Sign in to follow this  
harmfulgraphics

Sandblasted back lit mirror

Still reading a bunch and see several people do sandblasting.  I think sandblasting is great!!  I'm always trying something different.  Anyway, this started out as a bathroom mirror from Lowes.  I did this for a friend back in December and gave it to him at our anual awards banquet in January.  I used Avery vinyl for the stencil and a garnet blast media.  Clean everything up, add vinyl to the back side, put it together and "Plug er in".  It looks better in real life, kind of looks pink in the picture but actually is red.  I seem to have a problem taking pictures of lights.

Harm

post-5428-12986539423889_thumb.jpg

post-5428-12986539435388_thumb.jpg

Hey harmful... that is neat....You must not live to far from me,,  So where ya from?  I live in North Manchester,,, I recoginzed Bunker Hill

Looks great !

what kind of paint did you use ?

No paint.  Used vinyl on the back side and this lets the light come thru when it's turned on.  I've tried using paint in the past but no luck with it when you are lighting it from the back.  Using paint, it looks great untill it's lit and then everything looks splotchy.

Harm

Dummy here, where did you sandblast the mirror?

Did you cover it with vinyl?

I don't get it.

Regards Duke.

Dummy here, where did you sandblast the mirror?

Did you cover it with vinyl?

I don't get it.

Regards Duke.

I made a stencil in reverse and weeded it as a negative.  Place it on the back side of the mirror.  Sandblast away the silver on the back of the mirror leaving just the glass.  Cut vinyl and place it on the back side over the areas you have sandblasted.  ie, the blue around the nhra is blue vinyl, the red is red vinyl and the outer ring is white vinyl.  Yes I had to use the white vinyl too and not just leave it with a frosted look.  If left just frosted, it is much too bright and kind of blinds your eyes to the rest of the sign.  The white vinyl tones it down and everything looks nice.

I've actually done a bunch of these lights.  Some for local businesses, a bunch of sports teams and a few motorcycle logo's (HD).  Lowes had a close out on these lights back in November.  When I found them, I only got three lights.  Made them up and they sold quick (local bowling alley).  I went back and got all they had, eighty some lights.  I'm down to nine lights now.  Wish I could find more!!

Harm

Great job1 ;D What are u using for a light source?

Any chance that you can have a pic of the back side and post it ?

Doesn't have to be just that one, any other will do it

thanks  ;D

Looks great. I'm curious, where's the mirror? Did you sandblast all of it off?

Lowes had a close out on these lights back in November.  When I found them, I only got three lights.  Made them up and they sold quick (local bowling alley).  I went back and got all they had, eighty some lights.  I'm down to nine lights now.  Wish I could find more!!

Harm

What was the SKU # on those? I would like to check around at a few Lowes stores in my area. Excellent work!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I can see how these would sell themselves continuously! Thanks for sharing!

Z

Looks great. I'm curious, where's the mirror? Did you sandblast all of it off?

When you are looking at the picture, everything but the blue, red and white is mirror. 

Harm

Lowes had a close out on these lights back in November.  When I found them, I only got three lights.  Made them up and they sold quick (local bowling alley).  I went back and got all they had, eighty some lights.  I'm down to nine lights now.  Wish I could find more!!

Harm

What was the SKU # on those? I would like to check around at a few Lowes stores in my area. Excellent work!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I can see how these would sell themselves continuously! Thanks for sharing!

Z

The item number on the box is 145754 and is a 20 inch fluoresent lighted mirror

Harm

that is probably the most coolest thing I've ever seen in my life. I gotta try that. awesome job. so about how much they selling for and how much were the lights?

I gotta try that. awesome job. so about how much they selling for and how much were the lights?

Z

Guest Schramm

WOW how the heck did I miss this one?  That is really cool and the idea of using vinyl may be good.  I have done similar things using 2 way mirrors as the item looks just like a normal mirror til you plug it in and then the design shows up.