking fee of a defective cutter...

Yes,       They said I could take it apart and solder it myself

LOL  You get the idea.

If I went to Wally World and bought a namebrand TV and it lasted three weeks and when I took it back

they wanted to sell me a soldering iron to fix it, I would have the resources to call maker of the TV and demand to have something done, as they would  most likely value their name.

with the imports we just don't have that option, kind of a catch 22 -  get a cheap price on a cutter if it works great, if it don't WELL we all know what it really costs then.

Also I understand a restocking fee is usually charged if you send a item back that you do not want for one reason or another, NOT if it's defective or damaged. Why would they want to put it back in stock if it don't work? Unless they fix it and then sell it to some unfortunate soul. Hmmmm.  

OK  I'm done  had a bad night at work and needed to vent.

Dave

Kwelp, I'm sorry to hear of your experience and totally agree to pay a restocking fee on a 3 week old cutter is CRAZY!!

I hope things get resolved quickly.........also sorry to hear you and your wife were rudely talked to! That alone can be devastating to a business if they don't watch it!!  :thumbsup:

I wonder what they would have done if this had been a $3500.00 Roland or Graphtec ?

Seeing that there is really no manufacture of the imports it's kind of hard to fall back on them.

I can picture the phone call to Roland...

Yes Sir,    three weeks old

Yes,       They want ME to pay for the shipping back and the restocking fee of a defective cutter...

Yes,       They said I could take it apart and solder it myself

LOL  You get the idea.

If I went to Wally World and bought a namebrand TV and it lasted three weeks and when I took it back

they wanted to sell me a soldering iron to fix it, I would have the resources to call maker of the TV and demand to have something done, as they would  most likely value their name.

with the imports we just don't have that option, kind of a catch 22 -  get a cheap price on a cutter if it works great, if it don't WELL we all know what it really costs then.

Also I understand a restocking fee is usually charged if you send a item back that you do not want for one reason or another, NOT if it's defective or damaged. Why would they want to put it back in stock if it don't work? Unless they fix it and then sell it to some unfortunate soul. Hmmmm.  

OK  I'm done  had a bad night at work and needed to vent.

Dave

I see what you are saying here.....but a cutter is NOT an appliance, and shouldn't be compared to one.  Its a machine or tool used to precision cut a product.  If you bought a CNC machine you would be expected to troubleshoot it and possibly work on it, or if it was an expensive enough one they would send out a tech, but probably only if you payed for some kind of advanced support option.  If you bought a tractor for a farm, you work on it or pay someone to work on it, many times even if its under warranty still and these are $150,000 machines.  If you buy a computer it can be the same deal.  If I owned a graphtech or a Roland I would expect parts to be available for me to work on my cutter while its in warranty, and after......that is one of the reason I bought a refine because I knew I could work on it because USC has the parts available if something breaks.  To me it is not unreasonable at all for USC to want someone to work on a machine as it is the fastest and cheapest way for both parties to get the problem fixed and people on their way again.  However, USC needs to realize not everyone is comfortable with that, and should have another good option, albeit slower, like sending the cutter in for repair with both parties paying half shipping, or a quick exchange with half shipping, while the machine is still under warranty.

My .02

I just don't see why there can't be some meeting in the middle, like no restock charge, and split on shipping?  I was sold a defective product, and I need a replacement asap.  I don't think that I'm being unreasonable.

We are a wholesale company, and of course we rely on our customers.  This order that I am halfway through is a first time order from a retail store in New Zealand.  If I can't deliver, I can lose a customer for life.  I can't have that.  Not only will I lose the sale that I am working on, but I could lose multiple future sales.  I don't know how Uscutter feels about losing customers for life, but I know in my business, I can't have that.   

Some of your points are valid and I agree to a point.

As for working on a Roland or such yourself I would almost bet that if you did while in warranty it would void that warranty. Granted comparing a Refine to a Roland is like comparing apples to oranges.

If I paid that much for a machine of anykind and it was that new, even though I could fix it myself I doubt that I would. That is one of the reasons that the costs of presion items be it a cutter or a tractor have the high costs that they have, to pay for the support that you might need.

If I bought a new car and the transmission went out while I still had a warranty on it even though I'm able, I'll be dang if I'm going to change it myself. that's why they cost so much to pay the mechanics at the dealerships that are waiting on that defective transmission to change. I also know that I wouldn't be responsible for the tow charges, as it was still under warranty.

tlzimmerman - Please understand that I'm not trying to start a war, It just seems lately that USC has disregarded the ones that have made them who they are. There are a few posts about rudeness and such with a attitude from USC that if you have a problem you will do as they say with no in between or compromise on the issue.

Anyway I'm done now I'll set and watch how USC handles this one.

I do know that in the next few months I'll be looking at a better cutter and if things don't change alittle at USC I'll be looking elsewhere..

Two Thumbs up to all that make this forum what it is.. :thumbsup::)

Dave

honestly you are wasting your time posting here. Company policy seems to be nobody from US Cutter reads the forums til after 3pm central time...6pm on the east coast. If they aren;t open now they should be shortly. Keep calling til you get someone who actually knows how to deal with customers and keep on to them until they do the right thing.

The cost of shipping it back is what working on the cutters yourself is about . The shipping policy is stated in the E-Bay auctions & on the USC site  ( " All sales are final. No refunds will be allowed. If your machine needs warranty service (within the warranty term), you will be required to pay for shipping in both directions. In many cases, we can minimize the shipping cost by offering parts replacement options " ) . Ship it back & they will fix it . It sucks that a 3 week old cutter needs repair , but when I bought my 2 cutters , I knew I was taking a chance buying something that has to be shipped instead of buying from a local supplier ( the local supplier is still far enough away to make it cheaper to ship ) . The difference was about 5 X the cost so I knew I would come out ahead no matter what . I would advise buying a 2nd cutter because everything breaks down occasionally .  :thumbsup:

edit ; most stuff on E-Bay & generally anything that has to be shipped has a clause that says refunds on purchase price only & shipping has to paid by customer .